INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Year vs. Album Year  (Read 7857 times)

squeedle

• World Citizen
Track Year vs. Album Year
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:32:36 am »

Just wanted to request that MC work for "album year" the way it works for "album artist":
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

If there is an "album year" specified, it should be used. Otherwise, it "falls back" to taking an average of the "date" field, which is what it does now.

I realize there have been previous posts about this, and the recommendation seems to be to create a new field to store the individual track years but to keep the "date" year as the year of the album. But I think this is backwards. The "date" field is the primary field used for playlists, etc. And as such, it should pertain to the individual tracks (on compilations, etc.).

I'm sure there are good reasons for it behaving the way it does, but I'd like to see more options supported natively like you've done for "album artist", rather than adding new custom fields, etc.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Track Year vs. Album Year
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  It seems it would make since if there is a date field attached to each track that it should be the date of that track individually.  Perhaps like you said, it could be "album date".  Although it does seem like a rather obscure problem.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »

I just think that for compilations, there's obviously the year the compilation was released, and then the year the included tracks were released. And both pieces of data seem fairly important. I'm sure users would appreciate this.

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:52:35 am »

Although it does seem like a rather obscure problem.

Could you please specify what you mean exactly? >:(

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:58:32 am »

I just think that for compilations, there's obviously the year the compilation was released, and then the year the included tracks were released. And both pieces of data seem fairly important. I'm sure users would appreciate this.

I am in 100% agreement with squeedles request.

It's driving me nuts that MC is still not able to handle audio compilations as it should although this feature is rather basic and not difficult to implement --> see album vs. track artist.

Thomas

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 03:33:10 am »

Could somebody please comment on this issue?

Thanks, Thomas

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 03:55:24 am »

You could define custom library fields for this purpose, as I have...

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 04:17:01 am »

Not only that. What about album Reissues Vs Original release date.
My tracks specify the original year. The release date goes in the album title...which is messy.
How come we have to resort to workarounds when the program should have this function built in.
I do not want yet another custom field thank you very much.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 04:42:08 am »

You could define custom library fields for this purpose, as I have...

That wouldn't work for predefined headers like "year - album". There you get presently different albums per year if tracks have different dates (samplers e.g.)....

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 12:36:13 am »

Did anything ever come of this suggestion?

if not, does anyone have any tips for automatically calculating an "album year" user field or expression. i.e. is there anyway that you can check if all the tracks in an album have the same year. as was suggested above, this is the same logic as the "album artist (auto)" field.

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 02:40:28 pm »

Unfortunately not.  :(

Actually I am using now the publishing year or the year when the last song was recorded if a sampler contains tracks from different years. Otherwise I would have several different albums in the "year-album" list for just one album which I don't like at all. Also the number of albums is then wrong. So the best is to avoid samplers at all or even identify a track from a sampler as "single" instead. I am still struggling with this issue.

It seems that nobody else is caring about. Actually the only one program I am aware of which supported all these features is no more supported any more (Catraxx). However, this program started originally as a database program for collectors and not as a "juke box" like the Media Center. That's the main difference. Nonetheless, the latest versions have been very powerful in terms of interaction between the database and the ID3 information down to very detailed information about everything and it was able to play music too. 

Sad story for serious record collectors.

Originally the problem was created because the ID3 tag was never intended to contain also album specific information. A compromise for the album artist versus the track artist was the invention of the "various artists" solution. However, a "various years" information wouldn't make sense at all.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:59:32 pm »

Mmmmm. I've raised it as a quick to do idea for mc21, but I'm not holding out much hope. It's not just sampler albums, but best ofs as well. Can't see how treating them as a single track would help though. I'm thinking about a user field (possibly a relational one) that if populated overrides the date on individual tracks in queries that use date to sequence albums. Not perfect, but should work.

ThomasB

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:08:12 pm »

Well, that would mean to ignore the built-in functionality at all and invent a new custom field instead which would then contain the e.g. release date of the album instead of any year/track information. But that would also mean that you would have to do that for ALL of your albums and not only for your samplers and "best of" albums. In my case that would mean that I would have to reorganize and update more than 6.500 Albums manually by filling that newly generated field and then replace the sort order "year-album" by the new one. Right? Maybe the "copy field" functionality could eventually ease that task.
However I think it's a lot of work to search for all the more difficult samplers and "best of's" to reorganize them correctly again.
In any case that's more or less the only real annoying topic from my point of view. If and when I have too much spare time I'll consider something like that. At least I will think about.....
The only further issue I have also to consider is how that would eventually affect some other applications for my music files and also the analysis functionality of my mentioned other program which I still use for reporting and catalog functionalities. Actually I am not really in favor of custom fields due to compatibility issues. But maybe I am confusing myself a little bit now.
Thanks anyway for the hint.  

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 03:57:53 am »

ThomasB, I'm also very wary of adding fields, but I think you might have missed a trick in what I said.

The new custom field would only overide the date - if populated. So it would only need to be added / maintained for those albums / tracks needing special handling. So for the vast majority of my music, I'd never have to populate it or worry about maintaining it. Even a lot of my compilation albums are single year, so no aditional work.

One note of explanation though, which might help. My version of MC is configured primarily to work under Theatre View, so I'm using Expressions in the Theater View queries to hide a lot of the complexity. I'm not sure how well this approach would work under normal view.

Based on this conversation, and a bit more thinking, I took another look at my stuff. The biggest issue by far was for various artist compilations. So as a short term fix, I excluded the date from how such albums are grouped under Artist / Albums. Remembering that all this is under Theatre View, I already had an expression for Album in the query. Previously this just used [Year - Album] to group, and [Album] to display. I've now changed this to

if(isequal([album artist], various artists, 1), [album], [year - Album])

This just ignores the year for grouping any album by Various Artists. A quick fix, not requiring any any additional fields, which solved the worst of what I was seeing.

Obviously doesn't fix the single artist compilation artist dilemma, but I'll keep thinking about that one.

Hope this helps.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 07:06:19 pm »

Still want this feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up