INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Display Theater View with DLNA  (Read 6953 times)

Schooner

• Recent member
How To Display Theater View with DLNA
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »

I recently downloaded the trial version of JRiver and am still evaluating it.  so, I'm a noob.  But I got things set-up pretty quickly and am enjoying it for the most part.  My main use for it is to stream music from my computer to my stereo via a home network.  Is there a way for me to view the music library in theater view on my TV?  Based on the marketing materials, I had visions of sitting on my couch and scrolling through albums displayed on the big screen.  Instead, I just have a basic list of albums or artists, or, as alternative, just use my iPhone. 

Here is my set-up:  I have JRiver running on a PC (Windows 7).  At this point, my library is stored on my PC, though I plan to switch it over to a NAS soon.  My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR616 and my TV is a Panasonic ST50.  The PC, receiver and TV all are connected to my home network via Ethernet, and the TV and receiver are connected to each other via HDMI.  My router, receiver and TV all are DLNA compliant.

To stream music from my PC to stereo, I can push from the computer; however, that is not ideal because my PC is far away from the stereo (on another floor, actually).  So, instead I can use the receiver to pull the music using the DLNA menu.  When I do that, a list of artists or albums is displayed on my TV, but it’s a really basic interface and certainly nothing like Theater View.

I purchased JRemote and can control things on my iPhone.  JRemote is great and much more convenient that the TV interface, but it’s still nothing like Theater View on the big screen.  So, how do I view all my albums like they show in all the marketing materials for JRiver?  Can I do it with my set-up?  Do I need to purchase the special JRiver remote?  If so, to what would I connect it? 

Schooner

• Recent member
Re: How To Display Theater View with DLNA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:11:23 pm »

Sigh!  I scoured the forums a little more thoroughly and found some related posts.  It seems that one cannot get Theater View on the TV using DLNA.  If I understand things correctly, the only way to get Theater View on the big screen is to have a computer connected directly to the TV and/or AVR.  I saw some mention of "cheap computers" dedicated for this purpose.  Honestly, I am starting to wonder about the usefulness of JRiver if I need a computer connected to the AVR or TV to use it fully.  Without a computer wired directly to my gear, I can get gapless playback or crossfade nor can I get the awesome cover flow of Theater View.  So, I'm wondering why I wouldn't just use Sonos.  I though Sonos was pricy, but a Sonos Connect seems cheaper than a computer.  I thought of Apple TV, but it's my understanding that everything Apple reduces the music down to the equivalent of an MP3, and Apple is not fond of FLAC.  I have around 10,000 tracks of FLAC and the file is expanding rapidly as I archive my CDs.  So, the bottom line, JRiver is only full-featured with a direct connection to a computer?  Seems kind of clunky to me.  Sonos is just a little box and sounds hassle free.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:53:14 pm »

Media Center is a PC application, and requires a PC and some monitor (or TV display).

The DLNA presentation is only as good as your device provides - MC has no control over this.  It can push media files, but the device is responsible for the presentation (both when pushed or pulled).

If you want to use your TV as an MC display, you'll need a connection from the PC to the TV (typically HDMI).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:25:07 pm »

Thanks.  I sort of figured that out.  Glad I am in a trial phase.  Sorry to whine, but it's a little frustrating trying to find a good solution.  the inability to play gapless via DLNA is a bummer, too, especially considering my large collection of live performances and concept albums like Dark Side of the Moon. 

So, if I decide to run it from a computer wired directly, can I have the music go directly to the AVR and the display to the TV?  I have plenty of HDMI inputs on the Onkyo and one extra on the TV (two already used for Blu-Ray and AVR).  Or do I have to run the TV as a monitor on the PC?

Then, I guess my options would be to dedicate a cheap computer or to run a cable from my main PC downstairs.  How long of a cable can I run?  The Cat 6 Ethernet cables were affordable via Monoprice, but I imagine a long run of HDMI cable is out of the question.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:01:56 am »

Some of us play gapless via DLNA, but it requires that you have a system that supports it (and these are rare).

MC outputs to an audio device, and video to the video device (typically the monitor), so how you hook these up to your AVR depends on your device(s).

I believe most of the users who connect MC to a TV configure a separate (HT)PC to act as a media station, which servers the video, audio, images, TV recording, etc.  They either stored and manage the files on that station, or use Library Server and manage the files on their primary PC and let the HTPC connect via Library Server and file sharing.  It really depends on your situation and needs.

I don't have any interest in using MC's Theater View to initiate playback of audio files.  I don't want to get up and turn on the TV, sit on the couch while I browse and queue up music, and remember later to turn off the TV.  Once the music is playing, I have no interest in the TV or what's on it.  And I don't want to leave an expensive, energy gulping plasma running for hours for the few minutes I want to control audio.

Many of us use alternate interfaces to browse/queue music.  I use either JRemote or SqueezePad, depending upon the situation.  And sometimes I use MC to initiate playback to my Squeezebox's in other parts of the house (via DLNA, gaplessly).  So it all depends on where I am and where the listener is, and which devices are handy.  There are so many choices its kinda mind boggling.

If you just want audio, then a very cheap PC should suffice.  But there is all the hassle of configuring/maintaining Windows, etc.  There is at least one user who uses an Apple Mac Mini as a PC (and raves about it).  There are quite a few threads about cheap HTPC systems here on the forum.

Long HDMI cables are not very expensive at monoprice, btw.

AppleTV audio quality is better than mp3, btw.

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 12:48:08 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  Looks like I have some options to explore.  I agree it's generally not necessary to use the TV for music selection.  JRemote is my go-to solution.  So, I can live without Theater View, though it has quite a bit of WOW factor.  And it's plastered all over every bit of marketing hype for JRiver.  So, now it's a case of lowered expectations. 

Gapless remains a big issue.  It sounds like I need another PC.  Ugh!  The stakes keep getting higher.  I thought the NAS was my next big thing. 

I'm still a bit how confused how to get Theater View on the big screen, though.  After I get the music situation under control, I was hoping to start building my movie library.  So, I'd already be on couch looking at the TV, anyway.  Not sure how I store media on the NAS and then use Theater View on the TV.  I don't want it connected as simple monitor to PC.  After all, I do watch cable now and then and have a nice Blu-Ray.

I know that Theater View is not critical.  Phones and pad work.  But, c'mon, all the hype on the website is about that 10-ft view and "showroom."  Elegant -- that's what they say.  Hmmm.

I know it's the hardware and not MC.  Sort of.  I will say this -- the sound of MC is incredible.  Did a lot of A/B comparisons with CDs and other sources and find the music from MC perfect.  Also loving it on the PC and the file management and speed.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:52 am »

If you're going to watch your stored movies on your TV, than a sufficiently powered Windows HTPC w/MC is probably the way to go.  (we stream some via DLNA, but we're left with the UI from the rendering device, which typically sucks).

Your files are stored where they are stored.  MC just refers to them via Windows file paths (shared or local).  MC can operate as a server and/or client, so you can run a master MC on your desktop and a client MC on your HTPC.  Your HTPC connects to your TV as a large monitor.  And you'll use your HTPC's audio outputs to supply your AVR w/audio.  Or all via HDMI.

With that setup, you get the best quality your budget can afford.  You'll need a sufficient video card (or onboard with the fastest Intel chips), and anything you get for video will easily handle any audio you supply.

I think this page states MC's Theater View wrt. home theater well enough.  The opener is "A Home Theater PC is a computer that is connected to a television".

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »

Thanks so much for your help.  I think I'm starting to see the light.  Now I have a few questions about HTPCs.  So, I guess I'll move over to the appropriate forum for that topic.  Thanks again.  Sorry to whine.  It's just that I expected JRiver to be do more via DLNA.  Now I see that is a hardware issue rather than software.  Overall, I'm really impressed with JRiver.  I just need to decide if I want to keep going down this road with JRiver or move over to something like the Sonos ecosystem.  I am leaning towards JRiver with HTPC.  Maybe this is not the place to ask, but any reason to lean one way or the other?  Seems like JRiver ultimately is more powerful and flexible.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »

Sonos is an excellent turnkey (eco)system.  If you just want audio playback, using their devices,  you can't go wrong.  It is on my shortlist of replacements if/when our Squeezeboxes no longer care to churn our tunes.  (Consider picking up a used/eBay'd Squeezebox Touch or SB3 - its a great music device, and you'll get your gapless playback using Whitebear as the DLNA media server/renderer).

I'd suggest you try to refine your requirements and goals, and spend a little time seeing which of the various approaches works best for you.  Putting MC on our TV would be fun to have, but it isn't a natural fit for how we use our entertainment gadgets.  Some of the fun is in the serendipity of exploration and discovery.  But there are some areas where things just need to work reliably w/out fuss, and for us the TV room is an area where a turnkey system works best.  I leave tinkering to the other rooms.

My wife loves that her chick-flicks are available, served up with Media Center (on my office), rendered by our DishNetwork box.  She uses the same, familiar remote and interface, and just selects her movie of choice.   This ability is just one of the many you'll discover with software so feature-rich and capable.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up