INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrated graphics and Madvr  (Read 14834 times)

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Integrated graphics and Madvr
« on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:56 pm »

Haswell Integrated graphics and madvr

Hi all, I am about to build a HTPC/server and would prefer a small-ish form factor/lower powered/cooler/quieter machine with minimal trade-off for performance. Currently how good are Haswells + integrated graphics for MadVr video performance...or is a separate graphics card still required ?
Thanks
David

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Integrated graphics and Madvr
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 04:19:27 am »

Put another way, what does an Nvidia GTX 660 discrete card do for Madvr rendering that say a mobile i7 4950HQ/Iris Pro 5200 (GT3e) can not do ?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:43:37 am »

Deinterlacing, probably. I've not had a GTX660 but IIRC Jmone has/had one. I think it does deinterlacing with madVR.

I currently own the latest generation of Intel's NUC with Haswell i5/HD5000. It does madVR on high settings perfectly fine but has trouble deinterlacing.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:31:15 am »

Deinterlacing, probably. I've not had a GTX660 but IIRC Jmone has/had one. I think it does deinterlacing with madVR.

I currently own the latest generation of Intel's NUC with Haswell i5/HD5000. It does madVR on high settings perfectly fine but has trouble deinterlacing.

Can it handle Jinc?  If so, I may be grabbing a NUC soon  ;D

I've got a GTX660, and until the recent update to MadVr, it could handle more or less max settings on every media type I tried (Jinc 3AR for both chroma and luma, deinterlacing, etc.).  Now that MadVR has introduced debanding, NNEDI, etc. I'm pretty sure it could no longer handle "maxed out" settings on all media types, but I haven't experimented because JRiver hasn't integrated the new MadVR version yet, and I've been too lazy to sideload it.    

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:24 am »

I went from a hd4600 to a gtx660 because the igp couldn't deal with interlaced content (1080i in my case) and I wanted something that just worked for everything. The 660 runs pretty cool and handles everything in madvr 0.86

0.87 and nvidia doesn't seem like a great option atm because of the opencl issues. I get the impression the amd cards that have the performance run rather hot so it might be a tricky one to get the balance right.

I haven't seen many reports of iris and madvr so unsure whether it has the extra horsepower needed.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:02:14 pm »

Can it handle Jinc?  If so, I may be grabbing a NUC soon  ;D

I currently have it set to Jinc 3 with AR for chroma and image upscaling and for image downscaling (whcih never happens :P) Catmull-Rom with AR and linear scaling enabled. This works fine for all progressive SD, 720p and 1080p I throw at it.

I haven't actually tested deinterlacing but I don't expect it to work very well.

If you're serious about getting a NUC, take note of the trouble I had with it.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:30:45 pm »

I went from a hd4600 to a gtx660 because the igp couldn't deal with interlaced content (1080i in my case) and I wanted something that just worked for everything. The 660 runs pretty cool and handles everything in madvr 0.86

0.87 and nvidia doesn't seem like a great option atm because of the opencl issues. I get the impression the amd cards that have the performance run rather hot so it might be a tricky one to get the balance right.

I know there is debate over whether the Iris pro is equivalent to a 640,650,660...this review http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4776/18/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-the-end-of-mid-range-gpus-conclusion pitches it at the 650.Whatever the case it seems like every madvr update needs more powerful cards.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:31:32 pm »

Apparently the gt3's don’t support 25 or 50 frame rates ? I am in Australia and there is no longer PAL TV analogue broadcasts (frame rates for 25p or 50i), However I gather the digital DVB-T is 25fps ? If so it would seem to exclude the Iris pro for Aussies?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »

Yup - I'm using the ASUS DirectCUII OC GTX660 in my HTPC (a Shuttle) and it handles 1080/60i on Jinc3+AR incl deinterlacing with head room to spare.  The previous 550Ti would handle up to 1080/50i (just at 90% GPU Utilisation) but could not do 60i without dropping frames.  I also run for a while on the iGPU 4000 and it could run madVR but only with "easy" scaling algorithms. 

I too am interested to see how madshi's new NNEDI but will wait till the issues with the nvidia driver is sorted out and madVR relases a non test build.  If possible I'd like to use NNEDI just from Chroma as most of my material I care about is BD playback.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:36 pm »

I know there is debate over whether the Iris pro is equivalent to a 640,650,660...this review http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4776/18/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-the-end-of-mid-range-gpus-conclusion pitches it at the 650.Whatever the case it seems like every madvr update needs more powerful cards.
Bear in mind that review is comparing to the 650M which is a long way behind the desktop 660 as far as I can see

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-vs-GeForce-GT-650M

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »

Yup - I'm using the ASUS DirectCUII OC GTX660 in my HTPC (a Shuttle) and it handles 1080/60i on Jinc3+AR

So that's a Yup that the GTX660 handles the deinterlacing (and Iris Pro does not) ?

Have you heard anything about lack of 25fps compatibilty of the Iris Pro for use in Australia ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:01 pm »

The GTX660 is fine, I have no idea on Iris Pro.
JRiver CEO Elect

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:01:33 pm »

I too am interested to see how madshi's new NNEDI but will wait till the issues with the nvidia driver is sorted out and madVR relases a non test build.  If possible I'd like to use NNEDI just from Chroma as most of my material I care about is BD playback.
I think you will need a 2015 graphics card to do NNEDI and anything else at the same time.  ;D

I tried it on my 2011 graphics card and it went from 15ms to 250ms  ;D

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:38 pm »

I think you will need a 2015 graphics card to do NNEDI and anything else at the same time.  ;D
I tried it on my 2011 graphics card and it went from 15ms to 250ms  ;D
On anything but the highest-end cards, NNEDI3 image doubling should only be used for upscaling SD content - it's just too demanding for anything else. This is why the update which brings NNEDI3 image doubling also introduces scaling profiles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up