Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: test  (Read 7023 times)

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:test
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2002, 07:36:56 am »

so, you are listening to Tresspass. what is your opinion? Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and A trick of the Tail are better albums, but you can get the general idea with tresspass. I think that the comparison with ABBA is a good one for the later Genesis/Phil Collins material. Funny, A trick of the tail (1976) is the last Genesis album that I like, and the first that my wife can tolerate. She likes Mike & The Mechanics. She calls prog-rock--rock music that you can't tap your foot to.

Thin White Rope - Dead Grammas on a Train (1985)

zevele1

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2002, 08:04:45 am »

Treepass is the only one Genesis i have and i know.It is nice.As "a nice boy"
Thin white rope is of the band i like the much
Here we are in the 'desert rock'
from Tucson: Giant Sand,great-Naked Prey ,so-so,Al Perry,not good-Low Max ,so,so
from Dvies,Californie: Thin white rope,great-popealopes,very good
Also sidewinders/sand rubies ,great
Have a try to volebeats,hangtown,12lbs[or 16 lbs] on Emusic

listening to miracle legion--me & mr. ray

Michael Horton

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2002, 08:22:15 am »

miracle legion! again a connection. I'm drenched!

zevele1

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2002, 08:34:39 am »

Look like there is many,many ,many connections:green on red,true west,rain parade,dream syndicate,long ryders,the coal porters.Paisley underground was VERY BIG in Europe
will play feelies-the good earth  -

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2002, 01:22:27 pm »

Ils sont fous ces romains !!??

Nice test zev !

Currently listening : The Swan Silverstones - I'll Search Heaven.mpc
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Scronch

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2002, 04:32:16 pm »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
MH: OK, just for you, I'll give my opinions...

Foreigner - sucked from day 1.  That guy cannot sing.  Bubble gum rock.

Kansas - Even worse.

KISS - Getting a little better.  Still too commercialized for me.  But some of their stuff rocks.

BOC - I went through that phase.  Saw them 2 or 3 times.  Their stuff hasn't aged well.  Note: Caught them in Madison with Foghat opening.  It was their last stop on a "50 states in 50 days" tour.  To celebrate, they hung out after the show.  All 9 (?) guys set up on stage, and about 45 mins after the encore they all started jammin.  Went on for about an hour and a half.  These guys were pretty good musicians, stuck playing the mainstream crap that made money.  During the jam session, they migrated more toward jazz rock.  I suppose about 20% of the crowd hung around.  The whole thing was pretty intimate and very cool.

Styx - Saw 'em once, 3rd row, center aisle, at the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee.  They were less then 2 weeks away from releasing Grand Illusion.  So the first time I heard Come Sail Away was live.  Pretty impressive, even if most of their stuff is pre-packaged.  After that, it was all downhill.

Supertramp - That one's personal.  I saw them about 6 times before they went totally pop.  For some reason, they had a tie to Milwaukee, so they always stopped here, even before Crime of the Century made them.  Unfortunately, when I listen to their stuff now, it all sounds pop and childish.  They are prime example of a band's music not aging well.  I do recommend you give one song a listen, though: Try Again, from "Supertramp", 1970.  I keep it in my playlist.

I will add Van Halen.  I saw them open for Black Sabbath.  Van Halen was hot.  They had just released their first album.  Then David Lee Roth porked out and the music went down the tubes.  Or maybe I just grew up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zev - I'm a bit of an early Genesis freak, so I'll give you my 2 cents worth:

From Genesis to Revelation - Interesting mostly for early Genesis freaks.

Trespass - Very good.  The band is nearing their trademark Gabriel sound, especially on Visions of Angels.

Nursery Cryme - Excellent.  The Musical Box became a cult hit.  It never ceases to amaze me how many bands I hear cover it.  Hogweed shows clearly the band's sense of humor, which some fans wish had been kept in the closet, but the humor was needed to offset the epic storytelling of most early Genesis pieces.

Foxtrot - A masterpiece.  Period.

Genesis Live ('73) - A must-have.  The band continues to improve, and the versions are sometimes better than the studio originals.

Selling England by the Pound - Masterpiece #2.  Cinema Show/Aisle of Plenty will give you goosebumps.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Often called the best album of early Genesis, this takes some getting used to.  It is a clear foreshadowing of the departure of Gabriel.  The group fought constantly about lyrics written over what was supposed to be 12-string intrumental sections, and Hackett and Gabriel went head to head.  But the result is simply amazing.  If The Carpet Crawlers doesn't affect you, you have no pulse.

A Trick of the Tail - Very strong.  The absence of Gabriel is glaring, but the songs are as powerful as ever.  MH, the explanation for this is probably found in a common rumor--that Gabriel had penned much of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, and would not allow his name on them.  Los Endos is the most powerful thing here.

Wind & Wuthering - Quieter and gentler than Trick of the Tail, this is still a very good album.  It is the last of the progressive rock Genesis efforts.  One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops, and Afterglow are excellent.

Seconds Out - A fairly weak live offering.  I seldom listen to it.

...and then there were three... - Hackett leaves.  This is the beginning of the end.  There is some good stuff here, like Undertow and Say It's Alright Joe, but there's a lot of crap, too.

Duke - This is just a strange album.  In many ways, it is much better than ...three..., but it is a clear move toward pop and the goal of making money.  Collins is wallowing in his divorce (Please Don't Ask).  Banks comes through with Heathaze, which isn't bad.  Duke's Tavels/End is an insulting effort at recapturing the old sound, a blatent attempt to keep the old fans' wallets open.

Abacab - ughhh.  How much money can we make?  Dodo/Lurker is interesting, but not in an early-Genesis way.

Three Sides Live - For the most part, don't bother.  Open Door is the only decent studio cut, and it is weak.

Genesis ('83) - Genesis is no more.  It is now a Phill Collins front band.  That is not totally a bad thing, but they shouldn't be called Genesis anymore.  Home by the Sea and Second Home by the Sea follow in the Dodo/Lurker vain.

The remaining albums just suck.

All in all, a heartbreaking metamorphosis of an incredibly powerful influence into a "me, too" pop money machine.

But, as I said previously, the early work stands on its own.  Zev, if you have any appreciation whatsoever for Trespass, you owe it to yourself to get Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and even Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering.  I envy you.  You are in for an incredible journey, down a path I know so well, but which saddens me because there is no classic Genesis left for me to discover.

A short aside: Century Hall in Milwaukee was one of my favorite music spots prior to its burning to the ground.  For example, I had the honor of seeing Muddy Waters a few feet from my table, just months before his death.  One talent I saw often was Milwaukee-native Daryl Stuermer, playing jazz with his brother Dwight.  Daryl went on to play with Jean-Luc Ponty, and of course played on stage with Genesis after Hackett took a walk.  And Daryl plays studio and live with Phil Collins, and has co-wrote some stuff with Collins.

OK, I've bored you all enough.  Back to work.

Scronch

Michael Horton

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2002, 05:15:09 pm »

Scronch

no bore

you took a lot of time and energy to that. I agree with your assessments, with only minor variations (e.g.,  I think that The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is completely unlistenable, and I didn't know Genesis released anything after Seconds Out, but that's about the time I shaved my head, started wearing doc martins, and not going to punk concerts (my [ex]wife wouldn't let me--had to set an example for the kids). So I pretty much got dragged to all those "classic" rock concerts with my wife and her friends. BoC was my choice, especially when Be Bop Deluxe opened for them. But I agree, to me, that stuff just didn't age well, and don't enjoy it all anymore (except Genesis, and only once every few years or so).

Belle & Sebastian - A Century of Fakers

Then again, ten years from now I'll likely be wondering what was going through my head when I hear what I'm listening to now. I'll listen to that Supertramp song. Are you familiar with Marillion? I'm not, but I'm told that their early stuff is similar to Gabriel-era Genesis.

CMagic

No idea what you said. Zevele1, can you help out?

Zevele1

rain parade is in my top10. dream syndicate is very good as well. green on red and long ryders are quite good, but not favorites. the others I don't know at all. But its the right genre all right. I don't like it when the paisleys drift too far in to country though. Not that I don't like country . . .well, ok, for the most part I don't like country, or even worse--country-rock (I love the jangly early Byrds, but hate 'em for what that Sweethearts of the rodeo phase started). But for some, inexplicable reason, I like no depression

Herman's Hermits - I'm In To Something Good

let's keep it up--I think we have to get to 109 posts to set a record

Michael Perilstein - Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before

My college sweetheart was a music major. quite talented. beautiful. played on the women's softball and vollyball teams, and she . . . well you get the picture. She listened only to classical and church music (whatever you call it) with one exception: Genesis--Foxtrot. When we broke up she kept the album. But she gave a plate of cookies. I still have them. Just as hard now as they were then. anyway, where was I . . . Five Discs - Never Let You Go

54-40 - Baby Ran

sekim

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2002, 07:39:30 pm »

What a great source for finding new music. I have been bouncing between this site and some of the online cd sites checking to see if some or any is still available. Amazing what you can find.
How about some of these...Nectar,four80east,Ray Manzarek,Rick Braun,Ronnie Jordan,Scanty Sandwich.
Sorry had to throw the last one inNext Page

Scronch

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2002, 09:01:24 pm »

MH (as in Horton) - Other people have told me about Marillion.  I haven't had the time to look into them.  I think I checked once, and was kind of scared off by an album a year since the early 80's; but, hey, if the music is good, then quantity is a good thing, right?  I will try to check them out.  As for your music major sweetheart, I'm glad to hear she had nice firm cookies.

MH (as in MachineHead) - IMHO, Ray Manzarek got a free ride from Jim Morrison, and hasn't done anything of substance since.  I do have something off his Carmina Burana effort, but it's just his arrangement; it's not like he wrote the 1930's music or the 1800's lyrics.

Scronch

Michael Horton

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2002, 09:39:43 pm »

>>>>>>>>>>>>.How about some of these...Nectar,four80east,Ray Manzarek,Rick Braun,Ronnie Jordan,Scanty Sandwich.

You've lost me--are we still talking about music? If so, is there a connection between these artists, genre or otherwise? Tell us more about them. I like finger sandwiches--if someone else makes them (well, I guess that's true for any kind of food. Short of mountain oysters, that is). Hey, I just remembered a mountain oyster story.  One time, my ex and I were eating at a little restaurant outside of Solvang, Calif that specialized in wild game. She ordered mountain oysters as an appetizer, and tried to get me to have some. I didn't know what they were at the time, but I could tell that there was too much of a contradiction between the perverted, animated delight she was taking in eating the dish, and the appearance of that dish, so I politely declined. Funny, now that I think about it, we got divorced shortly thereafter.

zevele1

« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2002, 01:33:47 am »

scronch
How can i print your text about Genesis?I mean only this post
I would like so much to be able to write as you write!In english i mean,in french i can
I will ask around me for Genesis records.I am sure most of the people around me have it
I had my B.O.C. period also.They first double live lp was a "hit" for me.Today i cannot listen to only one side in a row!
I had a special twist concerning B.O.C.My mother had only one very stubborn craziness attack in her life:no,i will not -as i want-learn spanish as the second foreing language but german
This lead to a scabrous-scandal.I still have heavy memories about it.To fall from"this so nice and so much cleaver boy from this such well of and respectable family" status to "the one who learn german-subject of preach in the synagogue" is VERY HARD when you are 13 years old
And, one day ,i got a "jewish band" wearing nazi artefacts and playing with nazi image
To this day,i am still confuse about this 2 things,who melt as only one in my memory
This lead to the "secret shelf" you know the place where you put the records you do not want
to show to friends.I have ALL the B.O.C. on this shelve

listening to BOC-imagos

zevele1

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2002, 02:16:23 am »

MHorton
One more Plasticland,this is very good
Country-rock and-for that matter-Dead American b.& working .....
There is a great value to this.Young americans assuming they roots.The day you take your roots in your hands,you accept it as part of your culture,you do more for you and your country than 3876543215678 protest sit-in
What i mean:there is more to roots country than texas reich, kkk and any kind of church.there is more to the cowboy icone than adolf wayne
The day you do not let them as the sole 'landlord' of it,but take that is yours as well
This day,you and many people had a great achievement

toJ
I do not mean to be nice on part of this post.But if by your cultural standarts this is to much offensive on such a forum,just edit it

zevele1

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2002, 02:59:01 am »

many of you forget one of this forum rules: only enthusiastic critics of Long Ryders much be post
MHorton
Sid Griffin is a great r&r songs writter
Coal Porters is not as good as Long Ryders.But have a try to' rebels without applause' on Emusic,and tell me about 'the light that shines within' and 'stealing horses'
I feel like to mess around this afternoon-something to do with a very very painful osteopate session this morning-
So here a quote who may made this post with much than 109 posts
' i had like to stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table and tell him TownesVan Zandtis a better  songwriter'Steave Earle

sekim

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2002, 03:54:15 am »

Scronch-I guess I would have to agree

MHorton-No connections, just different tastes. As far as genre and what not,I'm wouldn't be much good at that. Best attempt...480&Rick Braun-Contemporary Jazz, Ray Manzarek-still trippin', Ronnie Jordan-R&B,Soul??, Scanty Sandwich-RAVE.

I should probably add that these are not my typical listens. Kind of a heavy rock©lassic rock fan. The closest to anything country in my grab bag would probably be the Mavericks.

Scronch

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2002, 05:53:13 am »

Zev - You can highlight any text you want, then Ctl-c (or Edit, Copy), then open Word or Notepad or an email note, position the cursor within, then Ctl-v (or Edit, Paste), then Print.  Thanks for the compliment.  A short comment: discussion of the KKK and Nazism are highly inflammatory; you should avoid them.  Racist nationalism, government control of the economy, and expansion throughout the world are not popular in most parts of the free world (i.e. most parts with Internet access).

MH's (both...) - I will admit, oh golly gee, to a teensy bit of country:  Loudon Wainwright III - Dead Skunk, Roger Miller - King of the Road, Tony Joe White - Polk Salad Annie.  OK, maybe those aren't "true" country, but it's as close as I want to get.

Scronch

Michael Horton

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2002, 06:32:00 am »

scronch

folk, country-pop, and, well--I'm not sura about that last one

Zevele1

ca. 1980 I shaved my head when I got in to the punk scene, so I was a "skinhead" for a while, I guess. Never, ever a neo-nazi though. never. ever. I'm primarily of German descent and, well--here's a Chills song about neo-nazi's (after that, I'm gonna drop this subject. I understand the tie in though, but I'm still hoping to reach post 109 . . .):

The Chills - Tied Up In Chains (1990)

I'm sick of the sight of those children of gloom
and those there spouting speeches--all their talk's in speech balloons

You know I'd like to educate them
though I don't suppose they'd care
to dig around the roots that grew their boots, salutes and hair

They're here to stay in this crooked game
that they're expecting to play for no return
so soon they'll learn for all their pain
they're tied up in chains that appear to change

Once I took a break and stopped and smelt
and felt the Dacchau air
If I thought I had a point
I had it strengthened over there

We're here to stay in this crooked game
that we're expecting to play for some return
but soon you learn that for all your pain
you're tied up in chains your fear has made

so operation degredation springs again to action
for that fairy-tale faction and their custom-built crusade

we're here to stay in this crooked game
that we're expected to play for no return
and soon you learn that for all your pain
you're tied up in chains your parents made
and they were dangling by chains their parents made
and they were dangling by chains their parents made
and they were dangling by chains their parents made . . .

TVZ probably is a better songwriter that RZ(BD), but certainly hasn't had as great an impact on music history, and one could argue that RZ paved the way for singer-songwriters like TVZ (hey, I figure a little controvery's good, as long as the topic here sticks with music, right?)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2002, 06:37:48 am »

So nobody thought my post was funny?

Really?

I must be losing my touch.

Michael Horton

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2002, 07:01:28 am »

>>>So nobody thought my post was funny?
>>>Really?
>>>I must be losing my touch.

you had a touch? No, seriously, it was funny. I think that we're avoiding comment in an effort to keep this thread open and eventually set a record (1. longest thread 2. least relevant thread 3. most unwieldy, nonsensical thread 4. most time wasted on a thread, etc.). I haven't commented on zevele1 or Machinehead's last couple of posts yet either.

JimH: suggestion to help those still stuck with using a modem--if you don't close this thread, how about editing the title to: test (warning: lengthy, rambling and so far off topic that it's even off its own topic)

or something similar

zevele1

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2002, 07:06:25 am »

I APOLOGISE.and i really mean it
The last thing i want  is to mess in such a wonderfull place.I wish to speak about music
My post about BOC,was "kind of i speak to myself" BOC  always remind me of this 2  weird things in my life
The post about country was kind of a typical french hammering provocative  everyday speech
I see it now,cause for a french forum it was quitte ok
Let say that i did learn something today ,and turn the page,with again,my apologises
beside this i do believe that my storie about roots is revelant-with other words than the ones i used
the only ,and "nice" provocation was the quote from Earle .Do not mean i agree with it.

again,very sorry
MHorton
I did history of art at the university

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2002, 07:13:44 am »

[sound of thread closing]

Not to discourage your fraternal instincts, but hey, does it ever occur to you that there may be a reason we don't have many ladies here?

Feel free to start up another thread, but please keep it female friendly.  We need them.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up