INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kindly asking for assistance on network configuration  (Read 2805 times)

rinoatomy

• Junior Woodchuck
Kindly asking for assistance on network configuration
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:08:28 am »

Guys,

I've already asked this question before but unfortunately for me, I cannot get this to work. I don't even know it its possible anymore.

I've searched on wiki pages, forums everything. Hoping that maybe someone can help me out here.

I do want to connect remotely with JRemote and connect to web-gizmo outside my server's locations.

The problem is that I can't set up a static IP. My only option is dynamic IP.

If there is one, what are my options and what do I have to do to make it work.

Thank you.

cavediver

• Recent member
Re: Kindly asking for assistance on network configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:33:21 am »

If your dynamic IP changes often enough, then you'll have to us a DNS service like Dyn http://dyn.com/dns/ to give you a static IP address. There are other DNS services like DYN, but I've not used any of the others. I've used DYN in the past when my IP was changing every 6 months and needed daily remote access to my home office server and was happy with their service (I actually still have an account with them, but don't currently use it). I now have a dynamic IP with Comcast, but my IP hasn't changed in over 2 years, so I don't have to use the DYN service at this time.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »

You don't need that.  The built in Access Key system is for that (to overcome a dynamic IP).

Explain your setup at home (inside your LAN) more, including the make and model and setup of your gateway/router, and I will explain with greater detail.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:17:50 am »

To achieve what you're looking for, without using a service like Dyn, you'd use Access Keys to access your server

1. Find out details on, or create your Access Key via Options > Media Network > Access Key.  If you click on the button to the left of your current Access Key, it gives a few handy options for generating an invite like this one:

Code: [Select]
Hi,

If you have a copy of Media Center on your PC, you can play media from my library by selecting 'File > Library > Connect to Library...' and then entering the following access key:
<ACCESS KEY>

You can also use a web browser on a PC or a portable device as a remote control for my library by using this link:
http://webremote.jriver.com/<ACCESS KEY>

You can also play media from my library on your iPhone or other device by using this link (on your device):
http://webplay.jriver.com/<ACCESS KEY>

Thanks.  And don't laugh at me for having Abba in my library.

2. Configure client copies of MC, or apps like Gizmo and JRemote, to connect to your server via the Access Key instead of using an IP address.  Use the URL from the greeting message to make your bookmarks.

Bear in mind, this does require an active Internet connection (at both server and client ends) to function (whereas using an internal LAN IP will work at your house even if your Internet connection is down).  Of course, you can always add more than one "copy" of the network Library to MC from within the Library Manager, including a direct LAN IP version should one ever be needed, so that's not a big concern.

When accessed via an Access Key, MC connects through JRiver's servers, which can resolve your server's public and private addresses even if they change.  This works just like many "GoToMyPC" type services operate, including Back to My Mac from Apple.

3. Forward the proper TCP port through the firewall on your LAN's Gateway/Router to the server inside your LAN.  The specific instructions for how to do this, and the requirements, depend on your specific gateway device.  With most consumer routers, this will require you to set whatever machine acts as your server to use a static IP address inside your LAN (but this has no bearing on your dynamic Internet address, only the private 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address used inside your private network).  Then, you tell the router to forward incoming traffic on that particular port to the machine at address 192.168.whatever.  You typically do this by accessing a web "utility page" that the router creates inside your network, though it could be accessed via (as with Apple's AirPort devices) an actual application you run on your computer.

The Port MC is configured to use is specified at: Options > Media Network > Advanced > TCP Port.  I believe 52199 is the default, but I changed mine so long ago that I don't remember, and I don't see it explicitly stated as the default anywhere in the wiki (though that's the port number used commonly in all the examples, so I really think it is).

You can probably look up instructions specific to your router on the website for the manufacturer of the device.  Look for FAQs about Port Forwarding.  There are also some general-purpose Port Forwarding websites out there with instructions compiled for a variety of devices.  However, be wary of some of the scammier varieties that try to sell instructions, or "wizards" to do it for you (which are often little more than how to videos wrapped in an application).

I should add...  While you are at it, update the firmware on your device.  Infected and compromised gateway devices are an epidemic.  If possible, you should consider replacing the stock firmware on your router (assuming you own it and aren't renting it from your ISP) with a community-powered one like dd-wrt.

4. If you have the OSX Firewall enabled, ensure that it is allowing incoming traffic on the specified Port.  On Mavericks you do this by going to:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

If Block all incoming connections is unchecked, as it is by default, then you'll probably be okay without further changes.  However, if you want to be sure or you experience difficulty, you can add a application-specific exception by clicking the plus sign and choosing MC.

If this still doesn't work, after completing the above, see if you can solve it by disabling the OSX Firewall.  If so, you can open the port manually at the terminal. Post back for further help in the unlikely event that you need to do this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rinoatomy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:19:52 am »

glynor, you are the man. thank you. :)

Its good to know that a static ip is not necessary. Now there's no way it won't work, specially with the immense help you provided.

cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up