INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW to JRiver...help with multiple libraries!  (Read 4424 times)

acjk714

NEW to JRiver...help with multiple libraries!
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:37:02 pm »

Just downloaded JRiver yesterday.  No problem accessing music on my laptop HD.  My iTunes library populated in JRiver on the install, and everything seems straight forward.  However....

I have two external HD's filled with FLAC files.  I'd like to access them separately from the iTunes library (this is mostly MP3 and MP4a, ACC).  I am trying to add them as additional libraries, and getting nothing.  I get to "add library", and and get as far "local library" path.  I can see the external drive(s) here when I browse for them, but when I choose and enter I get “cannot create a library at the specified location” message.

Path is F:\, and I can see the folders when I browse, but can’t seem to get beyond this step.

What am I missing, I feel like a solution is a click away,

Thanks in advance.

acjk714

Re: NEW to JRiver...help with multiple libraries!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:55 pm »

In reply to my own post, I needed to create an empty folder, and then everything worked from there.  Simply import after creating, and viola!

Hope this helps somebody else down the line.

mrboonmee

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:18 pm »

Not sure why this should be so tricky, I use other apps where you can specify a folder of music as a library easily.

I have an F:\Music folder i wanted to add that is full of music. If i create a brand new folder, say F:\Music2 and import all the files from the F:\Music folder, I will have 2 copies of those files?

it's over 50gb of music..

Thanks

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:43 pm »

Not sure why this should be so tricky, I use other apps where you can specify a folder of music as a library easily. I have an F:\Music folder i wanted to add that is full of music. If i create a brand new folder, say F:\Music2 and import all the files from the F:\Music folder, I will have 2 copies of those files? it's over 50gb of music.. Thanks

In MC - the "library" is not the 50gb of media files - it's a very very small set of db files that MC uses to "point" to your files correctly.

For most folks - there is no reason to create more than one library. Install MC and it will create your "default" (empty) library for you (this gooes on the C:\Drive during install). Then you go to Tools->Options-Library and Folders and tell MC what folder locations you would like MC to get media from. The beauty of this is that you could have 3 or 5 or 18 media locations scattered around your home network and can tell MC to grab stuff from all the locations so it appears in MC.

MC will then "import" (really just writing references to the files) into it's library and then display your stuff in the application.

Don't confuse the MC "library" - with your folder full of media files.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:33:24 pm »

You can set rules for import.  Tools/Import/Autoimport.  Add or remove folders to watch, then edit them to tell MC which files to import.

You can set up multiple libraries if you want.  File/Library/Library Manager.  But you can usually keep a single library and edit views to present what you want to see.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:35 pm »

More info:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Also, I concur... It is almost never a good idea to try to manage separate Libraries, at least for your typical home usage model.  There are exceptions, and separate Libraries can be handy in other circumstances, but generally separating different "categories" of files should be done using file metadata.

If you need to have separate Views of your media, pre-filtered to only show one or another type, that's fine.  In fact, that's one of the things MC is best at doing.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:26:00 am »

Also, I concur... It is almost never a good idea to try to manage separate Libraries, at least for your typical home usage model.  There are exceptions, and separate Libraries can be handy in other circumstances, but generally separating different "categories" of files should be done using file metadata.

I think that your statement is too strong.

I'd agree that using views to separate files should be explored first.

However, multiple libraries do have valid uses.  Somes of my uses:

- I rip CDs and tag the resulting files to a library just for ripping CDs and tagging downloads.

- I keep downloaded concert recordings in a separate library. They may be listened to a few times and deleted.  I want my permanent content library to remain as static as possible; acquired music is added after bring ripped and tagged and nothing is deleted.

- I keep photos in a separate library.  Database fields and views are entirely different from those for music files.  Storage locations are different.  The last thing I want to do is to mix the photos and music files in a single library.  Of course, MC doesn't allow me to use multiple libraries at one time from the same instance of MC.  Running multiple instances of the same version of MC messes up the "last Location" starting point and other things. I use different versions of MC as a workaround.
Pages: [1]   Go Up