INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as a Package on a Synology NAS  (Read 73450 times)

Patatorz

• Recent member
JRiver as a Package on a Synology NAS
« on: February 01, 2014, 02:08:13 am »

Hello,

sorry if the post is not in the right section but I supposed it was OK.
I use JRiver MC on my PC with Music located on a Synology NAS. I manage the music through JRemote on a iPad. I do that most of the time because of the capacities of JRiver in terms of music management.
I wonder if it would be possible in the future to install JRiver on a Synology NAS as a package in order to avoid using a PC ? Would a NAS like Synology powerfull enough (perhaps it depends on the references) to manage such package ? Do you see any limitations ?

I think it really depends on the Synology MCU platforms (http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have)
In my case DS1512+, it should be OK as the MCU is not a ARM one and running X86.

Do you think it is something that developpers have in mind ?

BR

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

I thought about the same, but understood from other threads it will not be so easy to realize. Also it would be a Linux version, which lags behind the functionality of the Win-version. So I think I will go the HTPC/Mini-PC route with LAN access to my NAS to have full functionality available...

Patatorz

• Recent member
Re: JRiver as a Package on a Synology NAS
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:18:24 am »

Hi Alex,

I was thinking in the easiest and lighest way to do it...I think also in Raspberry but is seems not so easy. With a NAS it would be all in one :-)
Using a PC even light mean a windows licence, HDD, added energy consuming....I would just look for a PC as a server with the minimum inside but not able to find it (small, low consumption,...)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:58:54 am »

We have an embedded version that has no GUI, but it's still rough, and we haven't released it.  It works as a server and renderer now and runs on some pretty feeble equipment.

Installation on devices like Synology may be possible in the future, but it's too soon to say when.

Patatorz

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:46:31 am »

Thanks for the reply. The solution without GUI could be very interesting (like for minimserver competitor). Unfortunatly, I don't have any skills to push it on a Synology...

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:22:59 am »

Great news.

Jim, will the embedded version allow to stream flac and mp4? Or music only?

I have a Synology ds214 play with Atom (1.6 GHz I guess). Should that be sufficient?

I often read that people plan an i5 or even i7 for htpc's & jriver, so I am wondering, if an Atom would be ok enough...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:24:44 am »

You'll have to wait for more on this.  We're not close to releasing anything and it may never be released as a consumer product. 

ogs

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 03:14:24 am »

Great news.

I have a Synology ds214 play with Atom (1.6 GHz I guess). Should that be sufficient?

I often read that people plan an i5 or even i7 for htpc's & jriver, so I am wondering, if an Atom would be ok enough...

I agree. Great news!
Yesterday I tried the full MC19 on a tiny Atom 1.6GHz laptop with Win Xp. Playing stereo tracks cpu was around 50-60% with convolution enabled, but I got some 'clicks'. Without convolution, playback was clean and stable all the way up to 24/192 (using a Stello U3 USB device). I'd think the same Cpu with a Linux OS would be even more efficient. For video and/or multichannel sound I have doubts..
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

connersw

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:03:49 am »

Just to get an idea of minimum specs, I also run a full version of MC on an Atom D2700 (2.13GHz, Dual Core, 1M Cache) client.  It has 4GB of RAM and a 32GB SSD running Win7 32-bit. 

I watch video w/ ROSQ without issue using the integrated graphics.  Music is fine over-sampled to 24/192 w/ ~50% CPU usage while displaying Milkdrop.  The only issue is that I can not down-sample SACD ISO (severe stuttering; completely unplayable).  If I want to listen to them, I have to push them from the server with conversion.  Navigating can be a bit sluggish sometimes as well, particularly with the remote.  Navigating with Gizmo works much better, especially when playing all-day DJ and changing tracks on the fly.  If I get too aggressive with flipping around tracks though (say switching tracks after listening for just a few seconds a couple times in a row), I will get ~10-seconds of stutter until it catches up.  Albums/Playlists, and even changing after a complete track, is not an issue. 

I'll have to post my JMark score in that thread later, but if I remember correctly, it is ~950. 

PS: For people looking at DLNA DMRs, Rasberry Pi, etc for extra locations around the house, I built this client with all new hardware for < $200US shipped to my door.

csimon

Re:
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 05:47:09 am »

Just dropping in here...

I think so much is up in the air at the moment, but it depends how much functionality would be built into an eventual server/embedded version. Like, is it going to be a just a database/library server where clients will connect to it in order to get data, but the actual playing and audio processing will be done by the clients? In which case, this is what a NAS should excel at and I think this is probably what people are asking for.

If there's a renderer built-in then that implies audio processing. This may stress a NAS, but I guess it depends on individual NAS processors and what sort of processing you want to do and how many streams you want to process at the same time. On my Core i7 dual-core mobile processor running Windows 7 and MC, playing 4 different audio tracks with processing at the same time pushes CPU to about 5%. However, all Synology NAS's can certainly be used as players, at least if you plug an external USB DAC in.

Streaming video should be fine, but playing video is another matter.

Obviously, the more functionality of the client that is built into a server version the more demands it will place on server hardware. In my opinion, servers should be servers, not desktop workstations!

gmeardi

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:31:38 am »

We have an embedded version that has no GUI, but it's still rough, and we haven't released it.  It works as a server and renderer now and runs on some pretty feeble equipment.
Installation on devices like Synology may be possible in the future, but it's too soon to say when.
+1 with your "NAS server" linux project (Synology DS1513+ in my case).
I bought JRiver both for PC and iPad, but... I'd really like not to always have my PC switched on to play music. Or to have another media center in addition to the Synology station...
Please keep us posted: the Synology DSM OS is Debian based... so it should be relatively easy to port yr current Debian version to Synology...
And it's ok focusing initially only on top quality audio: no particular need for video (I directly access them with my Oppo105 and Synology software).

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »

+3 for this. Synology NAS used. Model 1812. Happy to have it perform as the server, and still pay for JRiver license on my Mac. If I could displace Minimserver on my NAS, and use JRiver that would be wonderful, and even better use JREMOTE as the controller with it. I have a Auralic Aries as my renderer, so JRiver on the Synology NAS would server up files to Aries, and I could control it with JREMOTE. The best of all possible worlds, and still use the JRiver Mac instance to manage and organize my metadata and albums.

Barr

p.s. and I (selfishly perhaps) only require it for music.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:19 pm »

I have upgraded to MC20....it's a no brainer IMO.  However, is it possible that JRiver could be used with a non-JRiver Renderer (AURALiC ARIES) without the use of a computer?  I just love JRiver and JRemote and would like to use it instead of their app.  I think the market would be massive for this need.  I currently use Minimserver to go along with their DS Lightning App but would love to replace all of that and just use JRiver/JRemote or even keep Minimserver and use JRiver/JRemote.

I'd happily pay $100 for this. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

shadowlight

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 08:03:24 pm »

We have an embedded version that has no GUI, but it's still rough, and we haven't released it.  It works as a server and renderer now and runs on some pretty feeble equipment.

Let me know if you need any alpha tester's  ;D

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 08:07:11 pm »

Let me know if you need any alpha tester's  ;D
+1

I'm pretty certain if this was posted on CA it would go crazy.  There is such a need for this.  Come on Jim, your family has been Pioneer's for years...DO NOT STOP!   ;D ;D ;D
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:27 pm »

I would happily bid $125 for this. Would suspect it wouldn't need a lot of ongoing maintenance either ( referring to a non rendering version ).

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:26 am »

Further, Minimserver has said that they will not support ISO files.  You have it all figured out too so there is that. 

My podcast:

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 04:23:51 pm »

If your use is audio, this is a lot like what the Id does:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89084.0

Among other things, it is a DLNA Server.

Right now, the storage is a 128GB SSD, but SSD's are available up to 1TB at a reasonable cost.

If the Synology runs SAMBA, the Id might be able to import the audio from it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:18 pm »

I'm pretty certain if this was posted on CA it would go crazy.  There is such a need for this.
I saw that you posted at Computeraudiophile.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 04:29:49 pm »

If your use is audio, this is a lot like what the Id does:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89084.0

Among other things, it is a DLNA Server.

Right now, the storage is a 128GB SSD, but SSD's are available up to 1TB at a reasonable cost.

If the Synology runs SAMBA, the Id might be able to import the audio from it.
Yes, but some of us have something different. 

My podcast:

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »

I saw that you posted at Computeraudiophile.
Yes, I did.   ;)  My hope is that if enough people get behind it, you will do it!   ;D  I'd be willing to whatever it takes to make it happen. 

My podcast:

Nemes_Rhadamanth

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 10:59:18 pm »

Definitely a want for this function here.

I am really trying to cut electricity costs as the price
is really expensive here in Australia.

Would pay decent coin for this functionality.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 12:43:08 am »

Looks like your 1st post. Welcome to the fun.

In the meantime, you could grab yourself a solar panel or 2 and go DIY:

if power costs are an issue..   ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 07:33:51 am »

Our low power solution is the JRiver Id:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id

It uses 7 watts.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 01:50:39 am »

I would be  happy to be an alpha tester on my Synology DS1512+.  I would love to move the server library over to my NAS.

Carl.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 01:30:31 pm »

I had a different approach...i took a qnap 870pro and installed a windows os on it to run the jriver server thus reducing the footprint. But would also use a server package on my "genuine" synology.

Patatorz

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 12:11:23 am »

Any updates ?

Opawesome

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 07:07:53 pm »

Any update would be more than welcome as I have been quietly waiting for such a solution (JRiver in a NAS) for years now.

Thanks in advance

Opawesome

davide256

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 11:52:21 am »

I had bought JRiver licensing for versions 16-19 but now that I have a Synology NAS and dedicated renderer have had to give up on JRiver in favor of using Minimserver. I'd pay for JRiver as a UPNP controller/server application on NAS but have abandoned PC as a good server/renderer option. The only other choice  I see if JRiver doesn't do this is go to Mac Mini as NAS and buy the Mac version of JRiver.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:37 pm »

I had bought JRiver licensing for versions 16-19 but now that I have a Synology NAS and dedicated renderer have had to give up on JRiver in favor of using Minimserver. I'd pay for JRiver as a UPNP controller/server application on NAS but have abandoned PC as a good server/renderer option. The only other choice  I see if JRiver doesn't do this is go to Mac Mini as NAS and buy the Mac version of JRiver.
Why can't you use the JRiver Id? It runs JRiver on Linux and works well as a server for a NAS.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 12:59:23 am »

Why can't you use the JRiver Id? It runs JRiver on Linux and works well as a server for a NAS.

How would that set up look? With It and a setup in which music is streamed to airport express'es.
I don't understand Id.
One Id for each pair of speakers? That's awfully expensive.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:27 am »

Here's the description of the Id.

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 04:00:08 pm »

I have both Qnap TS-419P+ (Marvell 1.6GHz) and a Synology DS1513+ (Intel Atom D2700 x86_64 ) and really would love to see a package for JRiver for either one...heck, I might be willing to pay for such!

I would think with all the Linux development, a NAS-flavor has to be close at hand.  Or maybe virtualized?

My main use would be to serve Gizmo clients.  Might be nice to hook up a USB audio output device to the NAS sometime in the future (although some units come with HDMI output now).
==
roognation
human electrode

wizardofoz

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 11:06:38 am »

Someone told me there is a jriver package for QNAP now....is synology on the cards too soon?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 11:58:44 am »

Not soon.

tyler69

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 12:04:03 pm »

Any news on this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 02:27:25 pm »

No.  Sorry.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07:50 pm »

I am interested in the Id. I just purchased a Denon DA-300USB to act as a DAC. I want to be able to play music on a NAS-like device that stays on 24-7. I have questions and need confirmation:
If the home PC is off, music needs to reside on Id, therefore it is the server. Yes?
The DAC is now the rendered, yes?
The JRiver remote will connect to the DAC or the Id?
How does the music get from the PC to the Id?
Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24:13 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Your DAC is just the DAC.  The Id is both the Renderer and the Server in this case.  Gizmo or JRemote or other remotes are the Controllers.

The wiki has a topic on DLNA that defines what these mean.

tyler69

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 06:30:50 am »

No.  Sorry.

Hi,
is it considered to release a Synology package in the near (<6 months) future?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 06:36:30 am »

I can't say how likely it is.

Joaquindapark

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 04:17:05 pm »

Ok Thanks JimH. One more: MC is now running on my PC. I presume MC will be on the Id as well. Will JRemote know which MC to control? When PC is off JRemote should only see Id MC. What about when PC and Id are on network?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 06:12:06 pm »

If you have MC running on several servers, the Access Key will be different for each.  In JRemote or Gizmo, you can just add the Access Key and you will see a new server.  It works very well.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 06:16:41 am »

I would like to put a 1-up here to say that this would be incredibly useful to me as well. Here's to hoping that you decide to implement it =)

renerene

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2016, 07:45:35 am »

It would be great to have my Amazon Echo play music from my Synology NAS -->Please implement
All other music options that Alexis works with come with a commercial monthly subscription 

tyler69

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 08:48:27 am »

Bump.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 10:16:46 am »

Yes please to this.

I have a Synology 410.

fleetz

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »

Wondering if this progressed any further.

Makes for an elegant solution having JR installed on a NAS. Have a Synology DS418Play and would prefer to use my JR rather than the likes of PLEX.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 07:51:44 pm »

After what happened with QNAP, I honestly would be very surprised if JRiver developed and released a version of MC for Synology. Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2018, 05:43:42 am »

After what happened with QNAP, I honestly would be very surprised if JRiver developed and released a version of MC for Synology.

I am unaware of that development, and a quick search doesn't turn anything up for me - what happened?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up