INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR remote causing Pause-Play loop and other IR malfunctions  (Read 3023 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
IR remote causing Pause-Play loop and other IR malfunctions
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:54:48 am »

Hi

We often have a problem if we pause a movie, play it again and pause it again soon after (eg if we are discussing it) and then try to play it again. It seems from this point to get stuck in a pause-play loop, gradually stuttering forward. We use a harmony One on a case with iMon configured as a MCE remote.

Also we quite often get a situation where certain keys on the remote don't work. Tonight it was the left right arrows. A reboot fixed that.

Any ideas what may be causing these remote control issues? I have purposely done no remote control configuring within MC, as iMon translates the IR signal to a keyboard equivalent.

Thanks
Z

Z0001

Re: IR remote causing Pause-Play loop and other IR malfunctions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:34:05 pm »

Anyone?

What with this and the focus loss issue MC is often unusable by someone who just wants to use an IR remote to navigate and play,  or like us, after their kids hurl the keyboard across the room and break it.

We have imon as the IR reciever and IR code converter. And this may be part of the issue (not the focus issue).

Do people experience any such issues with the MC remote and IR reciever? I'll be using a harmony One off the back of what ever IR solution I land on.

Cheers
Z

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:50:40 pm »

Perhaps not related at all: but last week, I paused and then unpaused from JRemote, and suddenly MC went into the same loop by itself. I haven't been able to reproduce this again.

Z0001

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:24:02 am »

So maybe not IMon or IR related.

Another weird one is that sometimes, on no particular IR remote key press, the PC will shut down.  Does MC have a "shut down PC" command within it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:48:46 am »

MC can shut down the PC from the Exit menu in Theater View.

The remote could also be sending the Power off command.  You could try another remote if you have one..

Z0001

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:26:33 pm »

I'd like to buy the MC remote. Have people reported any such issues with it? Is it still available?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:37 pm »

It's not right now.  Sorry.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 06:47:46 pm »

That sounds to me like a borked iMon driver, or perhaps a damaged remote.  The remote being damaged, however, would probably do it even after a reboot.  But who knows...

However...

Another thing to try, is to reposition the iMon receiver.  I have absolutely seen, and heard about (to hilarious effect), IR sensors being tripped by all sorts of stray light.  In particular, fluorescent lights (like the "twisty lightbulbs" everywhere now) are common sources of interference with IR sensors.  I've seen it happen with TVs that mysteriously turn themselves on and off, change channels randomly, and stuff like that.

I also was unable to take my old Macbook (the weird aluminum, non-pro one Apple made for a year or two) into certain rooms at work because the lighting would trip the IR sensor on the laptop (even when closed and asleep) and trigger the Volume Up command.  So, you'd walk into the room, and if the laptop was out, it would continuously make the Apple "volume up" clicky noise (at full volume, of course).  And, you couldn't mute it, because the Volume Up command would, of course, unmute the system.

Was pretty funny, actually.

In any case, you might be actually getting "stray" commands on the iMon generated by things other than the remote.  Try moving the sensor, or lighting around, particularly while it is happening, and see if you can make it stop.  Maybe kill the lights and throw something over the sensor?  Then, if it keeps happening, you know it is "driver related" (or broken iMon hardware).  If it does stop, the problem is external.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:36:40 pm »

You didn't mention your display type. A plasma TV can cause IR interference too.

I bought a cheap MCE remote from Amazon to use with my Harmony One. (You'll need the USB IR receiver - Windows installs the drivers when you plug it in) It works quite well and to date no issues. Set up as usual using the Logitech software.

Pages: [1]   Go Up