INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integration with an RTi Remote  (Read 4652 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Integration with an RTi Remote
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:23 pm »

I have an RTi remote in my cinema room.

What options do I have for integrating jriver with that remote?
Is it simply a case of emulating windows media centre or is there another option?
Is there a doc somewhere (I can't find one of the wiki) that explains what it can control?

Thanks
Matt

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Integration with an RTi Remote
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:09:51 pm »

Anyone have any thoughts/info on this? Even not specifically RTi, any info on integration with other mainstream remotes would be interesting.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:25:46 pm »

OK So I'll take a stab at it (bearing in mind I'm not familiar with how the RTi systems work)...

If your PC has an IR receiver, MOST of these are MS MCE clones and yes, emulating an MCE remote with your RTi one should work. I (along with others) have programmed my Logitech One to emulate the MCE remote and it works great.

As to what it controls, could you be more specific? If you're emulating an MCE remote, most of the functionality is there - Direction pad, OK button, numbers, LiveTV, Recorded TV, My Movies etc all work and direct to Theater View sections. Volume, Channel buttons work. Guide button goes to TV guide, info (i) button now displays On Screen Display while watching content.

Hope that has somewhat answered your question. If not, let me know.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:37 am »

OK So I'll take a stab at it (bearing in mind I'm not familiar with how the RTi systems work)...

If your PC has an IR receiver, MOST of these are MS MCE clones and yes, emulating an MCE remote with your RTi one should work. I (along with others) have programmed my Logitech One to emulate the MCE remote and it works great.

As to what it controls, could you be more specific? If you're emulating an MCE remote, most of the functionality is there - Direction pad, OK button, numbers, LiveTV, Recorded TV, My Movies etc all work and direct to Theater View sections. Volume, Channel buttons work. Guide button goes to TV guide, info (i) button now displays On Screen Display while watching content.

Hope that has somewhat answered your question. If not, let me know.
Thanks. I basically need something to control theater view & that can switch the app into theater view (if it's not already in theater view), some ability to call up certain settings during playback could conceivably be useful especially something around like controlling which madvr profile is active (since I have 2 displays) but I'm not sure if that is technically possible atm.

Is there a standard mapping of MCE controls to JRiver controls available? Can you route arbitrary button presses/macros to particular commands in jriver?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:56:11 pm »

Thanks. I basically need something to control theater view & that can switch the app into theater view (if it's not already in theater view),

Yes. Your standard MCE remote buttons will do this. If you're in Standard View, the button emulating the MCE "Guide" will take you to Theater View > Guide. Live TV will start playing TV in Display View. My recorded Shows will take you to Theater View My Shows.

some ability to call up certain settings during playback could conceivably be useful especially something around like controlling which madvr profile is active (since I have 2 displays) but I'm not sure if that is technically possible atm.

I don't believe this is possible from the remote.

Is there a standard mapping of MCE controls to JRiver controls available? Can you route arbitrary button presses/macros to particular commands in jriver?

You probably would be able to with a third party software like Girder. I think Glynor and a few others here use it to do complex commands.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:10:28 pm »

OK thanks for the info.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:07 pm »

Matt, did you get this working? Can you RTI remote issue HTTP commands so as to operate MC directly via MCWS?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 05:41:40 pm »

Matt, did you get this working? Can you RTI remote issue HTTP commands so as to operate MC directly via MCWS?
I have an MCE profile loaded into it with a USB dongle attached to the PC, works as per any MCE remote does. Whether you can make MCWS calls, and whether you can do 1 or 2 way comms, depends on which controller you have. Only the fancier controllers have 2 way though it looks like all current controllers have ethernet so at least 1 way should be possible with any current controller (my controller is old and has no ethernet port ).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:13:18 pm »

Thanks very much for the information. It's for someone who is considering a system with MC.

Doozer

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 12:34:27 pm »

RTI has a driver called "Two Way Strings." You can use that along with Eventghost for control of JRiver.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »

RTI has a driver called "Two Way Strings." You can use that along with Eventghost for control of JRiver.

Thanks. I also heard today that the controller in question can send http commands. MCWS works very well for me using iRule, and that might be the way to go here as well.

Doozer

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 01:23:05 am »

Thanks. I also heard today that the controller in question can send http commands. MCWS works very well for me using iRule, and that might be the way to go here as well.

Oh yea. I forgot about that. I like to use Eventghost because that gives you control over other parts of the computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up