INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting "lossless WMA" to "FLAC": as good as ripping to FLAC?  (Read 1655 times)

jphilpit

• Recent member
Converting "lossless WMA" to "FLAC": as good as ripping to FLAC?
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

I can send FLAC but not lossless WMA to my newly set-up DNLA Player from MC19. I already have most of 1000 CDs ripped to lossless WMA. If I can get as good audio quality by simply converting lossless WMA to FLAC (with something like dbPoweramp) then I'll save having to tweak all the tags to make them simple and consistent across labels, as I always have to do after each rip. But if there's any reason not to make that conversion, then I'll bite the bullet and redo the rips.

Steveinsyd

Re: Converting "lossless WMA" to "FLAC": as good as ripping to FLAC?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:25:42 pm »

Good question. I have a similar issue. I have ripped everything in lossless WMA as that was the best option when I started this process, and since then have discovered so many systems have issues using it, so I am always converting to MP3 or some other more portable format. I have done a quick search of the web and found these couple of links that may help, although I have not yet tried it for myself...That will be a project for another day.

Here is a discussion on it from this website - says MC will do it for you...http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79143.0

and Here is a discussion in what hifi magazine that does not use MC - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/how-do-you-convert-wma-lossless-to-flac-please-help

Hope that helps

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:27:30 pm »

Converting between two lossless formats should not have any impact on the audio itself - thats why we call them lossless :)
This of course assumes the tool for conversion can 1) properly decode your source file, and 2) properly write the target file - so that no data is lost in any stage.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:40:56 pm »

Converting between two lossless formats should not have any impact on the audio itself - thats why we call them lossless :)
This of course assumes the tool for conversion can 1) properly decode your source file, and 2) properly write the target file - so that no data is lost in any stage.

Refer this piece of empirical work that used MC16 to convert a WAV file to FLAC and compare the result.:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/flac-vs-wav-vs-mp3-vs-m4a-experiment-94/
... so, what Hendrik said..  8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Steveinsyd

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:40:37 pm »

Agreed - Lossless is lossless....

But the good news here is you can do the conversion in media centre. In Phils original question he was considering "converting lossless WMA to FLAC (with something like dbPoweramp) ".....

But you already have all you  need to do the job in MC  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up