INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video conversion: 5.1 audio lost  (Read 2970 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Video conversion: 5.1 audio lost
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:55:48 am »

Hi jriver-team,

I tried converting a recorded TV-show from .ts to H264-ts to save space on my HDD. It works nicely except the 5.1 audio-track is converted to 2.0.
Is multichannel audio not supported by H264-codec? If not, which codec should I use then?

EDIT:
Rather, the original file has 3 audio tracks, and it seems only track 1 is stored in the converted file:
1: 2.0
2: 2.0 (national language translation)
3: 5.1 AC3

Best regards,
Mikkel

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video conversion: 5.1 audio lost
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:21 am »

I don't think this has to do with h.264 (or x.264) which is only the video codec, but rather with the container (mp4, mkv) audio and video streams are stored in. Not all containers support all audio or video formats.

I don't know enough about MC's video conversion capabilities to tell you what is going wrong in your case, sorry.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »

Can you try to play the original and select the 5.1 track first. Then try the conversion. Does it then work as you'd like.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:30 pm »

Can you try to play the original and select the 5.1 track first. Then try the conversion. Does it then work as you'd like.

No, not really. The 5.1 track is in fact selected automatically (no idea why) but it doesn't make the converter pick it.
I have extremely little knowledge of containers and codecs but to me it seems that either the converter:
a) Selects only track 1 (2.0 audio); or
b) Converts 5.1 to 2.0

Maybe all we lack is a way of selecting the audio track for multi-track recordings?

Best regards,
Mikkel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:16:01 pm »

I believe all the existing video converter profiles convert to stereo.

Someday we may expand this.  The matrix of encoding possibilities for video is somewhat overwhelming, so we have to balance flexibility with something that's understandable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:27 pm »

I kind of have a foggy image in my head of a conversion dialog which would be more flexible on the profiles, or allow only transcoding video and keeping audio as-is. But it'll be quite a while until something like this would see the light of day.
Its certainly an area with great potential for improvements.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Castius

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:29 am »

I've been in and out of video conversion. For he last few years. As a side project. And I will say this. I would love nothing more than for JMC to handle all my audio video needs.

However they will never get to do anything else. It's a never ending cycle of change. Where there is always something old something new and something blue.

If I had a cmd line option for all conversions I would be a happy camper!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 02:56:12 am »

I kind of have a foggy image in my head of a conversion dialog which would be more flexible on the profiles, or allow only transcoding video and keeping audio as-is. But it'll be quite a while until something like this would see the light of day.
Its certainly an area with great potential for improvements.

+1 on this.  The current profiles all downmix to 2.0 which is great for most portable and basic DLNA requirements but we already have the flexibility with Audio files for conversion or DLNA streaming to select 5.1 or 2.0 but just not with Video.

The option I personally like would the ability to create custom profiles that you could then just use for both file conversion and DLNA steaming.  You could even have a simple GUI to "generate" these profiles that could then be saved then exposed in MC as one of the transcoding options.  It would hide the complexity in a one time creation process and then it would be a simple to select like any of the existing ones.  Another benefit was the user community could create, test and share such profiles with other users here on Interact - a bit like other plugins and skins.

Edit:  This idea is pinched from how Handbrake works, you have some std presets but the ability to create your own (I even suggested that you could use the same format for these custom profiles so you could use the ones Handbrake does).
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:11:23 pm »

Would you like VideoReDo to open JRiver JTV files directly?

Would you like to trim and edit your TV recordings made in JTV and TS format?

If so, get over to this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92571.0 and do something about it!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up