INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is a GeForce GT 640 Graphic Card for Red October HQ?  (Read 10258 times)

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
How is a GeForce GT 640 Graphic Card for Red October HQ?
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:57:30 pm »

I Just got a 70" LCD and I'm wanting to kick the video quality up a notch from the onboard video with an Intel 2600k Sandy Bridge that limits me to Red October Standard.

I'm leaning towards trying an Nvidia GT 640 because it is the best I can find with passive cooling. I've seen mention of Nvidia having an advantage with RO-HQ. I have a Radian 7750 Passive also but this system is only for Media Center (No gaming) so I want the best, quiet and energy efficient card I can find that will run RO-HQ nearer the higher end to the settings.

If more power is needed anybody have any ideas of a quite Nvidia solution at the sweet spot for Red October HQ?

It's been a while since this has been addressed and the graphics card market advances quickly. Plus, with Hendrick now on board I thought it was a good time to revisit the never-ending question.

Appreciate any help or suggestions... and looking forward to playing with RO-HQ!

Rick

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: How is a GeForce GT 640 Graphic Card for Red October HQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:45:06 pm »

There is little point going to a GT640 from your IGP.  Here is thread that may be of assistance. - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75639.0
JRiver CEO Elect

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:37:50 pm »

I Just got a 70" LCD and I'm wanting to kick the video quality up a notch from the onboard video with an Intel 2600k Sandy Bridge that limits me to Red October Standard.

I'm leaning towards trying an Nvidia GT 640 because it is the best I can find with passive cooling. I've seen mention of Nvidia having an advantage with RO-HQ. I have a Radian 7750 Passive also but this system is only for Media Center (No gaming) so I want the best, quiet and energy efficient card I can find that will run RO-HQ nearer the higher end to the settings.

If more power is needed anybody have any ideas of a quite Nvidia solution at the sweet spot for Red October HQ?

It's been a while since this has been addressed and the graphics card market advances quickly. Plus, with Hendrick now on board I thought it was a good time to revisit the never-ending question.

Appreciate any help or suggestions... and looking forward to playing with RO-HQ!

Rick

If you get the GDDR5 version it should be a perfect card for ROHQ. madVR loves fast memory.

There is little point going to a GT640 from your IGP.  Here is thread that may be of assistance. - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75639.0

I disagree. The HD3000 has no shot at ROHQ for high bitrate encodings. The GT640 GDDR5 should handle any video at 1080p using ROHQ.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:56:00 pm »

I found that the lower end cards really struggle on high frame rate interlaced material (eg TV or Music Video BD's) when using madVR's "better" settings (eg Jinc3+AR) even with DDR5 memory, and the GPU would max out and drop frames.  That said, I did not realise that the GT640 now has a DDR5, GK208 core version (but ? on passive versions).  You never know.
JRiver CEO Elect

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:13 pm »

I just added the Asus passive-cooled Radeon 6450, and I can now run ROHQ with DXVA2 image upscaling and downscaling, and SoftCubic chroma scaling, and nothing checked in the "trade quality for performance" list (except for subtitles, since I don't care much about subtitle quality).  (The color using SoftCubic looks very good, and since that is what is being scaled, it seems fine to my eye.)

I use the madVR SmoothMotion feature since I watch a fair amount of 25fps content and my monitor does not have a 25 or 50fps refresh rate.

By the way, your 7750 and the Geforce 640 should be roughly equivalent.

PS  If anyone had any comments on de-interlacing in Catalyst vs MC19/LAV vs madVR, I'd be interested in hearing it.

gomjabar

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:36:25 am »

I got the gt 640 passive by zotac for windows media center and decided to try jriver for the madvr.  I really cant go much beyond bicubic 75(ar) for image upscaling but it seems to do really well with dxva2 and jink 3 tap for chroma.  At least it looks good enough for me to justify switching to jriver. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up