INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you send video out over Displayport and audio over hdmi at same time?  (Read 6074 times)

bulldogger

• World Citizen

Can you use displayport for 4k 60hz video and concurrently use hdmi for audio into your surround processor? Adapters will not work because none support 4k 60hz. Can you keep audio and video in sync if this is possible?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

HDMI is a bit picky, with many devices it doesn't work properly if no video is going over the connection at the same time.
You could simply try it, maybe you're lucky and it works for your combination of devices. In theory it works, if your devices cooperate.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bulldogger

• World Citizen

I don't have any devices with displayport. Both audio and video would be going out over both connections. The processor would just be stripping out the audio from hdmi. I would buy a projector with displayport if I knew this would work.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Sending video with or without audio to the projector via Displayport should work without issue. I assume you are comfortable with this.

Then if you select a graphics card that is dual monitor capable, one over HDMI and one over Displayport, you should be able to select the resolution that you show on the HDMI output. Therefore, whether the HDMI adapter can handle 4K or not doesn't cause any issue. If the HDMI out requires a monitor to be connected, any HDMI Adapter such as HDMI Doctor would emulate a monitor at a lower resolution for you, and allow you to send sound to your surround processor via HDMI. Of course you may need to temporarily connect a monitor to HDMI to set this all up.

At least, that makes sense to me. The real issue is what Graphics card do you have, or are you going to buy, and can it handle the above configuration?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bulldogger

• World Citizen

Thanks RoderickGI. I plan to purchase the AMD Radeon R9 290x.

bulldogger

• World Citizen

This is just not feasible now. Even if I wanted to use displayport, I can not find any cables long enough to reach my projector. I'll just wait for HDMI 2.0 on GPU.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Displayport has been a big disappointment all around as far as I can tell. Certainly my experience has been bad.

I'm surprised though that you couldn't find a supplier of long cables, because I believe some professional home theatre installers use them, or used to. Probably all custom made and very expensive. Maybe not 4K capable though. Apparently lots of projector cables are Bit Rate Reduced and not Displayport 1.2 HDR compliant.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up