INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REW with MC and room acoustic measurements  (Read 2930 times)

scomed99

• Recent member
REW with MC and room acoustic measurements
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:28:02 am »

Hi,

is it possible to use REW with MC for room audio analysis?

Laptop with ASIO audio card and microphone with REW--->2ch analog out--->HTPC with JRiver MC

My HTPC have MIC in (Realtek audio board inside MOBO) and 16 AES IN of Lynx AES16.

There's some setting in MC for playing 2ch REW input?

Thanks

guido310

• Recent member
Re: REW with MC and room acoustic measurements
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:30 am »

Hi, i have the same issue with Audiolense, if installed in the same computer of MC is not possible to play trough JRiver ASIO and record with another device (realtek or Lynx Aes or whatever else)
I need to use JRiver audio output because it makes all the crossovers on my speakers
I am trying to work around this problem with the help of a Hauppauge Colossus to add inputs in MC, but the only that works is HDMI, if i try analog audio capture via RCA and component input i have no signal incoming
If i configure hauppauge card inside MC i can only check a "devices requires cable to connect" but if i do that i have error in audio render and can not reverse, shoul unistall JRiver and install again
If i install Hauppauge wintv7 to configure Colossus' inputs i loose video in MC

I think the only way is to use a second PC with Audiolense or REW with an unprotected HDMI output (motherboard, GPU or USB-HDMI adapter) to perform measurments and send HDMI audio to colossus and than JRiver to output audio via Lynx aes to my DAC

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:33 am »

Laptop with ASIO audio card and microphone with REW--->2ch analog out--->HTPC with JRiver MC

My HTPC have MIC in (Realtek audio board inside MOBO) and 16 AES IN of Lynx AES16.

There's some setting in MC for playing 2ch REW input?

Thanks
I would suggest that you do measurements on just the laptop or the HTPC. I don't see an point in trying to route the signal from the laptop to the HTPC. You can install JRiver on both with one license.

Use the Java driver in REW and select Default Device for output. Use the WASAPI Loopback (Tools > Open Live) to route the output through JRiver. You can search for some threads here on how to use WASAPI Loopback. Now all of REW's playback will be routed through JRiver. To measure different speakers and subs, add Order Channels to the Parametric Equalizer in JRiver. Move the Left Channel down in Order Channels one step at a time and measure. This will allow you to quickly take measurements of everything without changing outputs in REW.

If you want to measure with the HPTC, you can get the Tascam US-366. It acts as the mic preamp and has AES output. I use one to measure with my Lynx AES16e card. You need an RCA to XLR cable for the Tascam to the Lynx.

After taking measurements, you can have REW suggest filters for entering into the Parametric Equalizer. If using the laptop to measure, you can enter the filters into the laptop first and then tranfer to the HTPC one you get the desired results.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:02 am »

After taking measurements, you can have REW suggest filters for entering into the Parametric Equalizer. If using the laptop to measure, you can enter the filters into the laptop first and then tranfer to the HTPC one you get the desired results.

I need to bookmark this thread :).

A mic is on my wishlist as well, I was thinking of this one.

A silly question perhaps, but I thought REW would output a convolution file instead of PEQ values?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:21:39 am »

A silly question perhaps, but I thought REW would output a convolution file instead of PEQ values?
REW creates a list of EQ filters when you use the EQ window. There are two ways to get these values into JRiver. First, they can be manually entered into JRiver's PEQ. You can't currently export/import the PEQ values into JRiver.

Second, you can export the filters impulse response as a wav file in REW. You then need to create your own convolution cfg file that points to the correct wav file for each channel. You can load this cfg file into JRiver's convolution engine.

It would be easier if JRiver let you load the wav file for each channel in the convolution engine.

I should also mention here that Audiolense software is great for taking initial room measurements and can be used for free for taking the measurements. It will measure all speakers/subwoofers sequentially without having to change anything. Once the measurement is complete, you can export the measurement and it will create a file for each speaker. In REW you then Import Impulse Response to open each file and can generate EQ for each measurement. Audiolense will also show you the exact delay to use for each speaker. You don't get this with REW.

guido310

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »

Thank you, how to route audiolense into JRiver?? Loopback from lynx aes outputs??

Thanks

Lonx

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:41:14 pm »

I'll have to give this loopback option a try, might get around the issue of REW not allowing Java mic driver to be used when asio output is selected... 

Huge +1 for better handling of rew's filter output options. Manually entering eq points and retesting is very tedious :(

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:34:06 pm »

Thank you, how to route audiolense into JRiver?? Loopback from lynx aes outputs??

Thanks
If you use enable Direct Sound Measurement and Separate Play and Recording Streams in Audiolense, then you can use the JRiver loopback. You may also be able to select the JRiver ASIO driver for output, but I haven't tried it yet. I may get a chance to try some things this weekend.

guido310

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:29 am »

Ok it does work by enabling separate play and record, is it possible to select JRiver ASIO driver as output and Lynx Direct sound or MME recording!!!
Not necessay do loopback
Which is best between DS and MME?
In this case we cannot use ASIO in recording, right??
Thanks

Wilhelm Kabus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 05:50:13 am »

Use the WASAPI Loopback (Tools > Open Live) to route the output through JRiver.

Hi! The menu item OPEN LIVE... Both my REW and JRiver have a Tools menu. But none contains a OPEN LIVE command. Where can I find this command? Or what must do done to get it?

Best regards

guido310

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:00:57 pm »

Hi is not in tools in JRiver but in the first Window menu top left, where you chiose FILES to play

Wilhelm Kabus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:33:30 pm »

Thanks - found it :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up