INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 Won't Play High Resolution FLACs  (Read 8822 times)

Jeff_N

• Recent member
MC18 Won't Play High Resolution FLACs
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:55 pm »

Hello,

I'm running MC 18.0.212 on a little Asus netbook with Windows 7. A USB cable goes from the netbook to my Cambridge DACMagic.

Most of my music files are FLACs stored on the netbook. My MC Options settings are:

Output mode: WASAPI

Output mode settings: the DAC is default (I also disabled the onboard audio card to make sure it wasn't interfering)
"Open device for exclusive access" is checked.
"Disable event style" is unchecked.
Bit depth: Automatic
Buffering: 100 milliseconds

In the Advanced Properties section of Windows the only audio device that now appears is the DAC. I've checked both "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority." I've disabled all enhancements.

My 44.1kHz/16bit FLAC files play fine and sound great. But when I try to play 96kHz/24bit FLAC files I get no sound and an error window that reads:

"Playback could not be started using the format: 96kHz 24bit 2ch. This format would work: 48kHz 24bit 2ch."

I've searched here and on the Computer Audiophile site. Others seem to have had similar problems but nothing quite like this. Another thread here suggested changing the bit depth in the Output settings, and I tried a few, but other than causing MC to buffer for a few seconds and then stop trying it had no effect.

Incidentally, if I switch output mode to ASIO I still get nothing. Direct Sound does play the files, but of course I don't want to use that, I'd like bit-perfect output.

I know the DACMagic is capable of handling 96kHz/24bit files. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for looking.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 Won't Play High Resolution FLACs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:21 pm »

Dose your Cambridge DAC show it supports 96khz/24bit in windows?

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:49 pm »

Yes it does, it even has indicator lights to register incoming sample rates of 44.1, etc up to 96.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:06:47 am »

Hi Ken

I had a DacMagic.

I remember having to set the bitdepth manually to 24bits in previous versions (although I thought that by 18.0.212 this issue was adressed), so try it on your setup. I don't remember if you have the choice in version 18 of 24 bit or 24 bit with a 32bit float or not ... try both see what happens.  Your other settings are spot on, they will work so don't change those.

Post back if this doesn't work.

Also in DSP studio, when using the DacMagic I had checked "output format". For all the sample rates I set this to "no change" up to 96kHz; above 96, I forced MC to downsample to 96k. This will allow you to play higher rez through this DAC without getting that screen shot about not starting playback. You will also notice that if you play 48k or 88.2k,  files the blue indicators will (should^^) light up with the correct incoming sample rates.

BTW : do you have an SPDIF output -- optical or coax. Sort of doubt it on a netbook, but if so give it a try. Thought both of these were really better much than the USB connection for this DAC. The DacMagic+ has an asynchronous USB, but not the older DacMagic

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »

Thanks for your help Arindelle.

I tried all the different bitdepth options and here are the results.

Automatic: plays 44.1/16 but not 96/24.
16 bit: plays 44.1/16 but not 96/24.
24 bit: won't play either resolution.
24 bit in 32 bit package: won't play either resolution.
32 bit: won't play either resolution.
32 bit floating point: won't play either resolution.

I'm using the sample rates you suggested in DSP.

You're right, there's no SPDIF port on the netbook.

Unless you have a better idea I guess I'll try downloading a trial version of MC19 to see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll try other software like Foobar. And if THAT doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to start looking for a new DAC. Thanks again.

chrisxyz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:54:56 pm »

I have the dacmagic (the old one, not the "+"). I am sorry, but unfortunatly this dac does not play 24/96 Files using the usb input. 24/96 is only possible using the optical or electrical spdif input. You find the manual on the webpage of Cambridge Audio (somewhere in the  support sction).
Chris xyz

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 02:47:12 am »

I have the dacmagic (the old one, not the "+"). I am sorry, but unfortunatly this dac does not play 24/96 Files using the usb input. 24/96 is only possible using the optical or electrical spdif input. You find the manual on the webpage of Cambridge Audio (somewhere in the  support sction).
Chris xyz

sorry Jeff, Chris is right. I was running an optical connection, forgot about the limitation so version 19 won't make a difference. Its worth getting though

Does anyone know if a usb/spdif converter would work for the OP?? My son has a Turtle Beach dongle which gives him an additional optical connection - do not know if it work for sample rate in this case though

Jeff_N

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:04:31 am »

Shoot, that explains it. Thanks very much guys.

Guess I'll start researching a new DAC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up