INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Haswell with Video Card  (Read 4185 times)

jcurry6664

• Recent member
Haswell with Video Card
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:09 pm »

I've recently built a HTPC with an i5-4570S Quad-Core (HD4600 integrated graphics).  I use it exclusively to play 1080p .mkv files to a sony 55 inch 1080p display.  The video quality is pretty good, but not great, so I dropped in a HD 7750 into the build.  Unfortunately, the video with the 7750 actually looked worse than the integrated graphics.

I was sure the 7750 would be powerful enough, so I'm confused on why the video quality is worse.

One thing that perplexes me is that when I added the discrete card, I expected the integrated graphics to be disabled, but both are active.  I can move the HDMI cable from the video card to the mother board and back and see that both are active.  I'm guessing this might be related to the poor quality out of the 7750 in some way.

Am I correct in assuming the integrated graphics should be disabled?
Is there a configuration step I need to execute to disable it?
Am I correct in assuming the 7750 should be powerful enough to run RedOctober (high quality)?
Any advice on how I should move forward?

thanks for the help!!!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Haswell with Video Card
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:48 pm »

What do you mean by quality?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »

I don't have a Haswell, but I upgraded my ivybridge to a Nvidia 760 GTX, and it works great.  I done comparisons with the Intel 4000HD and regardless of what I chose in media center.   The Nvidia was best overall quality.  The Nvidia compares to my Sony 7000ES changer in terms of picture quality. 

jcurry6664

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:21:07 pm »

glynor, sorry... I guess the word 'quality' is pretty ambiguous in this context.

To add a bit more detail, before I added the discrete card and was using only the Intel HD4600 graphics, playback was pretty smooth, with just a hint of stutter... just enough to be annoying.  Picture detail or resolution appeared good.  This is with Red October normal settings... when I went to ROHD, the stutter appeared to get worse.

When I added the HD7750 and used that HDMI out, stutter was noticeably worse, but the picture detail appears a bit better.

I'm still wondering if the integrated graphics should be disabled somehow when the discrete card is present.

Any thoughts?

Big517

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:37:52 pm »

I was asking myself the same question about quality, but you are correct, something doesn't seem right.  You should be able to disable onboard graphics, in the BIOS.
Boot into your BIOS and make this adjustment.
Please reply with your results.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:16:01 am »

The HD4600 should do just fine as long as you're not picking jinc 3 or try to deinterlace.

Follow this guide to configure MadVR and tune it until it plays without framedrops.

MadVR can display onscreen statistics, use that to make sure you're not getting framedrops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up