INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping DTS Music CDs  (Read 1659 times)

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
Ripping DTS Music CDs
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:36 pm »

I have a CD that is DTS encoded - Eric Clapton - Therrs One in Every Crowd.  Years ago I tried and gave up on ripping it.

Looking around the forum - I see that J River supports DTS since about version 16.  So - I stick my CD in and let it rip to a WAV.  It is a 5.1 CD.

Well - as before - I get static.  Wrong # of channels (2) shows up - and just static when I play it.  Except for track #9 - which shows being 6 channel - high bitrate - and plays fine. 

Rip log showed nothing different about track #9 from any other.

I checked the file types in Options - File Types and DTS Audio is automatic.

See attached for screenshot of the rip.  Anybody have any tips for how to get these to rip and play?

arrowc

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Ripping DTS Music CDs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 01:01:11 am »

Change the extension from wav to dts .  should play

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:46:00 am »

Change the extension from wav to dts .  should play
That's what worked for me. I just went to the extension and "renamed" it to dts. I tried changing the extension and did not see dts as an option when I clicked on the extension. So I just went to the file type, clicked on rename and renamed it to dts. That worked. For the first time, and I got my dts files to play back without static.

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:51 pm »

Great question; appreciate the answers as well. Also is there an easy way to split the .wav file into individual tracks, perhaps using existing chapter marks?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:26:00 pm »

I did the change file extensions thing - played fine as DTS - I then changed format to FLAC - (possibly mistakenly ?) thinking I would have better tagging capabilities in FLAC.

Anybody trying to do this - go back tot he days of DOS.  Open command prompt - get to the directory your rips are in - and issue the command

ren *.WAV *.DTS

Thanks all for the help.

connersw

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:41:33 pm »

Also is there an easy way to split the .wav file into individual tracks, perhaps using existing chapter marks?

Gylnor's suggestion of Particles works very well if you want to keep the original file intact and just use virtual files for the tracks.  If you want to physically separate the tracks into real individual files, JRiver also comes with a Media Editor.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Editor

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »

Thanks for weighing in. I have Nero 8 Suite (newer versions are bloated, hot messes) with Nero Wave Editor and thought to myself earlier yep, we may have to blast! It's been years since I fooled with that thing

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:21 pm »

You can also do it at the command line with BeSplit:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=79146

If you actually have chapter marks, there is probably a way to automatically read the chapters and split them at the chapter marks, so that you don't have to do it by hand.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up