INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get sound from Zotac Zbox to Receiver via DAC, but without playing to HDMI-->TV  (Read 5382 times)

Al ex

• Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

I have now connected my Zotac Zbox HTPC --> SPDIF --> DAC --> Cinch analog receiver to get Audio on my living room boxes.

The HTPC is also connected to the TV via HDMI.

The problem is that if I start the HTPC, then the audio is played automatically via HDMI to the TV. But I want to have it via SPDIF to the receiver. I need to unplug the HDMI, then the Audio is sent to SPDIF, and then I can plug in the HDMI again, which is really not an optimal solution.

I havenīt really found a way to solve this - anyone with similar experiences and a solution for this?

Thx

csimon

It sounds like your output settings is using the default Windows sound device.  Does Windows change the default on its own, I don't know?

Go into Audio Settings and change the device to your SPDIF device, via WASAPI exclusive if possible.

astromo

• MC Beta Team

I had a look at a Zbox manual that I found here (just picked a unit with HDMI and SPDIF):
http://www.zotac.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox/product/zbox/detail/zbox-id91-plus/sort/starttime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/downloads.html

For that manual, p.19 reviews audio options. If this is a reliable guide, csimon is on the money.

The other possibility is that it's a setting that needs to be switched via the BIOS. I'd try csimon's suggestion first though.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Al ex

It sounds like your output settings is using the default Windows sound device.  Does Windows change the default on its own, I don't know?

Go into Audio Settings and change the device to your SPDIF device, via WASAPI exclusive if possible.

Thanks, I was already playing around with it, expecting to see a "SPDIF-device", but this is not shown, although I am using the SPDIF.

However, with "Realtek Digital Output", setting this to "Default" it seems to work. After restarting the PC and MC, songs are automatically played via Realtek/SPDIF to the analog receiver :)

Regarding my "HTPC Zone" in MC - I have three options:
1) Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]
2) Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) [WASAPI]
3) Samsung Display Audio [WASAPI]

You say, I shall take option 2 = Realtek with WASAPI.
Shouldnīt it be rather option 1 = Direct Sound?

astromo

• MC Beta Team

Time to get up close and personal with the Wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

I'll let you borrow deeper. See where WASAPI takes you (not to be confused with the green, spicy, Japanese condiment that makes sushi explode in your mouth).

Do the research. I think you'll find that WASAPI trumps Direct ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Al ex

Time to get up close and personal with the Wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

I'll let you borrow deeper. See where WASAPI takes you (not to be confused with the green, spicy, Japanese condiment that makes sushi explode in your mouth).

Do the research. I think you'll find that WASAPI trumps Direct ..  ;)

I will buy me a Sushi and dig into this deeper coming weekend, thx :)

csimon

Regarding my "HTPC Zone" in MC - I have three options:
1) Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]
2) Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) [WASAPI]
3) Samsung Display Audio [WASAPI]

See above.  But "Default Audio Device" means the Windows default device, which it seems the ZBox does change on its own according to what is plugged in.  Realtek Digital Output is indeed your SPDIF output.  Samsung Display Audio is HDMI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up