INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Fixed] - I get short "fades" using DACs with an Amp  (Read 2650 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
[Fixed] - I get short "fades" using DACs with an Amp
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:05:57 am »

I had a persistent issue during playback, I was geting short "fades" on my speakers. It is sort of like power is lost for a tiny bit. At first I thought it was a problem with my DAC getting pops/clicks so I replaced my FiiO E10 with a O2/Headphone Amp.  I tired all sorts of DSP and Audio settings but could not narrow it down.  I then noticed I was only hearing it with the speakers connected to my Axiom Audiobytes and not from the Headphones (both connected to the same DAC).

After posting about the issue on the Axiom Forum I got this response for their engineer:

...I think the issue might be a high output level from your DAC. The Audiobyte amp has a limiter circuit to protect the speakers from being overdriven, and it can exhibit the behavior you're seeing. Can you try and reduce the volume level of the DAC (might have to be done at the computer) and then compensate by increasing the volume level on the Audiobyte amp? Let me know if this clears up the fading.

In MC, I've changed to "Internal Vol" and set it at -10dB as so far so good (I did test a -5dB and it removed most but not all fades).

One for JimH's Weird thread!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: [Fixed] - I get short "fades" using DACs with an Amp
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 01:26:20 am »

I actually experienced a similar thing with DSP studio. I was using the EQ but it amplified the signal so that MC's clipping protection activated. I had the preamp slider down by 2.5dB but it wasn't enough. I heard the same thing as you describe.

It actually sounded a lot like an amplifier that couldn't deliver enough current during certain passages to drive the speakers optimally.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: [Fixed] - I get short "fades" using DACs with an Amp
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:05:33 am »

At one point I too thought it was a combination of all the DSP settings I had running, but in the end, -10db fixed it.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up