INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac volume control buttons do not work when MediaCenter is running  (Read 2281 times)

RonJeffries

• Recent member

I have MediaCenter running the DAC connection to my Decco2 amplifier. Works fine.

However, the Mac's speaker buttons (mute, softer, louder) no longer work when MC is running. Normally you press them, and the Mac's speakers' volume is controlled (or muted). With MC running (playing through the Decco/USB) the mac still makes its system noises through its speakers, but you can't control them with the keyboard. You can control the sound from the Preferences.

Advise me, please.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mac volume control buttons do not work when MediaCenter is running
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:30 am »

When you click the speaker icon in MC, is "System Volume" checked?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:33:53 am »

I've tried it on a few settings. I'm not at home now, will try again when I get back and report further. Do I recall correctly that I need to stop the player and restart it for those changes to take effect? Do I need to exit the program, or just press stop and then start something new?

And which setting for volume should I use for DAC connection? It seems to have essentially no effect in any case, on the sound coming out of the stereo.

Thanks!

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:20 am »

Here's a link to our Wiki page on volume modes:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Mode_Details

Note this comment in the Wiki:
Internal Volume is useful in cases when hardware does not offer a volume, which is common with high-end sound cards and DACs.

Just stop/restart playback after making changes.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:34 am »

Thanks, I'll give that a go when I get home. I"d really like to have ability to control system volume separately when running MC. My guess from here is that I didn't restart the stream after changing it.

Thanks,

RonJeffries

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:50:14 pm »

Here's my report:

Running MC 19.0.55. Playing through USB to DAV on Decco2.

With MC running, the pop up icons on the Mac Screen for pressing the volume control buttons NEVER appear, in all three settings.

On System Volume, the icons do not appear, the volume bar in MC goes up and down, and music is not affected. System sound (beeps through speakers) is controlled by the buttons ... but no icons show up.

On Internal Volume, the icons to not appear, the volume bar in MC goes up and down, and music is affected somewhat.

On Disabled Volume, the icons do not appear, and pressing the keys results in a message in the now playing window saying volume is disabled. Music is of course not affected.

Exiting MC brings the on-screen icons back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up