INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I lock up my Christmas music for the rest of the year ?  (Read 2425 times)

Steelydanfan

• Recent member
How do I lock up my Christmas music for the rest of the year ?
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:22 pm »

Hi, new user here. How do I lock up my Christmas music so that I don't have to hear it all year long ? I like to listen to music in shuffle mode, so I need to "quarantine" my extensive Christmas music. I understand locking a playlist, but the source album is still in the  library.

Thanks a bunch.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
Re: How do I lock up my Christmas music for the rest of the year ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:53:46 pm »

I'm the same.
I have moved my whole Christmas Collection back to a folder which I have marked as Exclude.
Library and Folders>Config auto import.
Saves giving Christmas stuff a special marker and then telling every list you make you don't want Christmas special marker stuff.
Hope that helps,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:58:59 pm »

Assuming you have a specific Genre for Christmas music you could exclude that genre from the Audio portion of the library. Right-click on "Audio" in the tree and select "Customize View".  Click "Set rules for file display..." and click "Add new rule".  In the new second rule's empty dropdowns select "Genre", "is not any", and then your Christmas genre.  This should hide Christmas music from all the Audio views but songs will still be shown in any playlists that might contain Christmas music.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:09:03 pm »

I've been thinking about this same thing, and wondering if the new User feature might be a nice approach?

Assigning a user of Christmas to your music and movies would let you hide them most of the year, then see them at Christmas time.

If you do this, also remove the filter from Play Doctor so that it works nicely when in Christmas user mode (because by default it filters out holiday music).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Steelydanfan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:50:37 am »

Everyone, I want to thank all of you for your good posts, everyone of them makes sense, I did assign a specific Christmas genre to each ripped Christmas CD , so  the genre exclusion idea works, as well as the  folder exclusion idea.

Matt the Administrator, I am going to use your "New User" idea, and his name will be  Santa Claus ! If that doesn't work, the folder and genre exclusion ideas will be placedd into action.

Everyone, I will report back after New Years, when I will (hopefully) retire my Christmas/Holiday playlist until next year.

Thanks again, and a very Happy New Year to all !

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 01:09:09 am »

I do this be creating a separate library for holiday music.  I also have the music files located in a separate folder tree on my hard drive, which makes backups simpler.

The only downside to this approach is it doesn't allow for mixing holiday and regular music.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:11 pm »

I throw all the Chrismas music is a separate folder, and only import it around the holidays.  When done, I delete by genre just from the library, and remove the directory from auto import.

Works for me.

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

Steelydanfan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:13:25 pm »

Everyone, I tried Matt's idea of creating a  new user ( Santa Claus  ;D) for my extensive Christmas music library, and it worked like a charm. I am Brooks Davis the rest of the year, and Santa Claus is the DJ for December .

Thanks, Matt ! Easy fix.

Steelydanfan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 04:17:43 pm »

I just read of Matt's illness, sorry I did not read that before I posted today. My prayers are with you and your family, Matt. Sorry for my post , I did not know .

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »

I just read of Matt's illness, sorry I did not read that before I posted today. My prayers are with you and your family, Matt. Sorry for my post , I did not know .

Don't apologise. I think your concern is ultimately what's most important.

My Christmas music isn't that extensive. Similar to a previous poster, I just filter it out by Genre and set up a Smartlist to play that Genre during the festive season.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up