INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with 96Khz / 4Ch  (Read 2491 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Problems with 96Khz / 4Ch
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:29:01 am »

Hey all.  For some reason when MC comes upon a 96Khz 4 Channel track I get the following message:

"Playback could not be started using the format: 96Khz 24Bit 4Ch
This format would work: 96Khz 24Bit 2Ch
Would you like to have the output setting changed automatically".

Thing I don't get is that I have no problems playing 6Ch in 24Bit / 96Khz.  So why the hickup on the 4Ch?

Carl.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Problems with 96Khz / 4Ch
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:43:40 am »

Many devices don't accept 4 channels, only more "standard" layouts like 2 and 6.
You can tell MC to change the number of channels to 6 for example, to work around such complications (in Audio -> DSP & output format)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:29 am »

Hmm.  That works if I set it to 5.1.  But then it is going to change everything that is not 5.1 to 5.1 right?

Is there a way to get it to change only the non compatible 4.0 stuff to 5.1?

I didn't really want it to change everything.  My receiver automatically upconverts the stereo stuff to 5.1 when it detects it and plays the Multi-Channel in their default detected number of channels which I like.

Strange I don't remember having this issue with 4Ch tracks before.  Only with the 88.2Khz and 176.4Khz stuff which I have set to convert to 96Khz and 192Khz.

Carl

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:09:29 pm »

In the DSP Studio you can set it to Mix to 5.1 and then there is a checkbox you can select "For Stereo sources, only mix to 2.1)
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »

I have set the DSP Studio to 5.1 and checked the "For Stereo Sources Only mix to 2.1"  But MC still says it is mixing from 2 channel to 6 channel.

It isn't actually mixing to 6 channels as there is not sound coming out of the rear or side speakers.  However it seems like it is sending out a 6 channel signal with only 2.1 channels of audio because my receiver still indicates it is receiving a 6 channel signal.

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:27:08 pm »

Under Options --> Audio --> Audio Device --> Default Audio Device, are you using Direct Sound or WASAPI or ?  If you are using Direct Sound then Windows Audio Mixer is doing the mixing.  If you use WASAPI then it will be direct to your device without Windows doing any of it's mixing.
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:31:56 pm »

It is "TX-NR1008-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) (WASAPI)

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:29:36 pm »

Hi Carl,
Great, Under the Device Settings (in the same area) is "Open device for exclusive access" checked?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:01 pm »

Hi Carl,
Great, Under the Device Settings (in the same area) is "Open device for exclusive access" checked?
Thanks
Nathan

Yes it is.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »

It's very strange because it's sort of doing what it's supposed to.  The 4.0 stuff is being upgraded and sent out to 5.1 speakers, the 5.1 stuff is being untouched and sent out to 5.1 speakers (Blue DSP Icon).  The 2.0 stuff is only actually being sent out to 2 (Or maybe 2.1) speakers but it is sending it to the receiver in a 6 channel enveloppe or something making the receiver think it is supposed to be recieving a 5.1 signal even though there is only music in 2 channels  (Maybe 2.1?)

Hard to tell if it is 2.0 or 2.1 because my receiver would seperate and send to sub regardless.

Carl.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:43:22 pm »

You are correct.  Just checked on my AVR and the 2.1 is being sent in a 5.1 package (so with 3 Blank channels).  Now I vaguely remember some discussion on this years ago...
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:51:05 pm »

Here you go -
All multi-channel devices (receiver, Blu-ray player, JRiver, etc.) use a standard format for playback of multi-channel content. They playback/accept content generally in 2, 6, or 8 channels. The LFE or subwoofer is always on channel 4. In order for 2.1 playback to send the subwoofer out on channel four, it has to be sent out, at a minimum, in a 6 channel matrix with channels 3, 5, and 6 silent.

If one was to send just 3 channels to a receiver, then the subwoofer signal would end up coming out of the center speaker since that is always on channel 3. Even if you aren't using a receiver but going directly to amps, you would manually have to change your cabling every time you switched from 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1. By always keeping the same channel order for output you don't have to change cabling when switching formats.
JRiver CEO Elect

jctcom

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:57:24 pm »

So I guess I can't do what I want to do.  Which is to be able to play those Quad channel tracks without the stereo tracks being modified so they are sent to the receiver untouched.

Carl.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »

So I guess I can't do what I want to do.  Which is to be able to play those Quad channel tracks without the stereo tracks being modified so they are sent to the receiver untouched.

Carl.

You could setup two different zones and use a zoneswitch rule based on the number of channels.  It wouldn't solve the problem for mixed playlists, but would get you most of the way there.

jctcom

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 01:41:30 am »

Thank.  But the whole point of this is that during a mixed playlist my receiver automatically switches from a straight through signal for multi-channel tracks to a sound stage for stereo tracks which (For me) give me the best of both worlds.  I guess I might have to put the quad tracks aside until I figure something out.  maybe a different dedicated sound card or something that supports the Quad stuff.

I have to run some tests though.  I am sure I played the quad tracks in the past without any problems and without having to convert them.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 01:45:07 am »

Actually what I think would solve this is if instead of up mixing the 2.0 to 2.1 they just left it at 2.0 (Or added that as an additional option if necessary?).  Then they wouldn't have to send it out as a 6Ch signal.

After all I think most of us don't need the 2.1.  My Receiver (And I am sure most other) automatically reroutes the base to the sub woofer channel.

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up