INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimizing Folder Structure for fast auto-import  (Read 816 times)

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
Optimizing Folder Structure for fast auto-import
« on: February 03, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

I have a pretty vast music library and auto-import takes forever (on my mac system it takes way longer)! It bogs down my system and takes a long time to recognize new items that I download to locations that are set to be scanned in auto-import.

Wondering if there's anything I can do to help the auto-import function do its job?

Currently, i have auto import set to scan 7 locations on a NAS drive. Most of the music is in one folder:
Z:/Vault/[album]

There are thousands of folders within that "vault" folder.

I wonder if it would be easier for scanning purposes to break up the "vault" folder so that there would be several smaller sub-folders containing smaller chunks of my library?

Or, does it just take a while and that's what I get for my unchecked rabid music collecting habit?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Optimizing Folder Structure for fast auto-import
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:31:13 pm »

Remote file system directory enumeration will always be slower than local file systems.  If the NAS is not propagating filesystem change events, MC needs to enumerate the entire tree.

Disable antivirus checking for the all of the MC processes, and for all local and remote file system trees where you're storing your media.  A/V solutions give extra treatment to network access (and remote filesystems apply here), so even disabling real-time scanning or excluding network paths is insufficient.  The best test is to work with the A/V software uninstalled on both the client and file server machines.

If you have extra auto-import features enabled such as Analyze, Get Cover Art, Build Thumbnails, Get movie & T info, these will affect performance too.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up