INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just ordered a new TV... Should I upgrade my video card?  (Read 2100 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Just ordered a new TV... Should I upgrade my video card?
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:28:53 am »

I just ordered a Panasonic VT60 TV and now I'm contemplating upgrading my HTPC's video. I currently am using the on-board HD3000 of an i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz. I use ROHQ now.

Am I right in thinking that 1080P content won't benefit but that anything that needs upscaling could benefit from the more intense madvr settings?

If a discrete video card will help out are there any recommendations? The HTPC is only used for audio/video. No games. I would prefer fanless and inexpensive. HDMI audio\video is required.

Thanks for any guidance.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Just ordered a new TV... Should I upgrade my video card?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:01 pm »

If you are using ROHQ now, then you are using madVR already.

But if you want to upgrade your graphics card, then what I just installed a few days ago, would work for you - the Asus EAH6450 - fanless, HDMI, PCI-Express, low-profile bracket option included.  2011 Radeon. $42 at most stores.

rec head

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:49:40 am »

Thanks for the response. I understand that I am using madVR with ROHQ. I am just using the basic options. I would like to try some of the more intensive options mostly for upscaling DVD content. Does that card allow for that?

I really don't want to go through the possible nightmares of getting a new video card to work just to find it might not add anything to the system.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:55 am »

1080p content still requires chroma upscaling to be performed. (chroma is stored at 1/4 of luma resolution)
DVD upscaling will surely benefit from a dedicated graphics card, as you will be able to use the Jinc 3 + Anti-Ringing filter.
There are features coming in the upcoming version such as debanding which will also require some more GPU power.

You should be able to pause a video and experiment with the options to see whether you think it is worthwhile though, even if the HD3000 won't be able to actually play a video using the higher settings at an acceptable framerate. Luma/Image upscaling on DVDs should be the most noticeable.

rec head

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:10:02 pm »

Thanks, I never thought of just testing different options while paused. When I first started using MC I tried different settings but since playback was choppy I didn't bother to compare the image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up