INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crash when sending core commands or keystrokes  (Read 1637 times)

ti_dust

• Recent member
Crash when sending core commands or keystrokes
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:58:15 pm »

I've had an issue with MC18/19 for quite a while now, and I think its time to figure it out.  I use a IR remote and EventGhost to control MC19 remotely.  I've tried sending keystrokes, or sending core commands, but it causes MC to crash - not every time but fairly often.

For example, issuing the command "MC19.exe /MCC 10000" from a command prompt will cause my MC to crash after only issuing it a few times.  Because these crashes happen with eventghost, as well as directly from a command prompt, I've concluded the problem is with MC itself.

I will be happy to follow any instructions and give any amount of assistance to get this problem fixed.  I've tried excluding the entire MC folder under Program Files (x86) in my antivirus and it didn't help.  I've seen this with MC18/19, and maybe even MC17 - I can't remember for sure.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Crash when sending core commands or keystrokes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »

What version are you using?

ti_dust

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »

I'm using 19.0.54 on Windows 7 x64, but this crashing problems extends quite a ways back.  Let me explain how I can reproduce it on demand - remember that during normal operation, it happens infrequently but enough to be very annoying.  It also tends to do this when entering Theater View (CTRL+4) or when leaving (CTRL+1).

Open a command prompt, type "MC19.exe /MCC 10000" and hit enter.  Hit up arrow to cue the same command, and hit enter again.  Do this one more time, and on the third time - crash.  I gave about 2 seconds in between issuing each command.

By the way - is there a core command for UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/ENTER while in theater view?  The PLAYBACK_ENGINE commands don't work.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:27:17 pm »

Open a command prompt, type "MC19.exe /MCC 10000" and hit enter.  Hit up arrow to cue the same command, and hit enter again.  Do this one more time, and on the third time - crash.  I gave about 2 seconds in between issuing each command.

I can't reproduce this.  It toggles pause, as expected.

Perhaps you're using Kernel Streaming in Options > Audio?  If so, please try WASAPI (or ASIO if you have an ASIO driver).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »

You may also want to check AntiVirus.  I haven't actually seen it happen, but I can imagine that repeated calls to something that does what the mc19.exe launcher does, could trigger some kind of flag (or end up with latency problems) in AV software.

Add mc19.exe to the "exclusion list" for whatever AV software you use, and see if that helps.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ti_dust

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

@glynor: Thanks for the suggestion - I had already tried that with no success, unfortunately.

@JimH: When I use WASAPI I have no crash - so it is probably related to the kernel streaming functionality.  I really don't wish to give up KS as it sounds somewhat better to me than even event-type WASAPI.  My audio device does not support ASIO.

A few other things - I run with the smallest buffer possible, but increasing the buffer size still results in a crash.  I just tried to make MC crash via direct input instead of sending commands, and I can easily make it crash - so its probably not related to the fact that I use a remote - sounds like definitely a KS issue.  I tried running foobar with KS and the same low buffer size, toggling pause many times repeatedly, and I can't get it to crash.

ti_dust

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:30:19 pm »

I forgot to update this thread for others.  It turns out the problem was that I had pause set to fade and this was causing the crashes.  This is an option in the audio section.  I set it to "immediate" and the problem went away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up