INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non Operational functions & more  (Read 2592 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
Non Operational functions & more
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:23:42 am »

The DSP > parametric equalizer > 'Adjust Volume' add on doesn't allow any number to be input to change it from 0dB.

And speaking of volume control.
In version 18 we could 'manually' adjust the total amount of volume adjustment by adding a fixed (or other options) to the total change made to the output volume.  Is this going to be added back in at some point?

Thanks  JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Non Operational functions & more
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:13:41 am »

I can reproduce the problem with not being able to adjust the volume level.  Thanks for the report, it'll be fixed in the next build.
On the other topic, where were you making this manual adjustment in MC18?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »

Yes.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 02:59:55 pm »

No, I mean where within MC18 are you making the adjustment?  Maybe a screenshot would help.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »

Here are 2 screen shots
The shot with the fixed adjustment allows for a bit more control.

JJ

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 04:26:40 pm »

When you use Volume Leveling, MC19 will always target the R128 reference level.

If you want more volume than this, there are a few approaches:

1) Turn up the volume (slider, hardware volume, etc.)

or

2) Enable 'Adaptive Volume' in 'Peak level normalize mode'.  This will make the playlist as loud as possible while maintaining a level volume throughout the playlist.  The volume level between playlists will vary.

or

3) Use Parametric Equalizer to add volume to the signal chain.  With this, you run the risk of clipping (#1 will never clip).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 04:55:26 pm »

Thanks for the ideas/options

I'll play around with them. 
But just to clarify what I'm doing, I want to reduce the output to better match the gain from my headamp so that its volume control is somewhere in the 12 o'clock position for optimal channel balance.

So you could say my system has too much gain and its 'better' to make these adjustments before the DAC and amp.  And these days what with the volume wars and the all to common opinion that more is better, I find that sometimes I need to crank down the volume as much as 15dB in some cases.

JJ

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:08:17 pm »

I was thinking the problem was that it wasn't loud enough.

If it's still too loud with Volume Leveling enabled, just turn the volume down more.

I'd recommend using MC's internal volume.  It's 64-bit with dithering on the output side, making it the highest quality volume possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:27:05 pm »

Yeah I use that control but it is linked to the volume control of my DAC (PWD using the network).
My ideal would be to use MC's volume reduction for a 'set amount' of reduction and then add a small adjustment (if needed) at the DAC.  And volume leveling is enabled but since network mode takes away the control of internal vs. system volume control, they remain linked.

And as I understand it, using the internal digital volume control of a DAC also reduces it's S/N ratio by a corresponding amount, which makes an external volume control is a decidedly good thing.

JJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up