INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reinstallation following windows 7 reinstall  (Read 965 times)

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
reinstallation following windows 7 reinstall
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »

I had to reinstall windows 7 - but kept a copy of the old user files.
where can I find my preferences to cut & paste into the new windows?
where can I find the registration number?
thanks
roger kaye

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: reinstallation following windows 7 reinstall
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:58:18 am »

simply restore your library and settings from a library backup zip file.

On new machine after the install copy the backup file somewhere then

Go File=>Library=>Restore Library and browse to the backupfile you just copied over

You might have to use Library Tools to "re-point" the database if the media files do not have the identical paths as the old machine

If needed, select all files Right click=> Library Tools=>Rename, Move=>in drop-down box choose Update database to point to new location This will also keep your playing stats intact, so I wouldn't recommend an auto import until you have done this

rhkrhk

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:14:34 pm »

I'm not so much worried about the library- I can always just reimport it.
I spent hours figuring out the various settings - where can i find these to copy into the reinstalled windows?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:58:10 am »

The "library backups" themselves contain a backup of you settings as I said. Other than the media files of course, all you really need is that file to do a reinstall. There are some "userfiles" located in Users\X\Appdata\Roaming\jJriver\Media Center 19 but I do not believe you can simply copy/paste other files which effect the registry

when restoring this file you will see the option to copy your settings that you are asking for (see attached image); if you do not want to copy over your existing library for some reason, you can choose just "settings"

These backup files are very clearly labelled zip files if they were done automatically and you didn't rename a manual backup they would look like this MC Library Backup(Library Name Date).zip Where you put them originally depends on your config (options/file locations) .. I don't remember sure what the default location for auto-backups is as I don't keep these files on my system drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up