INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate entries of the same song and path  (Read 4813 times)

stiv32

• World Citizen
Duplicate entries of the same song and path
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:54:39 pm »

Hello everyone,

has anyone had a similar problem? I have duplicate entries of the exact same paths and tracks. The songs and paths are the same, the only thing that might be different, are the playlists where I have added them.

I have had this problem before, but I thought I had solved the problem by deleting the database and re-importing the files.

I would delete the duplicates through a smartlist but I am afraid of losing songs from my playlists. I know I can't merge the playlist fields.

I have found one way to correct this. I can create a new database and import the files and playlists.

My only problem is that, in this way, I have to recreate my playlists' tree (folder and playlist tree). Is there a way I can reload/import it at the new database?

Thanks in advance

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Duplicate entries of the same song and path
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:11:47 pm »

Yes, I've reported it several times.  Its a bad flop that should never happen.  I'm sure it will get addressed at some point.   But because this is the DB we're talking about, I'm hoping it is sooner than later.

There should never be two files with exactly the same Filename in MC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:40:08 am »

I backed up my database, extracted all playlists and created an empty database in order to import one by one all my playlists and then re-import all the songs. In that way I could have a clean database (without duplicated entries of the same song) and without losing my playlists (which have taken a couple of thousand of hours to create).

Unfortunately all the extracted playlists are in m3u format and most of my songs have spanish and greek characters. That means that those tracks are left out when importing.

Should I export one by one all the playlists (the only way to extract in m3u8 format) and then import them again one by one at the new database?

Is there another way to clean up my database from the duplicated entries without losing songs from my playlists?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:37 am »

I believe the times I've seen this are after playlist imports, so this may be a key to reproducing the problem.

Maybe you can enable Logging, and see if you can reproduce the issue.  If so, report it here and save the log session.

I'm sure it will get looked at if the problem can be repeated or isolated.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:38:36 am »

I generally don't import playlists. I mainly export them.

Despite this, I just tried importing some playlists, each of which had the same songs in, but I couldn't reproduce the problem.

I think that it has to do with the importing function.

I has a similar problem, once that I had deleted some songs from a smartlist (choosing to delete from pc/to recycle bin) and when I ran import again, I had some duplicate entries. I solved that at that moment by deleting the whole database and re-importing the songs (unfortunately I can not afford (time-wise) to do that, this time).

MrC, how do I enable logging?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:10:01 am »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Something to consider... deleting the MC database (Library) to solve a problem is like demolishing the house to put out a kitchen fire.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:14:57 pm »

:) The only thing I could think of has to do with merging the playlists of the two identical files and then deleting the duplicate. Unfortunately I can not do that ;) .

I will try to reproduce the problem and upload here the log, but I am not sure about the outcome because I don't know how I got the duplicates at the first place.

If you have any more ideas on how to deal with this, please, let me know

MrC

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:24 pm »

I might be wrong about it being playlist import-related.  I reported the issue on the Mac board:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88138.msg606138#msg606138

Another report of it here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83163.msg599340#msg599340

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:20 am »

Thank you MrC! You are right again! During the last three months I have imported just two playlists, so it is easy to check your hypothesis. Fortunately I haven't deleted those playlists.

One of each of my duplicated entries, is in one of those two playlists (export, export 3). Unfortunately I have already used many of those files in my playlists. I am going to make a log file and upload it here, but firstly I need to find those files and replace them in the playlists.

blackearth

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:45 pm »

I have this same problem with certain albums in my library.  2 entries for each song.  A fix would be nice.   ;)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »

I have this same problem with certain albums in my library.  2 entries for each song.  A fix would be nice.   ;)

I am not sure a "fix" is what needed. If this was a common problem it would of been addressed.

If you start a new thread and explain your issue, I am sure you will get assistance...
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up