INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRTools.dll crashes other sound related apps  (Read 9585 times)

AlexS

• World Citizen
JRTools.dll crashes other sound related apps
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:52:57 pm »

Hello

Today I installed Media Center 19.0.74 running Windows 7 64 bit.
I also ran windows update and rebooted.
JRiver in itself works fine, however I came into other issues.

I run Sonar X3 DAW software on my machine. If I reboot and then immediately run X3 and go to it's driver settings I get this (here is the config file). The only way to remove these settings in X3 (as far as I'm aware) is to uninstall Media Center.

Which writes in its config file like this:

[JRiver Media Center 19 (0 in, 8 out)]
InputLatencyOffset=0
UseAsioReportedLatency=1
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut1=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut2=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut3=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut4=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut5=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut6=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut7=0
MME.DriverMap.UseWaveOut8=0

Secondly Sonar X3 is extremely stable unless Media Center is installed, under these conditions Sonar will regularly crash with a faulting JRTools.dll:

Application Error   1000   (100)
Faulting application name: SONARPDR.exe, version: 20.0.3.239, time stamp: 0x526fbabb
Faulting module name: JRTools.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52815fd1
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000002fbee80
Faulting process id: 0x1474
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee312f2baa423
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR X3 Producer\SONARPDR.exe
Faulting module path: JRTools.dll
Report Id: b271b920-4f06-11e3-8fa8-842b2bb1d3ad

Please note I have also tried disabling the service JRiver Media Centre Service 19 and no change.

So my questions are:

* How can I stop these JRiver MME sound drivers from being detected in Sonar?
If I reset the Sonar configuration the entries keep coming back. I would in fact like to just get rid of them completely if possible.

* Why is JRTools.dll running even when I haven't had media center running since booting the PC?

* Why is JRTools.DLL interfering and crashing with other applications?

I found one solution to all this and that was removing Media Center, whereupon stability returned.
However at a later stage I would like to reinstall the product once this issue is sorted out.

Any ideas please?

Thanks!

Alex

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: JRTools.dll crashes other sound related apps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 07:34:24 pm »

Sorry for the trouble.

It sounds like unloading the JRiver ASIO driver is causing problems.

For now, you could install, then rename the [MC]\Drivers folder where the ASIO drivers are installed to [MC]\Drivers1.

We'll try to reproduce and follow-up in a few days.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:00:29 pm »

Hi Matt.

I've reinstall it and followed your instructions, I can confirm the workaround works - great :).
Look forward to an update sometime, I appreciate your help thankyou...

Alex

(ps I've edited the first post for typos)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:38 am »

Could you test the latest build from the top of this board and see if the problem is fixed?

Thanks.

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »

Hello

Today I installed Media Center 19.0.74 running Windows 7 64 bit.
I also ran windows update and rebooted.
JRiver in itself works fine, however I came into other issues.

I run Sonar X3 DAW software on my machine.

i can confirm this same problem.... 19.0.67.... Ableton Live (playing back using ASIO driver of my audio interface) crashes out and blames jrtools.dll

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:48:35 pm »

i can confirm this same problem.... 19.0.67.... Ableton Live (playing back using ASIO driver of my audio interface) crashes out and blames jrtools.dll

Please update to the latest build of Media Center from the top of this board and test again.

Thanks.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »

Hi Matt.

Sorry, sadly no change in behaviour whatsoever.

Thanks...

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »

19.0.87 - Still no change in behaviour, has this been triaged?

Thanks....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 11:23:14 pm »

We've never been able to reproduce this, but you can now disable the ASIO driver in Options > General > Features.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 12:38:06 am »

Well here's another person who can...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85581.0

Clearly your app is conflicting with other ASIO apps even when it is closed. Of course I would like to use ASIO with Media Centre.

Thanks..

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 12:42:55 am »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:05 am »

If you're having problems, turn off the ASIO driver (instructions above).

This is unrelated to ASIO playback in MC.

bfburkejr

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:26:13 pm »

As soon as I started using Media Center 19 I started having the same problems with SONAR X2. It was stable with Media Center 18. It's like now Media Center wants to take over everything with it's drivers. I use WASAPI with Media Center, always have and ASIO with SONAR, always have. I am Very Frustrated. I don't seem to be having the same problem with Ableton Live, but that is not my main DAW. SONAR is Leaps and Bounds ahead of Ableton with the sound you can get producing cd's. There is no comparison. Also Ableton is a loop based program and SONAR is a Linear Program. Even though both will do either, that is how they are configured. I use MOTU 424-PCIe card based DAC's and their USB based Midi. I have a24 I/o and a 2408 MKIII box as well as a MIDI express 128. I use their drivers. IO use them because they work well with their hardware and they sound amazing. They are full on professional equipment, not prosumer. Just the MOTU hardware cost well over $2000, so I am not going to chuck that for something else and go out and but something other than SONAR, which I have been using since v.7. The problem is in the programming of Media Center 19, plain and simple. I do love my Media center and have used it for more than 15 years, but I will give it up or go back to an earlier version and then start looking for a replacement id I have to. Has anyone heard from Media Center as to whether they are planning on fixing their programming glitch or not? BTW I will be getting X3 , just haven't gotten around to it and also am waiting to see what happens with the Tascam thing. SONAR has been around a lot longer than media Center and has always been very stable. Please let me know if anyone hears of a fix or comes up with one, I might try calling Cakewalk, they have a great Customer Service Dept. Something Media Center could do a bit better on I think. I am also having some strange things happening with Reason as well and I haven't Used Ableton all that much recently to be honest, so we will see what happens. Please contact me about any fixes you hear about. bfburkejr@live.com or send me a message here although I don't use it all that much. This truly isn't an ASIO thing. It's a Media Center 19 driver thing or audio engine thing.
Peace,
Brian

bfburkejr

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »

Well I just had Ableton live crash, which it has never done it gave an error message about some driver conflict. I couldn't find the error code in help so I sent it off to Ableton. Hope it's just a random error.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 09:41:49 pm »

Have you tried disabling Media Center's ASIO driver?

Tools → Options → General → Features → ASIO Driver

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:47 pm »

If I click on media centre icon I get the default screen for when you start media centre for the very first time, so I've never run it on my machine.

The workaround works for me (renaming the folder) which proves this is an issue with JRiver at this time, we've had another Sonar user reproduce this as well and a Ableton Live user. I am running a Saffire Pro 40 and now a Kontrol Z1 with no issues, until JRiver ASIO functionality kicks in. The event viewer error speaks for itself really...

BTW If you don't get this in your event viewer:

Application Error   1000   (100)
Faulting application name:  [Your app], version: 20.0.3.239, time stamp: 0x526fbabb
Faulting module name: JRTools.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52815fd1
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000002fbee80
Faulting process id: 0x1474
Faulting application start time: 0x01cee312f2baa423
Faulting application path: [Your app]
Faulting module path: JRTools.dll
Report Id: b271b920-4f06-11e3-8fa8-842b2bb1d3ad

Cheers..

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55:41 pm »

Have you tried disabling Media Center's ASIO driver?

Tools → Options → General → Features → ASIO Driver

If I do this and go to Sonar X3 it will no longer show any Focusrite Saffire or Kontrol Z1 ASIO settings whatsoever, so still not good behaviour. So I'm keeping this setting as disabled as suggested, but I also have the original folder workaround in place (renaming the drivers folder stops the issue).

You still need to fix this! Thanks! (19.0.103)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:43:57 am »

It is very unlikely that there is a bug in how MC does ASIO.  It gets used a lot, without problems.

The ASIO driver itself is the most likely.  It comes from the device maker.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 08:09:37 am »

Sadly I think we are in denial here esp when more than one person can repro this and not just with Sonar.

Focusrite supply the best ASIO drivers in the business. I have another ASIO card where this is replicable as well (I can switch the saffire off get the same problem). When I used Focusrite or Native Instruments drivers or software it does not override Sonar settings, JRiver does this however.

Finally a JRiver DLL crashes Sonar (not a focusrite DLL or a Native Instruments DLL). By the law of deduction and also via a smoking gun (DLL) this is a JRiver issue sadly, I wish I could find somewhere else to point at and blame but it's just too obvious.

Thanks...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 09:06:21 am »

There are no generic ASIO drivers.  They come with the audio device.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:21 am »

There are no generic ASIO drivers.  They come with the audio device.

Fair enough, but see my original post to show what Sonar detects in it's driver settings.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:33 am »

We've never been able to reproduce this, but you can now disable the ASIO driver in Options > General > Features.
Did you do this?  Are you running the latest build?  What number?

gappie

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:03 am »

mr alex S, as far as I see in your posts disabling mc's asio driver helps. then why not leave them disabled? the option to disable seems to be made for when there are conflicts.. and you don't need them to playback asio with mc.

:)
gab

edit: im a slow typer. :)

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:06:38 am »

Disabling the driver and renaming the folders are valid workarounds yes, although I have to keep renaming the folder everytime I upgrade.

Cheers...

bfburkejr

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 07:41:16 pm »

I just renamed the ASIO files as JriverASIOfiles.dll.BAK.$$$.%%% files and it is working so far, I still get strange messages from time to time about wave drivers not being available and such, which, I never got before 19. I also had some trouble with driver detection on stand alone Plug-in Instruments, but they worked after I rebooted my computer. It all very strange. I does seem as though one and a while something strange will happen with a file or program related to sound ever since installing Media Center 19 ?

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 08:59:03 pm »

> I just renamed the ASIO files as JriverASIOfiles.dll.BAK.$$$.%%% files and it is working so far

You just need to rename the drivers folder (not the files) and then
Tools → Options → General → Features → ASIO Driver -> Untick.

Then everytime you upgrade JRiver check it again.

Ta

gappie

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 01:51:06 am »

ive been testing a bit.. and you are right. the disable function for the asio driver does not really work. I disabled it in the features and rebooted, and the asio driver was still there. I reinstalled mc , and that did not work. then I went into the registry and took away the reference to the asio driver from jriver (do this on your own risk and when you know what you are doing, its under local machine>software>asio). that helped :). and reinstalling did not bring him back..

after this the behaviour changed a bit. enabling the asio driver did not work until I reinstalled, and the entry in the registry came back.
I disabled the driver again.. that did not help until I reinstalled and the entry in the registry disappeared.
ive done this at least 5 times. :)

so at first I could not get rid of the asio driver even when reinstalling until I went into the registry and removed it there.
after that the asio switch only worked after reinstalling everytime I switch.

:)
gab

EDIT: I want to add, I did this on a windows 7 machine. Weint to see if it also works that way on my XP machine , and there everything works as expected.  ? could it be some uac issue?

EDIT II: looks like an uac thing.. when I turn uac of it works. when I turn it back on to recommended, nothing happens (also nos screen asking if I let mc change something). and then, ofcourse when reinstalling it asks permission and the setting change for the asio driver is honoured.  :P

jkleban

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 06:20:07 pm »

Add me to the list of SONAR X3 users that is having issues with JR just installed.  SONAR became very unstable and I tried all options outside of JR to fix to no avail. The only way for me to get my DAW back up and running reliably was to completely uninstall JR media software.  I am using the latest version of JRM and my PC is up to date with all the latest drivers.

My sound system install UAD2 platform and after reading this thread, it appears that JRiver and SONAR can not live together on the same machine.  Renaming folders may work and I will try but if each upgrade to JRM recreates the folder name and has to be renamed, I consider this a work around and not a fix to the problem.

I decided to spend the $50 on a real program so I wouldn't have to deal with these type of issues with some FREEWARE player.  Very disappointed to see an attempt at denial on J RIVERs part and it inspired me to pile on so JRiver takes the responsibility that their software isn't playing well with other PROFESSIONAL programs (or at least SONAR).

i hope that JRiver position changes on this matter and that they look in the mirror on this one instead of blame storming.

Jim

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:35 am »

Jim please check the thread, you don't just rename the folders you have to go into preferences as well.... And don't forget to repeat the procedure everytime you upgrade... until they decide to fix this
Here's to hoping  :-\
Cheers..

DBronx

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 04:21:22 pm »

Hi All,

Found this thread because I was having a similar issue with an fresh install of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 on Win7. Movie Studio would consistently hang on launch with the following error:

Faulting application name: MovieStudioPlatinum130.exe, version: 13.0.0.879, time stamp: 0x52d411bf
Faulting module name: JRTools.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52fdc22a

So I renamed the JRTools.dll (at Program Files (x86)\JRiver and the x64 directory within). That enabled me to launch Movie Studio (albeit with an error about JRiver not being installed properly). However, Movie Studio did launch and initialize.

So I then restored the name of the file and directory; and Movie Studio launched properly! Not sure what is causing this weirdness, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

AlexS

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 03:13:56 am »

@DBronx .
I suspect you may be coming back to post here when you next upgrade JRiver to say you have similar issues.
When that happens I would not rename jriver.dll and you need to turn of ASIO in preferences (further details in the thread).

stevent10993

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 08:46:01 am »

I'm yet another user experiencing these same problems. I recently bought and installed the version 19.0.117 of Media Center on two Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate computers. In both cases, Media Center seems to run fine and does not crash. Unfortunately since installing Media Center, Sonar X3d to crashes constantly, and Sound Forge 11 build 272 is unable to launch.

As first, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Sound Forge on both computers. As I've read elsewhere in these forums, no luck. Then, I uninstalled Media Center on the first PC and Sound Forge launched fine. This computer uses the onboard sound chip and realtek driver.

Sadly, on the second PC, even uninstalling did not fix the instability. So I had to restore a month old image and then install a whole lot of updates. This computer has a RME Raydat / ASIO driver and a UAD-2 Quad installed, and so is far more complex.

This said, I use these programs daily in my business and have had no instability whatsoever until installing Media Center 19.

I had hoped to use Media Center to run Acourate. But as it currently is, I can't find a way to tolerate all the crashes.

Hoping for a solution.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:23 am »

As mentioned before, if you experience these issues and don't need the ASIO input device functionality of Media Center, you can simply turn off the ASIO driver in Options -> General -> Features.
Sadly we're yet unable to reproduce such issues ourselves, which means fixing them is infinitely harder.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »

i have the same issue but with a program called OtsAV.
i have to shut that down OtsAV to get media center to do an update because OtsAV sees the media center asio drivers and errors out when it tries to update.
my default sound card is the on board sound which is what media center uses and OtsAV uses my sound blaster card.
it says to make sure jrtools.dll is not in use.
once i shut it down, no problems.
not a big issue, i just disabled the automatic update

i forgot to mention, doing the Options > General > Features and untick asio driver does remove the media center asio drivers from OtsAV.
Scott

stevent10993

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:12 am »

Hendrik, have you tried downloading the Sound Forge 11 trial to see if you can replicate the problem? I've replicated this problem on two different computers. Also, the problem with Sonar X3 (and X2) is much different. Sound Forge 11 hangs on load; Sonar X3 constantly crashes.

Obviously, Media Center is involved. JRTools.dll is listed as the cause in both crash logs, and removing Media Center solves both problems.

As for not needing the Asio driver, in my case, I wanted to use Acourate FIR filters in Media Center to correct for room inaccuracies. But to get proper low latency in my system, my sound card (an RME Raydat) requires me to use the Asio driver. Thus I'm stuck at this point.

Having read the forums in search of a solution, it's clear the developers care. And are extremely responsive. I only wish there was a way to help you to replicate the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:01 am »

As for not needing the Asio driver, in my case, I wanted to use Acourate FIR filters in Media Center to correct for room inaccuracies. But to get proper low latency in my system, my sound card (an RME Raydat) requires me to use the Asio driver. Thus I'm stuck at this point.
You can still use ASIO _output_ in MC.  The feature setting only disables ASIO _input_.

stevent10993

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »

Disabling the ASIO input into MC negates the whole point of my using MC. I want to send the audio output from my DAW (either Sonar X3 or Sequoia 12) into Media Center so I can use the DSP section of MC to load an Acourate FIR filter, then send the output to my RME Raydat card. If the audio can't be routed to the input of MC, then none of this can happen.

John Schuermann

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 05:49:25 pm »

Add me to the list of people having a conflict between JRiver and Sonar.  Whenever I open a Sonar project, JRiver starts as well!  I get no audio playback in Sonar plus video playback is extremely slow.

John Schuermann

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »

My sound card / computer interface -

M-Audio 2626.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 06:14:16 pm »

As mentioned before, if you experience these issues and don't need the ASIO input device functionality of Media Center, you can simply turn off the ASIO driver in Options -> General -> Features.
Sadly we're yet unable to reproduce such issues ourselves, which means fixing them is infinitely harder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up