INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chord Qute EX: JRiver freezes when pausing in Kernel Streaming and Windows 2012  (Read 5676 times)

xamastrok

Hello,

I did not have any of the problems that the title suggests with my original QuteHD (JRiver 18, Windows Server 2012, connection via USB). Then, I upgraded to Qute EX, and along came a new USB driver for Windows. After that I have this problem when output mode is Kernel Streaming: whenever I 'Pause' I cannot play anything again, sound simply does not come out and if I then click on 'Stop' JRiver totally hangs. What I noticed is that by pressing 'Pause' it is as if JRiver lets go of device access, suddenly sound from another input starts playing, for example optical.

Some other notes:
- The problem is irrespective of JRiver version, the same happens in 18, and different releases of 19.
- WASAPI does not have this problem. Nevertheless, manufacturer recommends 'Kernel Streaming' in the manual.
- Driver is officially not for Windows 2012, but for 7/8, but I think that Windows 2012 and 8 share the same core. And anyway, I had no such problem with the previous driver.

I am attaching the JRiver log files, but frankly I do not see anything wrong there. Can I test something in JRiver? Do you think this is this a matter of driver that needs to be escalated to the manufacturer?

Thanks for the help,
Ari.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

If the issue started with the new driver, and you cannot use another older driver anymore, I strongly suggest to ask the manufacturer for help.
FWIW, the log doesn't show anything helpful sadly, it just seems to hang when trying to close the audio output, but it hangs in the driver somewhere, not MC.

On a related note, Kernel Streaming is generally not a widely recommended mode on anything newer than Windows XP, but WASAPI exclusive mode is, which functions in a very similar way, and has an equal direct connection to the audio device, but is more widely supported in the operating system these days.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

xamastrok

Thank you for the quick reply. I will write an email to Chord then, and even escalate through the local dealer if they do not get back at me.

As a side note, switching to WASAPI and selecting "Open device for Exclusive access" does not produce sound (although JRiver seems to "play" the track normally). Sound comes out only if I de-select Exclusive access. Which is a bit strange since I have ticked the 2 relevant exclusive acesss boxes in the Control Panel properties for the DAC, and if I press the test button there sound comes out normally. Have you encountered that before?

Again, I do not remember such a behaviour with the previous drive but also with the previous JRiver version.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Did you search for "Chord" here?  There have been other topics on this.

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Ari, et al,
Just wanted to chime in since I'm having a similar issue to the one described here. I'm using a Chord QuteHD with MC 19.0.146, windows 8, kernal streaming.

MC hangs every time I push pause and then try to play another track of a different sample rate. It works fine if I pause and then play another track of the same sample rate, but if I switch sample rates, MC just hangs. It says "waiting" in the playback bar, and the program becomes unresponsive. I have to force quit and then either reboot, or terminate the JRiver background process in the Windows task manager.

I will reach out to Chord as well. I believe Hendrick is right that it's a driver issue, as Chord has had issues with driver compatibility in JRiver before.

Thanks, and happy listening (just don't hit that pause button!).

-Ari (yes, that's my name, too...quite a coincidence!)

xamastrok

Hello Ari (you must be either from Greece or Finland, but I think it's the former like me!),

my problem is worse as I mentioned before, any pause hangs JRiver and system requires a reboot.. But then, I have Qute Ex, a different product.

Shortly after posting here I contacted Chord Electronics, and they admitted a bug in the driver. They advised me to use WASAPI, which they claim to be better anyway, and that they would look into the driver issue. I do not expect miracles though; it's been a long time and no driver update has been released yet. My only hope is that subsequent versions of JRiver do some magic to solve this by themselves.

You can try to contact Chord yourself, and keep us posted. Frankly speaking, because I cannot operate without pausing or Kernel Streaming, I am now using foobar2000 for music playback in my headless music server, which works perfectly with Qute Ex and the audio quality is at least equal to JRiver in my system. I still use JRiver in my laptop for library management, tagging, and everything else apart form playback.

Thanks for posting,
Ari.
Pages: [1]   Go Up