INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD bitstreaming with Yamaha RX-A1000 not working  (Read 14335 times)

madbrain

DSD bitstreaming with Yamaha RX-A1000 not working
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:25:53 am »

I am trying to play some native DSD content (SACD ISO) with JRiver MC19.
I  can play everything fine transcoded to PCM at 192 kHz.

But DSD bitstreaming seems to be a no go, no matter what I try.

I am using a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 receiver, which is supposed to natively support DSD according to Yamaha in the manual.
My HTPC is running Win7 x64 and is is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI directly to an nVidia Geforce GT430 video card.

The error I get is :
"Playback could not be started using the format 2.8 MHz 1 bit 6ch"

I have just updated the receiver's firmware, the nVidia drivers as well as JRiver itself. DSD bitstreaming seems to be a no go.
I have tried DoP as well, same issue.

What's the right setting ? Is this a supported hardware combination ?

A friend of mine is also trying the same thing on his Onkyo TX-NR 5007 receiver.
He has tried from a PC with an ATI video card, as well as from a Mac.

He is seeing the same error when trying to bitstream DSD to his receiver.
I find it a suspicious that JRiver fails on 2 receivers that both claim to support DSD natively.

Is that receiver also supported for bistreaming DSD ?
What settings should we use ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD bitstreaming with Yamaha RX-A1000 not working
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:12:05 am »

Sadly you cannot bitstream DSD over HDMI with a PC. Its not a supported audio format by the GPU, which does the bitstreaming.
At least i know of no way to accomplish this today, but I'm open to corrections.

Additionally, i looked up the spec of your Yamaha, and I couldn't find a single mention of DSD. Are you sure it supports it?
In any case, even if it supports it, it may only be possible to use it from a SACD player with HDMI, and not a PC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

madbrain

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »

Sadly you cannot bitstream DSD over HDMI with a PC. Its not a supported audio format by the GPU, which does the bitstreaming.
At least i know of no way to accomplish this today, but I'm open to corrections.

If so, what are the "DSD" and "DSD over PCM" options for under "bitstream" in JRiver media center 19 ?

Are these supposed to work with a different type of connection than HDMI ? Maybe DLNA ?
My Yamaha RX-A1000 also supports DLNA, but I haven't tried that.

Additionally, i looked up the spec of your Yamaha, and I couldn't find a single mention of DSD. Are you sure it supports it?
In any case, even if it supports it, it may only be possible to use it from a SACD player with HDMI, and not a PC.

While it may not be an advertised feature of this receiver, the Yamaha RX-A1000 manual states on page 149 :
"This unit can transmit or receive DSD signals input from the HDMI jack."

Further, on page 151, DSD is listed under HDMI audio signal compatibility.
The supported formats are 2/5.1ch 2.8224 MHz, 1 bit.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 01:14:25 am »

If so, what are the "DSD" and "DSD over PCM" options for under "bitstream" in JRiver media center 19 ?

Primarily its supported for USB connections.

Its not necessarily a software limitation, your graphics card manages the HDMI, and I've never heard of one graphics card which supports DSD over HDMI.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

madbrain

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:48:15 am »

Primarily its supported for USB connections.

I see, that's too bad.

Its not necessarily a software limitation, your graphics card manages the HDMI, and I've never heard of one graphics card which supports DSD over HDMI.

Might it be possible for updated video card drivers to allow DSD to be sent over HDMI with some GPU ?
Or is it an actual physical hardware limitation of the video cards ?

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 01:12:19 pm »

I have an Yamaha RX-A3010 and a Steinberg MR816x soundcard.
When I open and resample the SACDR iso to 96 kHz in Media Center 19, and use the asio driver of Steinberg,
via the analog outs to the analog ins from the Yamaha, the ISO plays perfectly.
If I burn the ISO to dvdr and play it with my Cambridge Audio Multi player via HDMI, it plays perfectly, so the yamaha
takes DSD and my Cambridge does to via HDMI.

I am gonna try it directly if it works via my 460GTX hdmi connection.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

I can play/bitstream dsd via the hdmi connection of my video card to my yamaha RXA3010.
Output format is set in DSP to 192000 Hz PCM with wasapi, as this is the maximum for the nvidia driver.
But like you said not with the output decoding set to any of the DSD settings from MC.
In my manual "This unit can transmit or receive DSD signals input from the HDMI jack'' is also mentioned,
but nvidia doesnt support DSD, so I will continue with burning the ISO files.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 10:43:00 pm »

BUMP ...This Is an issue   I Have been trying to resolve also,having pretty much the same set up. I have managed to get most files to play in their purest form but would really like to hear if anyone has any suggestions on how dsd can be streamed via the hdmi. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

stefvienna

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 06:14:45 pm »

Hi all, same thing here, I have two Yamaha AVRs (Avantage A-1030 and RX-V 5000), both on latest firware and both mention in the user manual that they accept DSD bitstreaming input, but all I get both in JRiver and Foobar2000 is either nothing or hissing noise when I try to fed them with DoP.
So I guess that the Yamahas may accept pure DSD bitstreams (which I cannot verify as I don't own an Oppo, only a Pioneer SACD player) but have no idea how to decode DoP (DSD over PCM), as the display always says PCM. Both media PCs are built around AMD APUs and the AMD Catalyst driver does not allow to output pure DSD bitstreams, only DoP.
i wonder wether anybody ever was able to make it work feed a DoP stream from a PC running JRiver, Foobar2000 or whatever to a Yamaha AVR (or any other AVR for that matter) and post the hardware setup and settings.

Cheers, Stefan

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 05:55:57 am »

OK, it's been 3+ years .

Is the hardware/software situation on the PC/GPU side still the same ?

Ie. is there still no PC GPU capable of outputting DSD over HDMI ?

I would consider upgrading GPU for this. Currently, my primary HTPC is running an old GT630/384 cores fanless PCIe v2.0 x8 .

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 06:17:31 am »

Did you try updating the video driver?

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 04:56:50 am »

Did you try updating the video driver?

Yes, I'm on the current 376.xx nVidia driver.
Is this an officially supported feature for nVidia driver and JRiver now ?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 08:27:59 am »

You can't bitstream DSD over any graphics card. You can only bitstream DSD from a SACD player like the OPPO.

With any of the current Yamaha processors/AVR's and many other brands you can stream DSD over DLNA with JRiver. It is just as easy as bitstreaming over HDMI.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 05:59:33 am »

You can't bitstream DSD over any graphics card. You can only bitstream DSD from a SACD player like the OPPO.

With any of the current Yamaha processors/AVR's and many other brands you can stream DSD over DLNA with JRiver. It is just as easy as bitstreaming over HDMI.

Thanks. Any pointers on how to do this ?
My Yamaha receiver does show up in JRiver media center as :
There: RX-A1000

I just can't figure out how to make JRiver direct the audio playback to it, instead of doing it through the HDMI interface.

When I select that device and click on Options in the menu, I get the message :
"Audio settings for Library server zones must be configured on the server".

I'm not sure what this means . What are zones ? And do I really need to configure them on the MC22 server machine ? This seems strange. The server is in a different room so it is counter intuitive. And of course the server has multiple clients. Configuring the destination from the server seems odd. How would I then control playback? Would I have to login to the server with remote desktop to initiate playback ? Or is there somewhere else I need to configure on the Yamaha AVR for DLNA ? I'm very confused.

I'm playing an SACD ISO stored on a server machine running JRiver MC22 with a shared library.

My HTPC loads the music from my remote library, and is connected to the Yamaha receiver via HDMI.

The Yamaha receiver has all my speakers on it, and is hooked up to the projector which is the display.

I can play the SACD DSD ISO only with a very expensive conversion to 96 kHz PCM - it consumes about 30% CPU on an old 8-core AMD FX-8120 for a 6 channel SACD. I have to set power options to high performance or audio drops out. The case and CPU fans come on max too, which really interferes with the audio in quiet parts. It sure would be very helpful to be able to pass bitstream.

I can play my physical SACDs on my Sony player, but it has analog out only. And of course, I need to get my ass off the couch for that. Even an expensive Oppo player that can stream DSD over HDMI from a physical SACD would have that problem.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 04:02:14 am »

I checked the docs and actually the RX-A1000 does not support DSD over DLNA.

It supports DSD only over HDMI.

So, I'm still looking for a solution.

I realize there may be no graphics card or drivers that currently support transmitting DSD over HDMI yet, but that doesn't mean there will never be. Hopefully when that day comes, JRiver Media center can support it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up