INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: loud click/pop at the start of DSD tracks  (Read 3847 times)

JVH

loud click/pop at the start of DSD tracks
« on: February 06, 2014, 08:15:52 am »

I use Media Center 18. With DSD files - any DSD file, dff or dsf, both native and DoP - there is a loud click or pop at the start of a track. How do you solve this issue?

Thanks

José Henriques

a1bert

Re: loud click/pop at the start of DSD tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:22:35 am »

I use Media Center 18. With DSD files - any DSD file, dff or dsf, both native and DoP - there is a loud click or pop at the start of a track. How do you solve this issue?
Is it at the start of the track or at the end of the track?

I have been writing a .dsf reader/player and it sound like a mistake on the part of the generator of the dsf file.

DSD data is stored as 4096-byte blocks (per channel) in the .dsf file, thus the last block needs to be 0-padded.

There is a perfectly good field "number of samples" to hold the number of actual DSD samples in the dsf format, but at least the files I have seen this far put the useless padded length of the data there instead of the correct value. The chunk size gives the size of the data itself, so there is really no reason other than stupidity programming error to not put the correct number of samples to the number of samples field.

So, now I'm one of the people who needs to fix this error in the player.

Complain to the source of the file or the writer of the converter first for the bad implementation, then ask whoever maintains the player to make a workaround / detection of the padding.

(Choosing a padding of 0x55 instead of 0x00 would've been much wiser from the group that defined the dsf format.)

-Pasi

Pages: [1]   Go Up