INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD128 on Lynx Hilo  (Read 6749 times)

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
DSD128 on Lynx Hilo
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »

I have an album that's DSD128 and it doesn't play on my Lynx Hilo.  How can I make it play with JRiver MC19? 

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSD128 on Lynx Hilo
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:45 pm »

Turn off bitstreaming and it will play.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:06:59 pm »

Or not.  MC19 just crashes and shuts down.  I thought you needed bitstreaming for DSD?  Are you telling me that since it's 128 bitstreaming must be off?  So every time I'd want to listen to this album I'd have to turn it off?
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:15:16 pm »

Well crap, I learn something new every day, I had set bit streaming on and set it to custom, DSD over PCM (DOP Format v1) because that is what I thought is what was required to output native DSD to my DAC, but I just disabled it and I am still getting output. But I think the output is DSD converted to PCM with bit streaming disabled, is that correct?

So if I want native DSD playback I should have bit streaming enabled?

Or Matt was your response specific to the Lynx Hilo which I believe only supports DSD64?

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:51 pm »

Or not.  MC19 just crashes and shuts down.  I thought you needed bitstreaming for DSD?  Are you telling me that since it's 128 bitstreaming must be off?  So every time I'd want to listen to this album I'd have to turn it off?

You'll have to pick a sample rate the Hilo supports in DSP Studio > Output Format.  Try something conservative first, like 96kHz for the 'Greater than 192kHz setting'.  More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:26:47 pm »

Or Matt was your response specific to the Lynx Hilo which I believe only supports DSD64?

Yes.  My understanding is that it does DoP for 1xDSD only.  For 2xDSD, you can convert to PCM or convert to 1xDSD using MC.  In either of those cases, you'll turn off bitstreaming.

ua100k

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:45 pm »

Lynx is a PCM type DAC, hence you are better off doing the dsd and 2xDSD conversion on the computer and sending it to the Hilo as PCM. All Hilo does with the DSD is convert it back to PCM.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 07:23:07 am »

Yes.  My understanding is that it does DoP for 1xDSD only.  For 2xDSD, you can convert to PCM or convert to 1xDSD using MC.  In either of those cases, you'll turn off bitstreaming.
Hmm.  I'm really confused now.  I thought bitstreaming had to be one and then custom....

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 03:07:47 pm »

Maybe this will help. I have an MSB Analog DAC, it can output both DSD64 and DSD128

So to hear either DSD64 or DSD128 files via JRiver to my DAC with no conversion to PCM format, the settings I use are as follows:

"Bitstreaming": Yes (DSD over PCM (DoP))

Which you configure by doing, 

Tools->Options->Bitstreaming->Custom->DSD over PCM (DoP) and DoP Format: DoP 1.0

I believe the difference in your case is your DAC will only do DSD64. If you only had DSD64 files you would just use the setting I have above (unless your DAC used the "Legacy" DoP format.

However since your DAC cannot playback DSD128 files, you need to follow one of the two paths Matt indicated for any DSD128 files you play.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »

Thanks Barr!

I emailed the company and they sent me the DSD64 version so I can leave it with the custom setting so all my DSD will work without having to switch anything.   ;)

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 10:53:07 pm »

Ah, good to hear! Nice customer service as well.

Barr

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:10:27 am »

Nice customer service as well.

Barr

Yes!

My podcast:
Pages: [1]   Go Up