INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen Tearing?  (Read 3087 times)

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
Screen Tearing?
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:39:13 am »

Has anyone seen this before?

It looks to be just Screen Tearing but I have never seen it permanently situated at the bottom of the screen like that before. I am guessing it's a hardware fault.

cheers

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Screen Tearing?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:27:48 pm »

Assuming you're using an HTPC as the source, have you disabled Aero?

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:15 am »

My apologies, I was on my way out of the door at the time and I just noticed how vague my Post was.

Yes it is playing from a HTPC, MC19 & Red October HQ.
Radeon HD7750 > Audiolab 8000AP Processor > Panasonic TX-P55VT65B

Aero was already disabled but for the purpose of ruling absolutely everything out today I turned it back on and it actually lessened the tearing to the point where it comes and go's and is barely visible when present.
Disabling Aero re-introduces the problem in full effect again however, Aero has always been disabled on this box and this randomly started yesterday.

I am going to pop in a GTX650Ti today that I have available and if that fixes it I will get another HD7750 to try. The current card is a passive model and needs to stay as such, luckily it is still under warranty so (hopefully) can be easily swapped if it turns out to be a hardware issue  :)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:27:04 am »

My apologies, I was on my way out of the door at the time and I just noticed how vague my Post was.

Yes it is playing from a HTPC, MC19 & Red October HQ.
Radeon HD7750 > Audiolab 8000AP Processor > Panasonic TX-P55VT65B

Aero was already disabled but for the purpose of ruling absolutely everything out today I turned it back on and it actually lessened the tearing to the point where it comes and go's and is barely visible when present.
Disabling Aero re-introduces the problem in full effect again however, Aero has always been disabled on this box and this randomly started yesterday.

I am going to pop in a GTX650Ti today that I have available and if that fixes it I will get another HD7750 to try. The current card is a passive model and needs to stay as such, luckily it is still under warranty so (hopefully) can be easily swapped if it turns out to be a hardware issue  :)

Tearing is usually a result of a too high framerate without VSync enabled.  Aero forces VSync and hardware acceleration of system graphics, which is why it improves the situation.  If you don't want to leave Aero enabled, try turning on VSync and Triple Buffering globally in your video card control panel instead (which is my preferred solution).  I had something like this happen when I updated my video drivers and it screwed up my defaults.

If it persists even with VSync on globally, something else may be going on. 

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:42:12 am »

Hi, already checked the buffering and sync settings and they had not been changed (but I did toggle them anyway for the sake of it with no effect).

The most puzzling thing about this and what's got me thinking it's a hardware problem is how it just randomly started to happen with no changes to the configuration at all however, I have been mulling over this all morning and there is always the possibility that it has always done this and this is the 1st time I have watched something in full 1080P resolution (no black bars) and so it's the 1st time I have noticed it.
This is part of my own AV Setup and not a customers and it is very rarely used, once I get home today I will check my played history to see if I can verify this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up