INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Correction Question From A Newbie  (Read 2183 times)

DanoRoo

• Recent member
Room Correction Question From A Newbie
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:13:08 pm »

I'm not really a newbie to MC, but since I've always been a 2 channel, analog music enthusiast, I never had any reason to delve into many of MC's functions.  Having said that I recently bought 2 subs and a new integrated amp that has bass management and room correction functions, although it's manual settings don't seem to be as feature rich as MC.  If I choose to use the room correction  features in MC, how should I configure my amp?  It has a "direct" setting, which bypasses all tone controls and sends a raw signal straight to the power amps.  It also has a DSP mode which allows for all the tone and crossover settings, but it's default setting is "flat".  Should I set the amplifier to it's DSP setting?  I'm pretty sure that I should use either the amp's bass management system or MC, and not a combination of the two.  How do you guys have your receivers set when your using MC's room correction features?  Thanks in advance for all replies.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Room Correction Question From A Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:16:33 pm »

What amp/room correction?

DanoRoo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:26:03 pm »

What amp/room correction?

Harman Kardon HK 990.  It has a manual bass management system, and it also has an automatic room correction system that works from a supplied microphone.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:52:46 am »

Hi

Baby steps  :) Is the supplied microphone capable of showing measurements in db (spl)

If so check out, if you haven't already, the function "set levels from decibel meter" at the bottom of Room Correction window in DSP studio.

If you want to get serious I'd recommend reading this post first from the Devices forum here => Room Correction (Acourate/Audiolense/Dirac/Other). Plenty of links to guides and things ... not for the faint of heart  ;)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:23:27 am »

I'm not really a newbie to MC, but since I've always been a 2 channel, analog music enthusiast, I never had any reason to delve into many of MC's functions.  Having said that I recently bought 2 subs and a new integrated amp that has bass management and room correction functions, although it's manual settings don't seem to be as feature rich as MC.  If I choose to use the room correction  features in MC, how should I configure my amp?  It has a "direct" setting, which bypasses all tone controls and sends a raw signal straight to the power amps.  It also has a DSP mode which allows for all the tone and crossover settings, but it's default setting is "flat".  Should I set the amplifier to it's DSP setting?  I'm pretty sure that I should use either the amp's bass management system or MC, and not a combination of the two.  How do you guys have your receivers set when your using MC's room correction features?  Thanks in advance for all replies.

If you use JRiver room correction/EQ, I would recommend setting the receiver to "direct."  My understanding is that even if the receiver DSP is set flat, sending it through the DSP module can result in some changes to the sound because of the way receivers are designed.  There have been quite a few folks on the forum who couldn't figure out why they were getting sound anomalies until they found a way to bypass their receiver's processing chain. 

Which is not to say that the receiver's processing is necessarily bad or shouldn't be used, I would just recommend against leaving it on if you're doing all the actual bass management in JRiver.  I'd suggest trying both out and see which one sounds better to you.

DanoRoo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:20 am »

If you use JRiver room correction/EQ, I would recommend setting the receiver to "direct."  My understanding is that even if the receiver DSP is set flat, sending it through the DSP module can result in some changes to the sound because of the way receivers are designed.  There have been quite a few folks on the forum who couldn't figure out why they were getting sound anomalies until they found a way to bypass their receiver's processing chain. 

Which is not to say that the receiver's processing is necessarily bad or shouldn't be used, I would just recommend against leaving it on if you're doing all the actual bass management in JRiver.  I'd suggest trying both out and see which one sounds better to you.

Thanks for the responses guys.  After doing more research, it turns out that the DSP mode, in it's default (uncorrected) state is the right choice,  for this particular unit anyway.  The "direct" mode is an analog circuit only, bypassing all internal tone controls and digital correction circuitry (DACs and associated management and correction circuitry).  In other words, If you choose the "direct" option with a digital input, you will hear silence.  The right choice seems to be the  DSP mode. This mode sends digital information through the internal DACs, but uncorrected in it's default state. It is essentially a blank canvas, allowing the room corrections and bass management to be handled by MC. That being said, if you're using an external DAC, then the direct mode will work because the signal has been converted to analog in front of the amp.  I hope this information is helpful to anyone who owns this particular amp.  It stands to reason that  this would apply to other amps and AVRs as well.  Thanks again for your replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up