INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving music to another drive  (Read 795 times)

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
Moving music to another drive
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:43 am »

I presently have music on a drive inside the tower that is all on the MC library. I also now have a 4TB external drive with other music on it (not yet in the MC library). I have copied and pasted the music inside the tower drive ( F:) onto the external drive ( E:) using the windows tool, as I want all the music on this one 4TB external Drive. I have done it this way (using windows), due to previous advice here (see attachment). I followed  step 2 in the reply below, i.e: 1. Remove from Auto-Import paths that point to the old location. 2. Disable Fix Broken Links in Auto-Import (step 1. didn't apply to my set-up as I didn't have anything selected)
 I haven't deleted the music off the internal drive yet.

I have then highlighted all the music in the MC library> library tools> Rename, Move & Copy files> Update database to point to new location, no file rename move or copy. I selected this last option as I have already copied the music over to the new drive and don't need MC to do it. I just need it to recognise the new location?
Below is a screenshot of of what I have done. I haven't altered anything in the "Filename" and "Directories" boxes - just left them the same and checked. When I copied the music over to the external drive I put it inside a folder called B&A CD collection, so have put that in the "Replace With" box. Is this all I need to do?  TIA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving music to another drive
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:10:08 am »

Disable the Directories and Filename options. These will potentially rename your files to something other than their current names.
The Find & Replace tool should be sufficient, and what you have there looks good.

Be sure to back up your library (File → Library → Back Up Library…) before doing this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up