INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best volume level setting  (Read 6333 times)

jd002200

• Recent member
Best volume level setting
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »

I was having an issue with playing music from my laptop running MC18 into the DAC in my hi fi system. The sound lacked dynamics, air, and large soundstage. I thought it might have been the specific files I was playing, but when I ripped a CD into MC and played it through the CD player/DAC, it sounded worse than CD played in the unit's transport. So I thought maybe it's a USB cable issue since the laptop is connected to the DAC via USB. I tried some high end USB cables, and that didn't make much difference.

I then started playing with the volume settings. I had originally been using internal volume set at 80%. I turned the volume down a little because some of the tracks are recorded at a high level. I didn't give it any more thought because the MC manual says that the volume control in MC is supposed to preserve all the dynamics. Regardless, I set the volume to 100% to hear what difference it made. When I did that--voila!--there was the music. Dynamics, soundstaging, detail were all there! :) :) :) I never thought the difference between 80% and 100% volume setting could affect the sound in such a dramatic way. Now I've disabled the volume control in MC. Windows volume is 100%, and I can still alter the volume with Windows. (I'm trying to figure why that isn't disabled.) But now I can finally enjoy hi rez files on my sound system!

What volume mode and level do most people use when connected to an outboard DAC?

Jim

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best volume level setting
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:21:56 pm »

I use Disabled Volume, and control the volume via the amp.

dpdemo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:28 pm »

I've set volume to 100% in MC.  I'm sending the FLAC files from a XONAR Essence XT card in SPDIF to the DSP crossover then control the volume at my DSP crossover that feed my amplifiers.

Sounds wonderful

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:50 am »

What volume mode and level do most people use when connected to an outboard DAC?

100% here out to my Teac UD-501. Control all volume via the Teac.

VP

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:58 am »

I use internal volume to control my volume for two reasons: 1) to provide headroom, because I use substantial amounts of DSP in JRiver for my active speakers, and 2) my amps have no volume control and my outboard DAC's volume controls are not easily controlled by remote.  I usually have internal volume set between 20% and 50%

jkkwaz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:05:08 pm »

I found this old thread and thought I would reply...I am using jriver on my HTPC with HDMI out to my Denon x4000. I have bitstreaming turned off so I can use the DSP functions, but I have a question. What should I be using for volume options? Disabled, system, application, or internal? When I boost some frequencies in the EQ, it gives me a net gain so I am turning down the preamp slider to prevent clipping, but that is bringing down the overall volume so I am not calibrated to reference anymore. Any ideas about what the proper setting is here?  I'd like to have headroom for dynamics without clipping, but would like to stay calibrated to reference.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 01:24:38 pm »

Depends on your setup

If you are using an external amp, you can disable volume and use the amp

Don't use application, it adds another volume layer and is not "audiophile"

If you use system it will control your windows volume as well, I prefer to leave system volume at 100% and use the superior volume control in jriver which is internal volume

My headphone amp is quite powerful so I use internal volume on my headphone zones to get more usable range on the amp dial.  For my hifi zones I disable volume and just use the amp volume

For my sound card zones I use internal volume as well and leave the sound card volume at 100%

Check out the wiki under "volume", there's a good explanation there

jkkwaz

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »

Thanks for the help!  I'll do a search for volume in the wiki.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »

I find the most convenient option is typically Internal Volume with Maximize device volume during playback enabled in WASAPI Device Options.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

As the article states, though, there is no "right" setting.  MC's Internal Volume control, however, is done very well.  It is doubtful that the volume control, even on your amp (assuming it is a modern home theater receiver) is of higher quality, and the vast majority of those are now also digital.

I used to do Disabled and use the volume control on my receiver.  But using Internal actually performs way better (and requires less fiddling) with my remote, and allows me to use JRemote to control volume too when needed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jkkwaz

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:29 pm »

Awesome, thanks for your help, Glynor...part of the reason I love this software is the great support :)

One more question that I am searching for, that maybe you can help me with real quick, is that I have heard that I need the 3rd party file from TMT to decode DTS-MA HD to send it PCM to my receiver.  Is there ANY way to get this file without actually buying the TMT software?

glynor

• MC Beta Team

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

I should note: One of the best benefits to using Internal volume is that you can use the Loudness feature, which is awesome.

Pages: [1]   Go Up