INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug? - Rip Disc  (Read 2577 times)

DaveMan538

• Recent member
  • So much good music. So little time...
Bug? - Rip Disc
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »

When I insert a CD to rip, I open the tag window to modify tags for the new files before ripping.  When I return to the Rip Disc window and try to rip the disc, MC says there are no tracks available.  Here's the specifics:

1. Insert CD
2. Click "Action Window" at lower left, choose "Rip Disc".
3. Click "Action Window" again and choose "Tag"
4. Modify any tag(s), close "Tag" window
5. In Action Window, click "Rip Disc"
6. Observe the "Insert CD" dialog that says "There are no tracks available to rip.  Please ensure an audio CD is in the drive and that tracks are selected."

The workaround is to click "Cancel" in the dialog, click "Cancel" in the Audio Rip Progress box, and start again.  The tag changes are maintained.

This has been the case for some time (and on different boxes) and it's not a huge deal.  If it were, I'd have reported it long ago!  Can anybody else reproduce this or is the loose nut in front of the controls?   :)

Thanks for your help as always!

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bug? - Rip Disc
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:45 am »

Yes, I have had this a few times recetly too. I sort of assumed it might have been my optical drive getting dodgy.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:33:30 am »

Do you have AnyDVD or PassKey installed. If so try configuring it not to autostart on windows boot, reboot system and try ripping again. I had this issue a while back and this cured it for me.

John

csimon

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:56:20 am »

I don't have either of those.

DaveMan538

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:29:07 am »

I do now, but this has been going on since before that install.  I'll test it this evening to be sure.

DaveMan538

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:32:50 pm »

Tested by disabling AnyDVD and confirming that it did not start after a reboot.  Still behaving as described above.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 04:11:34 am »

One troubleshooting step for problems like this is to check if there are any filter drivers interfering.

To see what filter drivers are installed, install ImgBurn.
Go to Tools >> Filter Driver Load Order...

Look to see what filter drivers there are, if any.
Some filter drivers are normal.  For example, iTunes installs a filter driver.
Other filter drivers can be from programs that can interfere with rips.
If you have any filter drivers installed you can google their names and figure out what they are.

The Filter Driver Load Order utility by busTRACE is another way to see what filter drivers are loaded.  That page also includes a brief explanation of filter drivers.

DaveMan538

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:30:04 am »

Thanks, Frobozz!  I installed ImgBurn on each of my three systems (1-Vista/64, 1-Win7/32, 1- Win8/64. All exhibit the same behavior).  The only filter that was common to all three was GEARAspiWDM.sys.  So, as a test, I renamed that file and rebooted my laptop (Vista).  This resulted in the dvd drive not being recognized (clearly, this won't do! lol).  There were a couple of other filters identified by ImgBurn on each system, but each was unique to the given machine, there was no duplication of any other filter.

Was renaming the file a legit test?  This is venturing into territory where I'm a complete newb!

Frobozz

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:59:29 pm »

The GEARAspiWDM filter is good.  It's installed by iTunes and doesn't cause conflicts.  It is well behaved.
Renaming the file is not the way to disable or remove a filter driver.  Renaming the file will just break things. To remove or disable the filter driver you need to edit the registry to remove that particular filter driver.  Best not to do that unless you know what you are doing.

I wonder if you're having a file permissions problem where MC can't write to a particular temporary directory that it needs while ripping the disc?

Go to Tools >> Options... >> File Location
Look under "Program Files" for where the temporary files location is.
Make sure it is not located on a remote shared directory or some other directory that might have read/write permission problems.
That directory should be on your C drive located in the profile for the logged in user or location that all users will have unrestricted access to.

I'm not sure where MC writes temporary files while doing the rip.  I'm assuming it is that directory.  If it's a different directory then you'll need to make sure that directory doesn't have any read/write permission issues.

DaveMan538

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:55:31 pm »

<headscratch>
The temp directory is "C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19\Temp\".  "Dave" is the current user so writing to that path is not a problem.  I ain't skeered to edit the registry (if I knew where to do so) but the only filter that is common to all three machines is the one installed by iTunes, so I doubt that's it.
</headscratch>

Frobozz

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:43:06 pm »

It is a head scratcher.  I tried the steps you listed, and a couple of variations, and wasn't able to trigger any sort of ripping problem.  I'm not sure what could be going on.

Some troubleshooting ideas...

Do any other programs have problems ripping?  Like Exact Audio  Copy or Windows Media Player or iTunes?

Do you have any sort of Windows File Explorer extensions that allow you to see tracks on a CD as ripped files?
The AutoRuns utility from Sysinternals can let you see what extensions Explorer is loading

You could try creating a clean new library file in MC. 
Go to File >> Library >> Library Manager... >> Add Library
And create an new local library
Load that new library and try ripping a CD
If you're having problems even with a clean library we'll have to scratch our heads some more.

As for the filter drivers, here's a microsoft KB article that explains the registry entries: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
I doubt you've got a filter driver problem.  I mentioned it because some copy protection schemes use filter drivers.  And filter drivers of that sort by their nature are designed to interfere with ripping or burning.  So it's a reasonable troubleshooting step to check the filter drivers when you have ripping or burning problems.

DaveMan538

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:46:54 pm »

No trouble ripping from iTunes and Windows Media Player.  In both cases, tried modifying tags before ripping.

No File Explorer extensions.

Created a clean library.  Tested ripping without making changes to the tags.  Rip was successful.  Modified the "Album Artist" tag and tried ripping again.  Got the same error as described in the reproduction steps above.

Did I understand that you were not able to reproduce this problem?  If anybody else has seen this, PLEASE chime in!

Thanks all!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »

Modified the "Album Artist" tag and tried ripping again.  Got the same error as described in the reproduction steps above.

Try to see if it is a specific tag (or tags) you modify that triggers it.

I don't even have any CDs nearby to test with.  Sorry.  :-\
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Frobozz

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 07:25:00 am »

No trouble ripping from iTunes and Windows Media Player.  In both cases, tried modifying tags before ripping.

No File Explorer extensions.

Created a clean library.  Tested ripping without making changes to the tags.  Rip was successful.  Modified the "Album Artist" tag and tried ripping again.  Got the same error as described in the reproduction steps above.

Did I understand that you were not able to reproduce this problem?  If anybody else has seen this, PLEASE chime in!

Thanks all!

I did try ripping several CDs following your steps and some variations of your steps.  I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.
I don't know what could be going on. 

DaveMan538

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »

Here either.  It's an annoyance, not a major crisis.  I'll continue looking into it and report back if I see anything worth reporting.  I appreciate the help, all!  Thank you!!! ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up