INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System Sounds Kill Music  (Read 2893 times)

jaredean

• Recent member
System Sounds Kill Music
« on: February 20, 2014, 12:42:17 pm »

I just purchased this amazing software today after testing out several other programs and i'm very excited to own it.  Before i bought it (using the trial version) i noticed that when i played music if i got an email i wouldn't hear the "ding" associated with it (or appointments, etc.)  I didn't mind this, but thought it would be nice to have those sounds quietly in the background if wanted/needed...

Well, after I purchased i noticed that system sounds will stop the music completely (dinging loudly) and i can't get music to play again until i close and open MC.

SPECIFICS:

JR19 for the Mac (19.0.117)
I am using an Audioengine D1 Dac through SPDIF on my Macbook Pro.  I did go into the audio settings and choose my D1 (core audio) and set volume to Internal Volume.  All of this since purchase.

So, is there a way to either get back to no system sounds, or have them play in the background quietly without interrupting my music?  I'd love to know how and where to change (because the options are extensive and i've tried looking for a logical place)...

jared

lobo85

• World Citizen
Re: System Sounds Kill Music
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:18:03 pm »

Did you set your audio device up with "exclusive" access? If not this may help.

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »

Did you set your audio device up with "exclusive" access? If not this may help.

Yes, i set it up for exclusive access (Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings > Open Device with Exclusive Access is checked)

It has been that way and doesn't work, or at least doesn't seem to because i keep losing sound...

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:17:24 am »

You should route all your system sounds to your Mac and not the DAC, if you have not already done so.

Apple Menu->System Preferences->Sound

Sound Effects->Play Sound effects through Internal Speakers

Output-> Internal Speakers (Built in)

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 10:08:31 am »

You should route all your system sounds to your Mac and not the DAC, if you have not already done so.

Apple Menu->System Preferences->Sound

Sound Effects->Play Sound effects through Internal Speakers

Output-> Internal Speakers (Built in)

I was very excited to try this fix, hoping it would cure what issue but it doesn't...

The problem is that i'm using the mini-plug to connect my DAC since it is also the Digital/SPDIF out.  So, when i go to the Sound Effects and choose the drop-down for "Play Sound Effects Through:" the only two options are "Digital Out" and "Audioengine D1".  Since the digital out is also the Audioengine D1, both of them are the same and neither will work.

Any other ideas?

jared

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 11:09:56 am »

If you use the digital out, it disables the internal speaker (and the analog out, which shares the jack).

The DAC isn't connected via USB?  Why is it connected via SPDIF?

PS.  You almost certainly don't need to use both.  It is one or the other.  That's why it shows "twice" (once for the SPDIF, and once for the USB connection).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 10:38:36 pm »

If you use the digital out, it disables the internal speaker (and the analog out, which shares the jack).

The DAC isn't connected via USB?  Why is it connected via SPDIF?

PS.  You almost certainly don't need to use both.  It is one or the other.  That's why it shows "twice" (once for the SPDIF, and once for the USB connection).

Yes, it does seem like a strange setup, but there is some method to my madness.  The D1 DAC is able to play 24/192 files, but only through the digital out.  The USB is 24/96.  Now, the reason i have both plugged in is because the DAC is powered by the USB port.  I did plug the DAC into the wall so it wasn't showing itself, but it still doesn't fix my desire to have music at 24/192 (i know, not that i can hear the difference anyway!)  I just hate that i can't have the system sounds bugger off when i'm using the digital for my DAC.  Quite frustrating.

I did unplug the digital and went through the USB and tested having the system sounds go to the internal speakers.  That worked, but because the laptop is closed and under the desk i can't hear the system sounds.  I just want loud music, quiet system sounds and peace in the middle east.

Is that so hard?

thanks for your help...
jared
Pages: [1]   Go Up