INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't access external hard drive  (Read 2732 times)

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
Can't access external hard drive
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:33:46 am »

I have been ripping my cd's to an external hard drive for the last few months, and have ripped @500cd's to flac using MC19.
I needed to get a new laptop. I downloaded MC19 successfully to the new laptop, then connected the external hd. Set MC19 to rip at flac and send to my external HD, then ripped a cd. That cd (and some music that came loaded on the new laptop) showed up in the MC19 library. At first none of the previously ripped cd's showed up when I pressed 'audio' on the MC19 page. I restarted the laptop and about 5-6 of my previously ripped cd's showed up in the library (along with the one I ripped and the music that came loaded), but the 500 or so others I had ripped did not show up.
What am I doing wrong?? How can I force MC19 to access the complete music library on my external hd?? Please help!!
Please be very specific with your answer as I am not a computer whiz.

Fangio

• World Citizen
Re: Can't access external hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:42 am »

Is MC pointed at your external drive under Tools > Import ?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:25:37 am »

I restarted the laptop and about 5-6 of my previously ripped cd's showed up in the library (along with the one I ripped and the music that came loaded), but the 500 or so others I had ripped did not show up.

MC runs its import process in the background; it has to scan through each file in your 500 albums one after the other to extract the metadata; so it can take some time before all the albums appear...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:20:57 am »

Thanks Fangio,
That did the trick.
Just a suggestion to the JRiver folks: since I set MC19 to export the ripped data to my external hard drive it would be helpful if MC19 automatically uses the export destination as one of the 'import' choices. I don't know how to forward to the beta group.

Tom

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 05:07:52 am »

Thanks Fangio,
That did the trick.
Just a suggestion to the JRiver folks: since I set MC19 to export the ripped data to my external hard drive it would be helpful if MC19 automatically uses the export destination as one of the 'import' choices. I don't know how to forward to the beta group.

Tom
To avoid waiting around, after you have correctly configured autoimport to include yourdrive/paths you want, after your rip workflow just run autoimport manually -- it will immediately process and import all the new files. Even with acces via slow USB 500 albums shouldn't take long at all ... (make sure the drive is showing up in jriver first of course)

from an i5 with approx 8000 cds it takes me less than a minute from internal drives to un an auto import. You can also choose to just import a specific path without running autoimport ... this would be even faster.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 02:29:13 pm »

This could be useful to some, but others won't like it.  A fair number of folks like to Rip to a staging area and do clean up first (proper tagging, external artwork, removing extraneous files, etc.), and only then move things to the MC auto-import area.  Since the option to add a new path to auto-import is so easy, its probably best after the initial install to leave this to the user.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

captacoustic

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:13 pm »

Does the MC import process just operate one time? Or is this something that happens each time you point MC to the external hard drive?

I have about 2000 CDs that will be stored on an external hard drive and I'm hoping it's a one time process.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »

When you run an import, it will scan and import the entire folder tree you've specified.  A manual import is a one-time run (later-added files aren't picked up until you run Import again).

If you configure auto-import with the folder, newly added and changed files will be picked up automatically.

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

captacoustic

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:02:42 pm »

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up