INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy playlist files on specific rep. ?  (Read 3134 times)

TCube

Copy playlist files on specific rep. ?
« on: April 30, 2014, 03:18:00 am »

Hello,

Context of use : FB close group / access to my home server.

I have a request, some FB friends asked me for playlists from my home server. I have a bunch of them organized with MC but are accessible through MC virtual file system and my Home server doesn't rely on "virtual" but on "physical rep."

Is there a simple way through MC to copy/paste files into a new hard drive directory files that are linked to a playlist ? (*)
Please give me some help knowing what "Send To (external) " / "Add - Edit Program" can do.

Thks a lot.
TC

(*) That would be very similar to Sync to a smartphone SD card, but internally,  sort of ...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Copy playlist files on specific rep. ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:00:32 am »

Create a virtual HH and sync to it via specific playlist or smartlist, or if this is a one shot, from the playlist, use Rename, Move & Copy in Copy mode.

FB - Frat Boys?  Ferris Bueller?  Feral Bat?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

TCube

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:41:46 pm »

Merci
One shot monthly. Going through the Action Window / Copy-Paste
TC

FB - French Boys  ;D

TCube

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:53:40 am »

Hello,

Quote : Going through the Action Window / Copy-Paste ... well not really satisfying.

Considering my experience with Sync to a smartphone, is a Sync to a local HD virtual device  takes the "Seq" field/tag into account in the same way ?
One simpler way Is there a possibility to implement one ID3 tag (track numbering aka "TRCK") where "Seq" would be the numbering from MC ? (*)
If not I would use tag editor "shuffle" and numbering process "track xx/track n" (**)
Thks
TC

(*) i.e http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tags
(**) "Fill Track Number from List Number" ... no effect still on Windows Explorer have to use external TagEditor to do so.

TCube

Re: moved from pscriptor thread
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:02:42 am »

Hello,

I think it will be faster to reorganize the file order in a program, than find each link in a m3u playlist that has a special character and correct it (this is what I have to do now each time I extract the playlist with the files through MC).

This is quite an headache for playlists and just FOR numbering them into m3u ! (aka  Tag fields mapping)
The only solution I found - & for many other issues - was an Apache Server looking through tables "Flash/Quicktime/Windows Player,etc." and get that darn m3u compatible. On the top of it, with Apache it's possible from the user "front desk' to choose his compatible format.
TC

For instance that would be :
Name    Internal Name      ID3v2     Vorbis Comment     APEv2             iTunes MP4        Windows Media
Track    track               TRCK     TRACKNUMBER     Track              trkn                  WM/Track [or] WM/TrackNumber

Personal note
MrC work is great, but raises a lot of questions about JRiver's software from earlier on JRiver's strategy revolving 'round it's proprietary own file format. With no "openness" from it  into the basic tools so we have to rely on "Third party Programs" written in Perl  ? . I can see the consequences today in a distributed Web Environment.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:27:00 am »

Personal note
MrC work is great, but raises a lot of questions about JRiver's software from earlier on JRiver's strategy revolving 'round it's proprietary own file format. With no "openness" from it  into the basic tools so we have to rely on "Third party Programs" written in Perl  ? . I can see the consequences today in a distributed Web Environment.

MC provides an amazing array of open APIs to access its database.  Of course the database is proprietary!  Even if they used something terrible (with awful performance characteristics for this kind of thing), like MySQL, the "database" itself would still be proprietary because you'd have to deal with its table structure!  That would be true of ANY database-driven application of a similar sort.

Sorry, that comment makes absolutely no sense.

MC has a very feature-filled COM API.
MC has a great REST API which you can access with ANY WEB BROWSER or with standard Rest components.
MC writes all tag data you want out to open standards where good ones exist, and to open (and easily machine-readable) XML files for those where it doesn't.

I have no idea what you're referring to, and I suspect you don't either.  It is NICE that MrC wrote a scripting system in Perl, but you don't have to use it by any means, and there are a wide variety of powerful ways to access the data inside MC.  It is, perhaps, the least locked down powerful media management application I've ever seen (and I've seen a TON of them, which cost WAY more than MC).

About the only places it is lacking where good standard exist is:
* XMP tag writing (which they've made improvements here since last I looked, I think)
* MKV tag writing (for which, unfortunately, there are tagging systems but no standards for tag names or contents, which means no other application would be able to read them anyway).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:20:47 am »

I've split the previous two posts from the pscriptor thread, and continued the discussion started in Reply #3.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:27:04 am »

Considering my experience with Sync to a smartphone, is a Sync to a local HD virtual device  takes the "Seq" field/tag into account in the same way ?
One simpler way Is there a possibility to implement one ID3 tag (track numbering aka "TRCK") where "Seq" would be the numbering from MC ? (*)
If not I would use tag editor "shuffle" and numbering process "track xx/track n" (**)

I hope I'm understanding what you are trying to accomplish.  It seems you want to use a sequence number and place it in file tags.

First, the Seq column in a playlist is only valid within the playlist.  It is not a field you can use to assign to other fields, for export or conversion.  For this, you can use other techniques to assign a numeric sequence of numbers (that will match Seq if the playlist is sorted by Seq).  See this technique -- you seem to want option 3, using Counter():

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88395.msg606017#msg606017
   http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88962.0

Make your own custom use field, set the Save in file tags option, and use Counter() as mentioned in the first link to assign this field.  Your file tags will now contain the field (once MC updates them) and your conversions will also contain the field/value.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:37:53 am »

Personal note

Although glynor already addressed this, I'll add my 2 cents.  Since this thread was posted in the pscriptor thread, my comments will be relevant to that tool, its rationale and MC.

I entirely disagree with you that supplemental tools call into question choices made by the developers.  MC does very many things, very well.  Like all software, there are strengths, and there are some weaknesses.

You do not have to rely on "Third part Programs" written in Perl.  As glynor mentions, there are many avenues for users and developers to have access to the MC data.  Pscriptor was written* so that I, and anyone else who chooses to, could do some things that are more difficult in MC, or I'll say even impossible.  This is not a reproach of MC - rather, it points to the strength of MC for providing means to do even more powerful things with external tools.  That's awesome.

Since you haven't specified what you are ultimately trying to accomplish, it is hard to comment on best approaches for your needs.  But it sounds like you are familiar with your own methods and are unfamiliar with MC's access mechanisms, so fault the design and implementation choices made for MC.

So let's step back... what are you ultimately trying to accomplish?

* if you want to know more about pscriptor, its reason for existing, and about using Perl as the scripting language, see the first pscriptor thread.

TCube

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 12:30:31 pm »

Hello,

I may edit my reply later or not as to the incriminated post that was taken out from another topic [replied by you/glynor] or maybe I won't just throw anymore salt on wounds.

I'll will be happy to go through the creation of a specific field in playlists in order to get a numbering; success it will be if only this new "playlist numbering"  is just seen by Windows Explorer (really basic stuff).

So let's step back... what are you ultimately trying to accomplish?

Well addressing resources over a Homer Server for complete CD and playlists in the right order of tracks whether it be listening or DL.
TC

MrC

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »

Don't worry about editing - no feathers were ruffled.  We're all friends here.

Where in Explorer do you want to see this value?  Properties?  A details column?

Do you need to handle the case where a file is in multiple playlists?  What will be the value of your sequence number field in such a case?

TCube

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:58:27 pm »

Hello MrC

- There is a detail column "N°" in explorer.
"Do you need to handle the case where a file is in multiple playlists?"

I think MC would handle the case for "remove duplicates" in a Playlist group... but it doesn't. So  if i ever get into that much troubles : my strategy would be completely different, meaning I would use a different Home Server capable of handling files within virtual folders. And work from there.

TC

MrC

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 02:08:06 pm »

I have a column "#", not "N°".  Are they the same fields?

If so, this is just Track # in MC, which should write out to the file-specific tag.  Explorer does not support all file types natively (i.e. FLAC).

MrC

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 02:12:04 pm »

I think MC would handle the case for "remove duplicates" in a Playlist group... but it doesn't.

You can work from a Smarlist to do this.  Have the smartlist include Playlists is any <your playlist group>.  Use the ~nodup Modifier.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 03:23:37 pm »

MrC, when you split a post, you should add a link in the original thread. I went looking for replies this afternoon and couldn't find anything and almost rage-quit before I found this.

Don't worry about editing - no feathers were ruffled.  We're all friends here.

Agreed!

MrC

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 04:08:06 pm »

Sorry, I thought a Topic Split email goes out to the previous posters.  No?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:52 pm »

Sorry, I thought a Topic Split email goes out to the previous posters.  No?

Nope.

MrC

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »

Ok, but you're still subscribed to the new (split) thread, right?  So you should have received an email notification when I said I split the topic and replied in the post:

I've split the previous two posts from the pscriptor thread, and continued the discussion started in Reply #3.

Anyway, I can post a link in the future.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 04:57:14 pm »

I wasn't subscribed.  I never subscribe, basically, unless I really really want to know right away.

Otherwise, I get so much email I ignore them all.

MrC

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 04:58:30 pm »

Ok, got it.  I've presumed we all are auto-subscribed by default, like I am.

TCube

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 12:17:37 am »

Hello MrC
You can work from a Smarlist to do this.  Have the smartlist include Playlists is any <your playlist group>.  Use the ~nodup Modifier.

Yes it's a possibility but I won't. Most unnecessary and utterly unfriendly to web end-users ("N" songs ? in one list ? )

It all started with your hypothetical question :
Do you need to handle the case where a file is in multiple playlists?  What will be the value of your sequence number field in such a case?

I'll just stick to an external tag editor one playlist at the time either/or follow your instructions to implement a value in a specific field in MC once and for all within the whole library.
Thks
TC

Pages: [1]   Go Up