INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC hangs at "buffering"  (Read 21034 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC hangs at "buffering"
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:11 pm »

Crashing and hanging aren't the same thing.  In any case, we'd like the Log Output Package (which is a ZIP file).

Also, this:

3) Can't be the disk because it hangs in the same way with externals 3.0/2.0 USB HDs and even the internal SSD where the libraries are located.

Where the media lives is not relevant.  If the drive where MC is installed (or, of course, where the Library is stored) has issues, or Windows has corruption, you have problems.  To be clear, I mean "big-L" Library, not "little-l" library (MC's database, not the media files).  I'd absolutely recommend doing the troubleshooting steps in the Troubleshooting Disks guide.  At least these two:

1. Do CHKDSK
2. Do sfc /scannow

In particular, if SFC finds issues it can't repair, you have deeper issues on the system.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 04:02:42 pm »

Hanging when in playback because when I close the OS error message I can hear a fraction of a second of music, in direct sound MC just hangs till I close the application myself.
Crashing without playback.

point 3): that what I meant, JRiver is installed in the same SSD with the OS without partitions. All media are in external 4TB 3.0 HDD. Never less I transferred a folder into the SSD to test it without importing it in the library, just quick play, and I went into the same problem.

I performed OS troubleshooting, chkdsk and sfc/scannow. Nothing to report.

I might completely reinstall JRiver and see where I go with that...

Thanks anyway!

edit - No idea where to send the log.zip file. Too big to be attached here.

Wungun

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 05:17:53 pm »

Did you guys get a chance to look at my log/dump files yet...?
Seems rikirk kinda jacked my thread. :)

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 07:27:38 am »

Sorry Wungun. The only reason why I posted here was because we are sharing the same issue, maybe not because of the same cause, and I thought was helpful to add my troubles. I have nothing more to add and hope things will just somehow with an update like happened in the past.  :)

Wungun

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 05:54:46 am »

No worries! :)
Hard to imagine if it's a software issue, more people aren't effected...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2014, 12:15:13 pm »

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 03:08:40 pm »

Hi Wungun, just spotted your thread - sorry for coming in late
I have this issue. It has followed me on various computers since early v18. That was XP on a laptop. I've tried win7 through v18 and early 19 on an Intel i3 NUC. Then 2012R2 and v19 on a i5 NUC. "Buffering..." and crashes unfortunately. 2012R2 with no AV or any other interfering programs. At the moment I do not use MC because of the instability. I am hoping JRiver at some point can track down where in the code this problem is and get it fixed.
In the mean time I mostly use LMS and squeezelite. Never crashes. I also test MC19 on Linux, but it is a bit 'rough' at the moment even if it has made real progress lately.

Only stereo audio, Intel 53427 NUC, 2012R2, 8Gig mem, SSD, dedicated to MC, no screen keyboard or mouse, no AV, DSP studio (convolution and parametric EQ) enabled, JRemote, USB connection to Stello U3

Hard to imagine if it's a software issue, more people aren't effected...
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »

Only stereo audio, Intel 53427 NUC, 2012R2, 8Gig mem, SSD, dedicated to MC, no screen keyboard or mouse, no AV, DSP studio (convolution and parametric EQ) enabled, JRemote, USB connection to Stello U3
Only audio?  Someone reported a problem with upsampling and convolution simultaneously.  Either one worked.  I believe I linked to it above.

Can you rule out the Stello U3?

Is the media stored locally?

Having "no screen keyboard or mouse" isn't common.

What is 2012R2?

What type of files?

Are you running the most recent build of MC.  It's 19.0.128, available at the top of this board.

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:02 pm »

Only audio?  Someone reported a problem with upsampling and convolution simultaneously.  Either one worked.  I believe I linked to it above.

Can you rule out the Stello U3?

Is the media stored locally?

Having "no screen keyboard or mouse" isn't common.

What is 2012R2?

What type of files?

Hi Jim,

No up- or re-sampling. Audio only. 98% flac, a few wavs. 16/44 to 24/192. Media is stored on a Readynas (which is Debian based). Mounted with NFS on Linux or Cifs on Windows. 100mbps full duplex network.  2012R2 is the latest Windows server OS. I run the NUC completely headless and use Remote Desktop if I need to configure anything on MC. JRemote (or occasionally Gizmo) to control playback. The Stello is stable with the Windows version of squeezelite. Also stable with MC19 Linux. Both on the same Intel NUC, but with different SSD's. Same hardware and USB port. In the past I have tested with files stored on local drive to see if I could pin it to Cifs or NFS. Same problem. I actually tried NFS under Windows. There is a proper NFS driver in the OS, but this did not help either.
The "Buffering.." or crash seems to happen either when skipping to a track on a different album - same resolution (i.e. 16/44) or, more frequently, from one album, say 16/44 to a 24/96 album. I do not use playlists so I do not know how this would behave with a mix of tracks in a list.
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 05:23:09 pm »

Try a test library.  Local FLAC only, 16 44.

Windows Server is not a common OS for us.

Headless is also unusual.

I'm not saying that either of those are the problem, but please test a little to see if you can find out what the difference is.

Are you using the same settings with squeezelite and the Stello?  Playing the same files?

Latest build?

A couple of problems related to analysis were fixed recently.

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »

Try a test library.  Local FLAC only, 16 44.

Windows Server is not a common OS for us.

Headless is also unusual.

I'm not saying that either of those are the problem, but please test a little to see if you can find out what the difference is.

Are you using the same settings with squeezelite and the Stello?  Playing the same files?

Latest build?

A couple of problems related to analysis were fixed recently.

Windows server R2 is very similar to 8.1.

I always use the latest build, at least when I test. Squeezelite and Stello use same settings as MC. Same files.
I'll do a test with local library. I depend on a solution with files on the NAS though. Local library is not possible as permanent solution.
I have looked at MC logs earlier and seen traces of the crashes. I'll save logs if I can reproduce the error. Maybe also a dump as described by Glynor further up this thread

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2014, 07:00:45 am »

Thanks.  The tests are just to see if we can find out where the problem is. 

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:09 pm »

Just want to report that my issue disappeared simply removing the TV service from JRiver. Everything works fine now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »

Thanks for reporting that.  Do you have any TV devices connected to your PC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:38 pm »

edit - No idea where to send the log.zip file. Too big to be attached here.

Please send it to me.  yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 12:54:16 am »

Did you guys get a chance to look at my log/dump files yet...?
Seems rikirk kinda jacked my thread. :)

I'm sorry.  I got distracted and busy and missed it until the links had expired.  I apologize, because I know it was tough with the splitting.

If you have another, or still have that one, can you upload it again?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 07:38:50 am »

Hendrik looked at this thread and he didn't see anything we haven't discussed.

I did think of a couple more possibilities:

Dual NIC's

Bad hardware attached

Also the "Weird Problems" thread linked in my signature.

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »

Thanks for reporting that.  Do you have any TV devices connected to your PC?

I do Jim. AverMedia Tuner via HDMI to Panasonic Viera Plasma.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:16 pm »

Please try turning off auto import under Tools/Import.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »

We've found something that may be related.  Try turning off auto import and not playing any DSD files.  See if that makes a difference.

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2014, 02:38:50 pm »

Thank you Jim for the follow up. Testing on .128 with DSD and w/out DSD with Import on and it's working fine! Really no clue why it did not before since I am using the same settings I had when it was not working... crossing my fingers :). Love JRiver! thank you all for the kind support!!

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »

I'll have to give that a try on my system...

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: MC hangs at "buffering"
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »

Please try turning off auto import under Tools/Import.
I don't have the option to turn off auto import...at least not in Tools/Import.
Is it located somewhere else?

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2014, 04:09:49 pm »

I tried with a small local library and I could not reproduce the error in the relatively short time I tested. I then saw your message about turning off Auto import. Since yesterday I have run with my normal configuration: music files on NAS, Volume leveling (R128), Parametric EQ, Convolution. Auto import disabled. Kernel streaming to Stello U3. No Zones. So far no crash or the "Buffering..." issue. I'm cautiously optimistic now. I have jumped between tracks on different albums and varying sample rates/bit depths more than I usually do with no problem so far.

Thanks.  The tests are just to see if we can find out where the problem is. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2014, 04:22:01 pm »

MC may be finding a file it doesn't like.  Hendrik made a change in 19.0.131 (to be released this week) that may fix the problem:
2. Changed: Improved error resilience of SACD DST parsing.

Thanks for your patience and careful testing.

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:57 pm »

Hendrik made a change in 19.0.131 (to be released this week) that may fix the problem:
2. Changed: Improved error resilience of SACD DST parsing.

I re-enabled Auto import and within a couple of hours playing I got the crash. Near the end of 'Previous Log' there is an entry '238545109: 3032: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing'. This is what I've seen before. I have stored a log set and dump files if you need them, but I guess it is just as good to wait for v.131 and see if the problem is gone. I will disable Auto import again and continue playing

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:19 pm »

Feel free to mail me the log and dump to hendrik at jriver.com, and I can quickly conclude if its the same issue that was fixed, or maybe I can squeeze some more fixes in.
MC should create its own crash dump in the log directory for crashes, so if you created one of your own, thats not required in this case. The log zip file should contain a "Previous Crash.dmp" with all the info we need (and its much smaller than the manual dumps).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2014, 03:35:17 pm »

Unfortunately I just had a crash without Auto import enabled. Logging was not enabled this time so I've got nothing to send I'm afraid. Seems the problem I have is something else then... 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2014, 11:27:00 am »

131 is available now. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2014, 03:30:36 am »

ogs, I've looked at the log and dump you send me, and something puzzled me.

It says you're playing a .flac file (ie. M:\Music\Esperanza Spalding\Chamber Music Society\5-Wild Is The Wind.flac) but at the same time it thinks you're playing a "wav" file.

Can you check your library for the "File Type" field, and check what its set to for these files?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 02:47:15 am »

It says you're playing a .flac file (ie. M:\Music\Esperanza Spalding\Chamber Music Society\5-Wild Is The Wind.flac) but at the same time it thinks you're playing a "wav" file.

Can you check your library for the "File Type" field, and check what its set to for these files?

Hendrik, thanks for looking into this.
Field says "File type" is flac. Its dowloaded from HDtracks. Very strange. I have a few wav files in the library, but as far as I can remember I did not play any of these in the session before the crash.
I'm running .131 now and experienced a crash last night. Again I had not engaged logging! Will send a log set to you as soon as I get a new crash.
I can easily wipe the library and do a rebuild if you think this may help.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »

This reminds me of the issue I reported a little while back, although that was with mp3's I'd used the rename/ copy tool to shift into AACs.

Try doing a right-click and update library from tags on the offending file if it thinks it's a WAV, and this may (or may not!) help matters :)

-Leezer-

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2014, 01:22:26 pm »

This reminds me of the issue I reported a little while back, although that was with mp3's I'd used the rename/ copy tool to shift into AACs.

Try doing a right-click and update library from tags on the offending file if it thinks it's a WAV, and this may (or may not!) help matters :)

-Leezer-

Hi,
I've tried all sorts of things to get rid of this fault. Also your tip above, thanks. It is not repeating on a particular track or album. That is why I think the problem is deeper in the code. A similar crash occurs on the Linux version. I'll just be patient and a fix will turn up at some point

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2014, 03:44:04 pm »

I m still having this issue as well...

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2014, 09:06:11 am »

Hendrik,

any progress on finding the cause for the crashes? I'm back to squeezelite + LMS on a Debian based distro for stability while waiting for JRiver to fix this. I miss the flexibility of MCs DSP engine, but stability is more important. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2014, 09:20:01 am »

MC doesn't have a general stability problem at this time. 

It would help if you can narrow down the problem to something we can reproduce.  A bad file could cause this sort of thing.

Try a new test library with a very small number of files, stored locally.

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2014, 11:08:59 am »

MC doesn't have a general stability problem at this time. 

Hi Jim,

I do not at all believe MC has a general stability problem. This is something specific that happens to me and a few others. I have been thinking I should order an Id to see if an appliance delivered by JRiver is stable in my setting. That is why I asked about an iso for the Id in the other thread. If I can use full  DSP with the Id I am tempted.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

We need to narrow down where the problem could be.  Drive, network, other software, etc.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »

I do not at all believe MC has a general stability problem. This is something specific that happens to me and a few others.

There's never going to be progress unless we can, collectively, narrow down the cause.  They'll fix it, I'm sure, if the problem is within MC itself, but they have to be able to reproduce it.  Waiting and hoping will never work.

So... If you want it fixed, we'll need your help.

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2014, 12:32:50 pm »

So... If you want it fixed, we'll need your help.

Yes I know... I'll be traveling till beginning of June. After that I will try to do some work narrowing in on the problem.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »

Yes I know... I'll be traveling till beginning of June. After that I will try to do some work narrowing in on the problem.

K.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »

I've discovered, more times than not, this buffering issue occurs when I click "play" on an album MC hasn't played before...?
If I play that same album 1st, as soon as I start mc, it'll play it. It would seem after MC has run for awhile, the issue is more likely to happen. Dunno if that helps at all. Lol

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »

Maybe some progress here.
I set up my NAS to only use NFS to share the music folder. I then enabled the NFS client driver in WS2012R2 and mapped the music folder. I've not had any crash after this. If this continues to be stable the problem may be with the Samba version running on my Readynas or some incompatibility between Windows and Samba as the error occurs when accessing files via SMB.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »

I highly doubt that is where the problem lies...
Before you hijacked my thread, the discussion was purely about local media librarys (USB drive) as is my case...
But anyways...it could be you found another bug that the MC crew can look at and fix and it possibly might have some related consequence with other operations to do with the library.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2014, 05:33:42 pm »

There was a Samba bug a few years ago that was fixed by updating the firmware.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2014, 08:13:19 am »

Update...
Running the latest version of MC20, and all has been well, until....
Started optimizing services (shutting down unneeded services), and the freezing at "buffering" issues has crept back up again.
Are there implicit services that MC needs to function properly?
Please advice
(running Server 2012 R2 Essentials)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2014, 08:29:45 am »

Running the latest version of MC20, and all has been well, until....
Started optimizing services (shutting down unneeded services),
That is not a good thing to try.  You've probably discovered why.

Windows doesn't normally need modification to work perfectly with audio.

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2014, 08:54:55 am »

Normally, no...
But I'm trying to squeeze every last bit outta my box. Lol
It's what I do :)

Wungun

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:50 pm »

Can you tell me if there are any services that MC needs to function properly? Indexing maybe?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »

Sorry, but you're on your own if you want to tweak Windows.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up