INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup view to browse directory?  (Read 918 times)

AMP

• Recent member
Setup view to browse directory?
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »

I have taken over a high-end audio store and am in the process of getting our computer audio demo capabilities setup. I'm a big JRiver fan and would like to use it on our demo server, but have hit a snag and am hoping someone can help.

Due to space constraints I would like to setup a couple of headless servers and control them with JRemote. No problem there.

I'm trying to figure out what to do when a customer brings in his own music on a USB stick. With a keyboard and monitor attached there's no issue, but what I'd like to be able to do is create a Gizmo view which would allow browsing of a drive or directory. Plug in the customer's USB stick, use the "filesystem view" to browse to the drive and directory and let him have at it.

Is there a way to do this or can views only operate on metadata that is stored in the database? I don't want to have to add the customer's files to the library in order to play them. I also don't want to use a remote desktop solution as I'm not crazy about giving the customer unattended access to the music server's OS.

Is it possible to setup a view that will simply allow me to browse media files on disk that haven't been added to the library?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Setup view to browse directory?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »

The views system works on metadata, so files would need to be imported.  If you disable some of the auto-import features, and tag writing, an import probably woudn't take that long.  And since they are on a given drive, deletion from the database afterwards is trivial.

Explorer is the other way to explore the filesystem, but I don't believe that's in Gizmo.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Setup view to browse directory?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »

I have an idea...  The basics are:

1. USBDLM assigns an expected drive letter to all USB sticks.

2. Auto-Import imports this drive letter (the whole thing).  As MrC says, disable stuff to make it fast.  If you're clever, we could even rig up a way to make it trigger an auto-import via a saved "bookmark" on your mobile device.

3. Filter this drive letter out of all of your regular Views, so they're not "polluted".  That's easy, just add filters to the top level Audio, Images, and Video at once.

4. Set up a separate top level view that shows just these files.  Maybe with a few child views that sort and display the files in different ways (including one with a location pane).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up