INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Song Notifications?  (Read 7168 times)

jaredean

• Recent member
Song Notifications?
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »

I liked Winamp on the PC that had a little pop-up telling me what the new song was when tracks changed.  Now that i'm on a Mac (and using JRiver) i miss when a track changes and i don't see the pop-up...Is there a "notification" system that i can turn on within JRiver to show me song information when it first starts?

jared

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Song Notifications?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »

There's nothing currently.  Maybe someday it will hook into the Mac's notification system, or Growl.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:09:20 pm »

Bummer...add it to the Wish List!

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:20:52 pm »

If you want, I'll write you up a little script you can run to send Notifications with the song's title, artist, and album name.  It will use the MCWS service to get the current playback status, and the artist, album, and track info, and post it to the notification system.  It will poll MC once / second to get the playback status (JRemote does the same thing).

MrC

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:01:32 pm »

Mostly done.  A little more polishing, but here's how it looks so far (see attached).

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 09:13:44 pm »

It seems to be working nicely.  Here's a movie (download first to your HD, and then play from there, as apparently some have trouble playing movies from Dropbox).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87189402/playing_now_notifier.mp4

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:52 am »

First off, no idea why i haven't been getting notifications about this topic...

Secondly, THANK YOU! That is EXACTLY what i was hoping to have and i can't believe you busted it out like that without breaking a sweat (not to mention your screen shot containing Sigur Ros...love it)...

Watched the video and it seems to be working really well.  How do i get this wonderful addition, or will it be added to the next build?

jared

MrC

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:47:26 pm »

This isn't part of MC - its just an separate script I created.

Attached is a zip file, which you can download and unzip.  See the README.txt file inside for running the program.  To run it, supply a full or relative path to the script, such as:

path/to/mc_notifier/mc_notifier.pl

jaredean

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 04:57:10 pm »

Thanks! I'll give this a shot as soon as i'm done dealing with Server issues that are melting down my network :(

Zanth

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 02:39:19 am »

Although this is an old thread I wanted to issue a thanks to MrC.  Tonight I tried streaming from my server to my laptop for the first time (v21 to v21) and once I got that all working I realized for the first time that I didn't have any notifications popping up with each new track.  I looked everywhere in the settings until I came back to the forum to see if such a thing was possible outright.  It seems that it isn't yet a feature (though I do hope it will be soon, it seems simple enough to implement.)

A bit of further sleuthing and I came upon this thread.  3 minutes later I'm up and running with notifications for each track change.  For convenience I stored the folder provided by MrC in the plugins folder (application support/jriver/mc21).  All I need to do now is figure out how to load it when MC starts up and I'm golden.  Even if I have to manually start it, this is very helpful.  thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up