INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why can't play dsd with mps-3 ?  (Read 3459 times)

nbmsa

• Recent member
Why can't play dsd with mps-3 ?
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:43:18 am »

>:(
Hi,I have a problem when I use playback  mps-3.  When I Select Options > Audio  >AUDIO DEVICE, the ONLY choose  is "core audio--more--core audio" ,no "asio"or other ...   AND in "output format---output  encoding", all i can do is  choose "NONE" . If i choose "dsd in dop" or " 2X DSD" , MAC JR 19 will silent....

How can I do ? 
Thanks,

--alan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Why can't play dsd with mps-3 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »

Welcome.

Could you describe your DAC?  Only some hardware supports DoP.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 05:52:04 pm »

I believe he has a Playback Designs  MPS-3 (CD Player & DAC) which has the following specs, USB for PCM up to 24 / 384kHz, and USB for DSD up to 6.1MHz.

Question for OP, on your Mac, if you run Audio MIDI Setup (located in Utilities folder), do you see the DAC?

If yes, you should when running MC19 and go into "Tools->Option->Output Mode Settings" you should see your DAC in the Device dropdown.

Also you do not use ASIO on a Mac, you leverage Core Audio.

p.s. and the J River setup screenshots on the Playback Designs site shows the PC version of J River....
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

nbmsa

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:08:58 pm »

I believe he has a Playback Designs  MPS-3 (CD Player & DAC) which has the following specs, USB for PCM up to 24 / 384kHz, and USB for DSD up to 6.1MHz.

Question for OP, on your Mac, if you run Audio MIDI Setup (located in Utilities folder), do you see the DAC?

If yes, you should when running MC19 and go into "Tools->Option->Output Mode Settings" you should see your DAC in the Device dropdown.

Also you do not use ASIO on a Mac, you leverage Core Audio.

p.s. and the J River setup screenshots on the Playback Designs site shows the PC version of J River....

Thank you...

Yes I  a Playback Designs  MPS-3 (CD Player & DAC) which has the following specs, USB for PCM up to 24 / 384kHz, and USB for DSD up to 6.1MHz. 
AND  I run Audio MIDI Setup (located in Utilities folder), can see the DAC---mps-3
BUT IN MAC JR 18 &19 ,I  can't use ASIO....

MPS-3  run  DSD perfectly  in  Windows 7 & 8

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »

That is correct, ASIO is for Windows systems only, no ASIO on Mac.

Your settings should be something along the line of this for MC19 on your Mac:

Tools->Options->Audio

Core Audio - Core Audio

Device Settings - (Clicking this opens a dialog box that it titled "Core Audio Settings") - Device:"Your DAC Here" - click the drop down arrow in this dialog and your options should be (Default), Built in Output, and "Your DAC here", select your DAC.

Assuming you can get that to function we can than move to how you would configure it for DSD output.

Do you have both redbook and DSD files or just redbook?

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

nbmsa

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:41:45 am »

Tools->Options->Audio

Core Audio - Core Audio

Device Settings - (Clicking this opens a dialog box that it titled "Core Audio Settings") - Device:"Your DAC Here" - click the drop down arrow in this dialog and your options should be (Default), Built in Output, and "Your DAC here", select your DAC.

Assuming you can get that to function we can than move to how you would configure it for DSD output.

Thanks...
Device Settings,I can select my dac ---mps-3

I only just  rebook, and  what's  meaning--"DSD files"?

nbmsa

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:44:05 am »

Tools->Options->Audio

Core Audio - Core Audio

Thanks...
Device Settings,I can select my dac ---mps-3

I only just  rebook, and  what's  meaning--"DSD files"?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 10:11:51 am »

DSD files are a different file type than standard Redbook.  Redbook files (from CD or downloads) are 16/44.1. DSD files are either derived from SACDS or available as a download from certain sites, ie Acoustic Sounds, etc...and are considered higher resolution, similar but different to other high resolution files in PCM format which might be 24/96 or 24/192.

Given you only have Redbook, there are no other configuration changes you should be required to make to playback your music. Is everything now working for you?

nbmsa

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 03:40:08 am »

DSD files are a different file type than standard Redbook.  Redbook files (from CD or downloads) are 16/44.1. DSD files are either derived from SACDS or available as a download from certain sites, ie Acoustic Sounds, etc...and are considered higher resolution, similar but different to other high resolution files in PCM format which might be 24/96 or 24/192.

Given you only have Redbook, there are no other configuration changes you should be required to make to playback your music. Is everything now working for you?

THANKS...
I have 6T  SACD ISO

nbmsa

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 03:46:54 am »

While playing DSD file , MAC  JRiver still running in PCM  mode

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 10:20:33 am »

OK, I assume you have playback working now. To enable playback of your DSD files in DSD format as opposed to PCM do the following:

Tools->Options->Audio

Settings->Bit Streaming->Custom

Select "DSD over PCM (DoP)"

For DoP Format choose "DoP 1.0"

Click OK.

Pages: [1]   Go Up