INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3D BD ripping for the first time- any help?  (Read 6739 times)

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
3D BD ripping for the first time- any help?
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:17:41 am »

Greetings all.

I have some Bd movies that I thought I should try to rip from within MC 19.103 for the first time.
The HTPC is an Asus ET2702I- allin one PC with Windows 8.1, 64 bit.
I have 2TB HD, 8 gig of memory.  The PC has  an Intel i7-4770 , Cpu  @3.40GHZ.
I tried to rip Avatar 3D for testing. I got "rip error".  The file size would have been about 91 gig . I know I have enough disk space.
Any suggestion as to the best ripping method or type and what software I should be using. Also any advice on the file structure. I will only be ripping 3D movies at this point to my hard drives, maybe later I will rip 2D movies. [I still have Sony mega changer for storing  2D discs.]

Thanks in advance.
George

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: 3D BD ripping for the first time- any help?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:53:33 am »

Take a look at the Wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
Have a look at Blu-Ray entry. Encryption might be the issue.

You could always use MakeMKV, if encryption is the issue. Not sure how it goes for 3D. Leave that with you to dig around for alternatives.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:19 am »

Hi George,
The best approach for 3D-BD is to rip to an ISO, then mount with a prog like VCD.  If you rip as a structure it will be about twice the size (as  you have seen).  Also, at present you can not playback 3D-BD's in MC in 3D (but will play as 2D).
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »

Hi George,
The best approach for 3D-BD is to rip to an ISO, then mount with a prog like VCD.  If you rip as a structure it will be about twice the size (as  you have seen).  Also, at present you can not playback 3D-BD's in MC in 3D (but will play as 2D).
Thanks
Nathan

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of ripping using ISO method.  Was it not you who wrote a script for  use in MC's external program to use powerdvd or totalmedia, ?   for BD and maybe 3D movies within MC?
I still have the scripts saved somewhere.
This time all I need is how to get the  3D rips and why MC is falling to rip? Can you recommend utility that will rip as ISO and the mounting process. I need names of utilities that are reliable.

It looks like I will keep 2D on mega changer and 3d will be ripped.

Thanks again. 
George.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:43:19 pm »

Yup - for what it is worth, the script is mine  :-\

You don't mention what decrypter you use but AnyDVD HD for example can rip to ISO, right click on it's Icon and "Rip to Image".  You can not use MC to rip to ISO.
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »

Yup - for what it is worth, the script is mine  :-\

You don't mention what decrypter you use but AnyDVD HD for example can rip to ISO, right click on it's Icon and "Rip to Image".  You can not use MC to rip to ISO.

Thanks for your scripts and all your contributions.
I do not have anydvd hd. I have instead Arcsoft tmt6 and also pvd12 or so.

I hate to spend $ again just to get a rip utility.

Thanks again.
George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »

Hi - without one of the packages like AnyDVD HD there is no point in copying them to your HDD as they will not play in any prog (incl tmt / pvd).  Commercial BD's have have various levels of copy protection to try to prevent you from doing this that AnyDVD HD defeats.
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 02:40:54 pm »

It looks like Anydvd HD is the way to go.

I will have to get this then.

Take care,
George.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 05:47:09 pm »

Once you have AnyDVD HD loaded, you can then use MC to rip, manage, and play your (non 3D) BD's to HDD in folder structures.  I'd suggest you may be better off ripping your 2D BD's and leave your 3D BD's in your changer.
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »

If you rip to SBS files, and your HDTV supports that mode, they work fine in MC.  I have a few of those for novelty reasons.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ekpen

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »

Once you have AnyDVD HD loaded, you can then use MC to rip, manage, and play your (non 3D) BD's to HDD in folder structures.  I'd suggest you may be better off ripping your 2D BD's and leave your 3D BD's in your changer.

No, direct opposite of what can be done with the changer. The Sony changer does not work with 3D BD. It only works with 2D. This is the reason I want to rip several 3D BDs to my hard drives.
I will make plans to pay for the Anydvd HD soon.
My new HTPC that I was building had to be put off because of mobo problems from Asus and Gigabyte. Twice they were fixed , but never worked. Then I got a surprise e-mail from Gigabyte support that my X58A -UD5 was not fixable. My only choice will be to accept an XL Gigabyte G1 Assassins. In my home theater, I have no place for a tower case, only a desktop case. Just this past week, I was able to get confirmation from Antec case manufacturer in the U.S.A that I can use the P280 sideways with no issues. They are looking into making the only XL case for desktop use. If this will take too long, I will have to get the P280 case and put my G1 Assassin mobo in it. I got Intel 990 CPU, 24 gig of memory,  water cooling gear, and dual Nvidia gtx 8900 x2 GPUs. I do have 11 3TB hard drives to use for this setup. It worked for a couple of days with Windows 8 and 8.1 on both the Asus P6 X58 mobo and the UD-5. Both mobo lasted days or weeks and they died.
I want to rip these BDs , then later transfer them to this new build which will be Linux Fedora 19, 64 bit. I know there is no video yet on this Linux platform, I am just trying to get things ready should JRiver integrates the Video to this platform.
Thanks for your help.
George.

Ekpen

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 06:31:42 pm »

If you rip to SBS files, and your HDTV supports that mode, they work fine in MC.  I have a few of those for novelty reasons.

Greetings:
I was expecting your response <grin>.
 Thanks for all the help.
My Mitsubishi tv 92840 supports all modes. Hopefully my future 3D tvs will support SBS, I am thinking of the Chinese makes- Haier, Hisense, Tcl . It looks like I am going to give them my $ based on their efforts to bring 4K/3D prices down.

With the Glass free 3D coming, I will like to get these BDs integrated in to MC.

In a non related issues:

I am guessing you have a very well detailed "Views", one can imagine. Maybe it is time to open a thread where members can share their "Views"  settings etc.
I could imagine how your various views will look like <grin>.

I am not ready to tackle "views" issues now, just the ripping of  3D BDs.

Glynor- thanks again.

George

Stream_HD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:19 am »

Any DVD HD is worth it's money for sure.  I also love the fact that it allows me to just pop in the BD and play it straight from the tray in MC.

I use it to rip images of all my 3D movies and it works flawlessly.  Then I watch them in TMT6 if I want 3D, and MC if I want 2D.

Now if we could just get ASIO support in TMT6 life would be amazing :).
Windows 10 Enterprise on Samsung SSD
16GB RAM
AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.30GHZ)
GeForce NVIDA 1650 SUPER 4GB Video Card
Seagate EXOS 16TB Enterprise Drive for Movies
Pioneer Internal Blu Ray Burner/Drive
Exasound e28 DAC / ASIO Soundcard

Ekpen

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:03 pm »

Any DVD HD is worth it's money for sure.  I also love the fact that it allows me to just pop in the BD and play it straight from the tray in MC.

I use it to rip images of all my 3D movies and it works flawlessly.  Then I watch them in TMT6 if I want 3D, and MC if I want 2D.

Greetings:
I am planning to purchase AnyDVD HD soon.  I already have tmt6.

Thanks for your input.
George.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »

For what it's worth, Slysoft (the creators of AnyDVD HD) have regular sales. I see it's currently 20% off until Jan 19th right now, but if you miss that, it will almost certainly be on sale again within a month.

Ekpen

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:10:40 am »

For what it's worth, Slysoft (the creators of AnyDVD HD) have regular sales. I see it's currently 20% off until Jan 19th right now, but if you miss that, it will almost certainly be on sale again within a month.

I will be getting the Anydvd hd within the next few days. I think it is a good tool to have anyway.
Thanks.
George.

Ekpen

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:38:41 pm »

Greetings:

I have purchased the AnydvdHD today, installed. I am on MC 19.04. When I tried to rip, example Avatar BD, it thinks it is audio. I get error
 "Rip failed" :tracks not found".

I also received a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" message. .. Program C:\prog.
Application has requested runtime to terminate it in an usual way... Contact program support team."

I got these errors on both the 3D and dvd versions. I rebooted the PC a couple of times.
What settings do you recommend for BD and Dvd within AnydvdHD setups?
I am uisng an Asus ET 2707I  with intel i7-4770 cpu., Windows 8.1, 64 bit.
I was able to play Avatar for 15 minutes on this Allinone PC.

I am yet to actually hook it up to a Mitsubishi 92840 dlp.

I have BDs that are 3d, and have sussessfully watched or played 3D movies for almost 4 years now on this Mitsubish model and prior models.

Help will be ppreciated.
Thanks.
George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »

I'd suggest with the 3D BD's you should use AnyDVD HD to rip them to ISO not MC to rip them to a structure.  Right Click on the little Fox Icon in the tray --> Rip to Image.  More info in the Wiki on ISO Files.  

With 2D BD's you can just use MC to rip it to a structure.
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:38 am »

I'd suggest with the 3D BD's you should use AnyDVD HD to rip them to ISO not MC to rip them to a structure.  Right Click on the little Fox Icon in the tray --> Rip to Image.  More info in the Wiki on ISO Files.  

With 2D BD's you can just use MC to rip it to a structure.

Hi;
The ripping of the 3D BD have been going on smoothly. But I do have a question I need to get  answered before I go too far.
When ripping, a question is  asked " Keep protection Bluray/HD DVD."  I have been ripping with this field  "ticked".
Then I noticed Virtualclonedrive type is present in the iso files. Is this ok?

Now I am ripping one with the Keep protection field not checked.
Which is the prefered method?
I have also installed  the virtualclonedrive.
I am ripping these just for me to be ready when we will have Video in MC for linux. Do you know if the Virtualclone interface will work with MC for linux should MC for linux be available for Video?

Thanks.
George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:18:42 am »

Most people would leave protection ON as with AnyDVD HD installed it would be removed again when playback occurred on a Windows PC.  If you plan to use Linux then Removing Projection may make sense as (while I'm not a Linux head), I'm guessing you have some issues to solve if you want BD 3D playback
1) You need to find a 3D BD playback prog (I'm not sure one even exists) as MC does not do this now on Windows and has no Video playback at all on Linux
2) You need to find a an equivalent of VCD for Unix (I'm sure there is one but I don't know what it is).
3) If you leave protection ON then you need a Linux decrypter (I'm not sure one exists)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 12:20:31 am »

Do you want me to move this from the Windows to the Linux forum (you may get more targeted help there)?
JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:03 am »

Most people would leave protection ON as with AnyDVD HD installed it would be removed again when playback occurred on a Windows PC.  If you plan to use Linux then Removing Projection may make sense as (while I'm not a Linux head), I'm guessing you have some issues to solve if you want BD 3D playback
1) You need to find a 3D BD playback prog (I'm not sure one even exists) as MC does not do this now on Windows and has no Video playback at all on Linux
2) You need to find a an equivalent of VCD for Unix (I'm sure there is one but I don't know what it is).
3) If you leave protection ON then you need a Linux decrypter (I'm not sure one exists)

Thanks
Nathan

Thanks for suggesting if it could be moved to Linux thread. Yes it could.
For windows, it is ok to leave it on. But for Linux it may not work.  
I think I will not tick it "on" for now, until I read more from the Linux heads.
I hope MC for Linux will one day have BD playing  capability. I know there is a Vitualclonedrive equivalent for Linux.
FYI I will be using Fedora 19 or 20, 64 bit.

Thanks again.
George
I ordered a new XL case today from amazon for the Linux build..

George.

Ekpen

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »

Hi George,
Thanks
Nathan
Greetings:
I have successfully ripped the BDs and for the first time, Iam getting used to ISO files. I am currently using Win8 pro 64 bit. I will gradually  switch to Linux platform very soon, (hoping I will not have any hardware issues with this new HTPC build.)
 I watched a few movies without any glitch on this temporary PC.
Thanks for your help.
George .
Pages: [1]   Go Up