INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo Audio Quality Options Question  (Read 7601 times)

toor6

• Recent member
Gizmo Audio Quality Options Question
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything on it specifically. 

Can my flac files be streamed to my Android with Gizmo without conversion to mp3 or is the Gizmo app limited to 320kbps mp3 for high quality audio streaming?  I see no way around it.

Thanks.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo Audio Quality Options Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:44:21 pm »

Here's a thread from another user with the same concerns:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82472.0

Sing out if you need more info.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

toor6

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:14:15 am »

Thank you, I checked that out.  It seems to say there that there is no way around the downgrading to mp3 when playing on the device.  I see that it does not convert to mp3 during stream to my Oppo when used as a controller, but always will if playing direct on my Android.  I'd like the ability to listen with headphones on my Android at times and not be tied to my receiver all the time to get lossless quality.

I've just been demoing the JRiver at this point and I think it's awesome otherwise.  But the inability to play uncompressed audio on my Android is a make or break for me.  I know it's possible to stream flac to my Android without glitches because I've done it, albeit with more cumbersome methods, so I was really hoping this would work with JRiver, but it appears to not be possible. 

Not sure why the option of streaming flac without the degradation isn't there.  I didn't rip my CDs to listen to them as mp3s- even on my Android.  Unless I'm missing something this seems like a huge oversight for a product aimed at audiophiles.   ?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:28:24 am »

Thank you, I checked that out.  It seems to say there that there is no way around the downgrading to mp3 when playing on the device.  I see that it does not convert to mp3 during stream to my Oppo when used as a controller, but always will if playing direct on my Android.  I'd like the ability to listen with headphones on my Android at times and not be tied to my receiver all the time to get lossless quality.

I've just been demoing the JRiver at this point and I think it's awesome otherwise.  But the inability to play uncompressed audio on my Android is a make or break for me.  I know it's possible to stream flac to my Android without glitches because I've done it, albeit with more cumbersome methods, so I was really hoping this would work with JRiver, but it appears to not be possible. 

Not sure why the option of streaming flac without the degradation isn't there.  I didn't rip my CDs to listen to them as mp3s- even on my Android.  Unless I'm missing something this seems like a huge oversight for a product aimed at audiophiles.   ?

That's not the way I read it:
You can configure the audio format served in Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Audio on the server.  The best is to always serve 24-bit WAV (unless your device doesn't support 24-bit or WAV nicely).

The audio format selection on Gizmo is only when playing on the device (Nexus7 in your case).

Look at the 1st pic. You've got the option of picking your encoder. So, for high quality work pick 16 or 24 bit PCM - whatever suits your audio quality best.

Look at the 2nd pic, you can select whether or not you want the audio converted or you want to leave it up to MC. For you, I'd suggest trying "Always convert". As long as you've got sufficient speed and bandwidth from your network connection, then you should be right.

I may have the wrong end of the stick but that's what makes sense to me. I don't know enough about how the internals of the software works. I'd defer to knowledge and expertise of others who have a better understanding. Always happy to be corrected..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

toor6

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:42:16 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate your help, but I looked at all those options. That does work for streaming to a web browser using WebGizmo, or streaming to my Oppo player, but to get audio playing from my Android, the only option is to use the Gizmo Android App.  WebGizmo does not work with my Android browser.  The Gizmo App works, but the streaming quality is one of three: 64, 128 or 320 kbps.  No matter what the settings in JRiver are, if the Gizmo Android app is set at 64kbps, it WILL play 64kpbs, and it of course, will sound like garbage.  To me that indicates that the Gizmo app is controlling the streaming quality to my Android, and not JRiver MC, unfortunately.  Very odd restriction... Of course I can set the Gizmo app to play at 320, but that's as high as it goes.   :'(   I'll keep at it, but it is not looking good for the Gizmo Android app.  Too bad, it's really nice other than that.  I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about this.   :o

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:25:31 pm »

Check your settings in Gizmo.

toor6

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:18 am »

Check your settings in Gizmo.

I've checked everything I know to check.  If control over streaming quality isn't controlled under "options" in Gizmo, I don't know how anyone would know.  <Options> audio quality, gives just 3 choices: 64, 128 and 320kbps.  Is there a menu I am not finding??  Again, I am not using Gizmo as a remote, I am trying to stream audio with Gizmo, through my Android's headphone jack.  When my Gizmo app on my android is set to 64kbps , I hear a 64kbps mp3, no matter what JRiver MC is set at, and I have tried every setting I can think of.  No matter what, unfortunately the only options I see, are 128 or 320kbps- two other lossy choices.  I get that Gizmo can control a stream going elsewhere without those limitations.  If you have the instructions that can show me how to do play lossless flac on my Android, with Gizmo and JRiver, that is what I am looking for.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:23:03 am »

I've checked everything I know to check.  If control over streaming quality isn't controlled under "options" in Gizmo, I don't know how anyone would know.  <Options> audio quality, gives just 3 choices: 64, 128 and 320kbps.  Is there a menu I am not finding??  Again, I am not using Gizmo as a remote, I am trying to stream audio with Gizmo, through my Android's headphone jack.  When my Gizmo app on my android is set to 64kbps , I hear a 64kbps mp3, no matter what JRiver MC is set at, and I have tried every setting I can think of.  No matter what, unfortunately the only options I see, are 128 or 320kbps- two other lossy choices.  I get that Gizmo can control a stream going elsewhere without those limitations.  If you have the instructions that can show me how to do play lossless flac on my Android, with Gizmo and JRiver, that is what I am looking for.

Oops - I had the wrong end of the stick. I concur. Yep - I see the same deal as you. All I'm left with is to work via WebGizmo but you've said your Android browser doesn't play nice.

Maybe a different browser might work?   ?

toor6

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:05:58 am »

Oops - I had the wrong end of the stick. I concur. Yep - I see the same deal as you. All I'm left with is to work via WebGizmo but you've said your Android browser doesn't play nice.

Maybe a different browser might work?   ?

That's what I'm hoping.

I'm glad you see it too.  It seems the Gizmo app for Android can act as a remote control for a main system but only as an mp3 player locally through the Android.  I hope an update comes along to fix that.

I'm going to mess with WebGizmo and I'll report back my findings. 

Richheart

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »

I use BubbleUpNP on my Nexus 5 (Android) and the Gizmo app recognises this as a renderer. I can stream Hi-Res flac Using the Gizmo as a controller (on the Nexus 5) to the BubbleUpNP on the Nexus 5. I was happily playing 24/96 (not tried 192, as I restricted the MC to 24/96 for playback via Mac Mini).

toor6

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:18:30 pm »

I use BubbleUpNP on my Nexus 5 (Android) and the Gizmo app recognises this as a renderer. I can stream Hi-Res flac Using the Gizmo as a controller (on the Nexus 5) to the BubbleUpNP on the Nexus 5. I was happily playing 24/96 (not tried 192, as I restricted the MC to 24/96 for playback via Mac Mini).

I may have to give that a shot, thanks!

toor6

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 08:40:49 pm »

@Richheart-
It worked like a charm, I can now enjoy lossless on my Android  ;D  Thanks again.  I guess I'll stick with JRiver.  I still hope the Gizmo app gets an update to fix that mp3 issue though.  It shouldn't be necessary to use BubbleUPnP....

joeafterdinner

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 05:26:26 pm »

I know this thread is very old, but I figure I would chime in and relay what I have found.

If I set the JRiver Media Center to not convert audio under the DLNA/Media Server settings, it does not convert. I can verify this by listening in Gizmo, and not seeing anything show up in the conversion cache directory or in my library.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up