INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy File from Server?  (Read 1161 times)

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Copy File from Server?
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:52:35 pm »

Remotely pointing mc19 on my notebook to my mc19 library on my home mc server and unable to copy mp3 file to the notebook. Using Library Tools/RenameCopyMove function and it looks like the Getfile syntax is supposed to do it but no file comes over to notebook.

Is it possible to copy in this manner or some other setup required?

Rick

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Copy File from Server?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:59:47 am »

in MC on your notebook under options, handheld, you could add a device.. this can be a folder on your notebook. the folder will show up in the tree under drives & devices. that way you can pull any file from the server to the client.

:)
gab

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:10:00 pm »

Coincidentally had the same issue today as Rick. Also like the "handheld" option and will give it a try. But still - why is the copy function not working as supposed?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copy File from Server?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:37:48 pm »

Client copies of MC can only use the files for operations like Send To > External and Drag-and-Drop to Explorer when the source path is available in the same location on the client as it is on the server.

So, in other words, if the Server has imported the file as:
M:\Audio\Music\ABBA\etc\etc\song.mp3

Then the CLIENT has to have the same file in the same spot.  This means, generally, you need to mount a network drive on the client, or import all of your files on the SERVER using UNC-style paths, instead of pointing directly at drive letters.  And, if you're using the client copy of MC from "outside your LAN" you'll probably need a VPN.

Rename, Move, and Copy doesn't work from Client copies of MC at all.  It would be nice if this was tweaked to allow only the Copy operations, and I've asked for as much in the past, but it does not work currently.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up