INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permitted Characters in Filenames  (Read 816 times)

Tommay

• Recent member
Permitted Characters in Filenames
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:35:59 am »

Some of my master filenames ripped with DBPoweramp (on a Mac) include a semicolon ";" in the artists field, i.e. "Hesperion XX; Jordi Savall". 

On importing into MC this format is preserved for FLAC files, but for my AIF and WAV files the semicolon is replaced with a "/".  This results in two different instances of the album with different artist tags.  I have also noticed inconsistencies with other characters between FLAC & WAV/AIF, although all master files have exactly the same filename format.

Is this a MC issue or am i a Mac user straying into Windows filename problems?

Thanks

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Permitted Characters in Filenames
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:51:45 am »

" > < ? : \ / * | are all "illegal" to have in filenames in windows -- the main separator in MC and lots of other programs is the semicolon.

dbPoweramp defaults to changing these characters to allowed ones. As a lot of albums especially classical use the colon in the album title; if the mask is set up to use Album name which it probably is its going to change it automatically to a semicolon.

What I do is simply change in the dbpoweramp options so that ":" will yield "-" . If you want the colon in your metadata which is supported in Flac tags, you can change it back manually. The separator on Mac/itunes is different which is why I believe you are getting the other "/". I'd just bear that in mind and reconfig dbpoweramp for both to a character you can live with so no manually retagging or renaming would be required. Its sort of hidden away post back if you can't find where it is.

Also aiff/wav files don't support as many tags as Flac as you probably know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up