INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless HDMI?  (Read 3514 times)

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Wireless HDMI?
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:14:56 am »

Ok, need to setup a wireless HDMI in an old house that can't be wired for in wall cable TV, HDMI, or cat5/6 cables. Just can't be done.

All of the wireless HDMI thingies I've seen seem to have the same 100' clear air or '2 walls' distance limitations.  And they run on the same 5.4 Gz freqs that wifi uses.

Anyone know of a 'better' wireless HDMI setup in the $300 or less range.

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Wireless HDMI?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »

They all suck.

Consider those ranges EXTREMELY optimistic.  And, on most of them I've tested, even with the source/destination boxes sitting on a table DIRECTLY next to one another, they severely degraded picture quality (way overcompressed with crappy compression settings).  I'm constantly forced to test these things and prove how crappy they are to our engineering department here at work, because they hate running cables through the walls, and keep trying to come up with "wireless" methods.

So, every 6 months, some engineer comes along and says "I've solved our wiring issue.  I bought this little $300 dodad I found online, and it works awesome at my house because I don't have any interference and my test case was a single static powerpoint slide."  I really, really hate them.  I've never seen (even for $3K+ prices) one that isn't a POS.

It is a very difficult problem to solve.

The bandwidth available on a HDMI 1.4 cable (with the 8/10bit overhead removed) is 8.16gbps (HDMI 2.0 is 14.4gbps).  It is difficult for you to squeeze even 1gbps reliably through a wireless connection with high-end gear at low latencies.  Pushing 8gbps?  That's a pipe dream.

That means something (and with that amount of difference in bandwidth, it is a LOT of something) has to suffer.  I suspect most of those systems are capable of 300-400mbps max, and probably more like 200mpbs in normal use-cases, with fluctuating latency.  How do you squeeze HDMI down that pipe?  You throw the vast majority of the data away, and to keep latencies low, you do it with the crappiest possible algorithms.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:04 pm »

Don't sugar coat it Glynor, tell us how you really feel!   ;)
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:06:26 pm »

I'm in agreement with Glynor and have done the bandwidth calculations that he's thoughtfully provided.  Wireless HDMI does suck at the current state of the art.

Almost ready to give up on an OTB/retail solution and am looking for a box with enough firmware features that may be hack-friendly so that I can mess with the TX power.

Anyone know what the FCC limits are to TX power in the unlicensed 5.4 GZ band??

Also pursuing HDMI over IP.  We do have powerline IP running in the building at a reliable 500 mbps.  It took some fancy bridging and filter work at the circuit breaker panels to get that high.

We know that this is going to be a bandwidth-limited problem, looking for the 'best of the worst'.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:10:10 pm »

FYI - I used the Wireless HDMI connection for my PJ initially (till I pulled a cable) and it was OK.  The distance was only 10ft, in direct line of site but you could block the signal by just standing in the way. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »

Ok, need to setup a wireless HDMI in an old house that can't be wired for in wall cable TV, HDMI, or cat5/6 cables. Just can't be done.

Why can't your home be wired for a wired connection?   My home is 60 years old and I can do it.   My home has plaster walls with wire mesh.  It was simple to wire it. (I did it with electrician's tape). You can also call professional installer, and they will come up with solution to wire your home.  Sometimes, the cable guys will wire Cable TV on the outside wall through the mortal and into the house.  My stereo installer does homes that over 100 years old, but he hasn't had a problem doing the 6 figure home automation installs yet.  HDMI has distance limitation, but you might have to use longer cable.  http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable.  An Hdmi matrix switch, and typically they are using CAT6A.  

Although, if you have money to burn and want an indoor wireless setup.   You can go with this new solution.  http://www.lightwaveonline.com/articles/2012/10/rit-develops-indoor-free-space-optical-network-technology.html  Free Space Optical network.  It is really for companies, but this is alternative.  You need an HDMI matrix switch with fiber optics..  Might have to cut holes in the wall for other rooms...

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:06 pm »

Have you thought about running the cable around the bottom corner of the room, tacked down with u-tacks? Not the cleanest solution, but if the reason you can't run cable is because it's a rental, at least you can take it up when you leave...
Pages: [1]   Go Up